Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Death of George Floyd Sparks Nationwide Protests, Riots, Police Violence

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    So, I'm tracking the protests here in Orlando pretty closely, as I live in the general downtown area and the main protest is probably a half mile from me, max. I heard a number at between 2,000 and 4,000

For most of the last few hours, it's been largely peaceful. We've had choppers flying above, we've had a VERY heavy police presence, we've had marchers, signs, and so on. We have messages of peace and love scrawled on the sidewalk in chalk. Our PD thanked the peaceful protesters, and warned that there are armed white supremacists looking to provoke violent confrontation nearby. Disappointing that those nazi thugs are coming to my neighborhood to start shit.

Twitter's going off like mad over the last hour, though. Protesters can't discern threat from protection when it comes to police (which, I can understand when you've got folks in riot gear and the trust is gone), and obviously, it's not like the PD can disclose movements/tactics. Lots of tweets saying that police are trying to trap folks and stop them from getting to their cars so they can be arrested for violating curfew, which feels like...making more work for them? There's been reports of mace used about 4 blocks from me; can't tell if they're accurate, seeing as I'd imagine I'd hear something that close.

I think the fear of what could happen is....overwhelming right now.

Edit - apparently the main protest group headed back to City Hall and is staging a sit-in.
    Last edited by G1000; 06-02-2020 at 09:39 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Beer Leaguer Midget Division
    Crazy times we're living in.

Banned Junior Division
    CIVILIAN GROUP FORMED TO PROTECT BROOKLYN

June 2, 2020 New York, NY

Holding Down Brooklyn South, a group of 100+ Brooklyn residents and business owners will be patrolling Brooklyn starting tonite armed with legal weapons, including baseball bats and more vowing to protect their community from looters. Group will meet tonite at 630 PM on Sheepshead Bay and Emmons Avenue.

Hundreds tonite will patrol and protect areas of Brooklyn, including Midwood, Gravesend, Marine Park, Mill Basin, Manhattan Beach, Coney Island, Bensonhurst, Brighton Beach and Sheepshead Bay.

“We are here to protect our community in South Brooklyn. We are here to defend only. We have respect for the struggle against racism, and the right to protest. But there is no right to destroy the place where we and our families live,” said Isaak Boltyansky and David Brodsky, community organizers. “Shame on the Mayor of New York for not protecting us. People will not be attacking cops on our watch nor will we watch them destroy businesses.”

Sent to me earlier today

Name a more iconic duo BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    Is he really resisting? Heís barely moving and they start hitting him. Itís almost like human nature to not just allow yourself to get your ass kicked gets completely ignored

Those knees are completely unnecessary. But as we are seeing time and time again, cops get to use excessive force or sit and allow excessive force to happen on their watch and face no consequences for it
    He's barely moving? He tried to crawl away lol. This is textbook resisting arrest.

We also don't know what he's being detained for, which is important.

Coaching Fail Bantam Division
    MSG needs NYPD night when Rangers play to live crowds again. Seems like the only place where they are appreciated

rebuilding Junior Division
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/02/polit...ell/index.html
    'Then the President, in a transparent attempt to push back on the storyline that he had to be whisked to a bunker below the White House to protect him from protesters in DC last Friday, strolled across H Street to St. John's Church and held a Bible aloft shortly after police had forcefully cleared peaceful protesters from Lafayette Park.'

I can't think of a clearer summation of Trump. The public pushed out of the way for a PR photo.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    He's barely moving? He tried to crawl away lol. This is textbook resisting arrest.

We also don't know what he's being detained for, which is important.
    He’s still when they aren’t hitting him. He loves when they start hitting him. Am I supposed to stand still when I’m getting hit?

Also what he’s being detained for is irrelevant. You don’t get extra shots in because the guy was a dick

Why don’t they arrest everyone like they did with mass murderer Dylan roof? Clean and easy, no violence. Can’t think of any reason why.....

For the police officers on here, Iím genuinely curious. Thereís talk of legislative action to repeal 50a which will makes cops records public. What are your thoughts on it? Iíve read from police union heads that they think itíll make targets on specific cops but as rank and file members of the department, what would your thoughts on it be?

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    It probably should make targets on specific cops. Bad ones. Stop protecting shit heads that make you look bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/02/polit...ell/index.html
    'Then the President, in a transparent attempt to push back on the storyline that he had to be whisked to a bunker below the White House to protect him from protesters in DC last Friday, strolled across H Street to St. John's Church and held a Bible aloft shortly after police had forcefully cleared peaceful protesters from Lafayette Park.'

I can't think of a clearer summation of Trump. The public pushed out of the way for a PR photo.
    I...uh...wha?

I cannot explain Republicans anymore. I could justify the fiscal Republicans over the years. I could justify the anti-terrorist run, and the warhawks when we knew we had battles that need fighting. Heck, I even understood the "don't take my guns" crowd (though their perceptions of gun control were, and are, fallacy arguments).

I cannot, for the life of me, justifiably explain the actions of a Republican party that watches the President of the USA systemically shred the virtues they claim to hold dear and then bury their heads in the sand. That the campaign literally said "that thing you saw on every channel never happened" is reprehensible; that McConnell dodges a question about the use of force on peaceful protesters is terrifying.

Two choices in November: Democrat or Treason.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    For the police officers on here, I’m genuinely curious. There’s talk of legislative action to repeal 50a which will makes cops records public. What are your thoughts on it? I’ve read from police union heads that they think it’ll make targets on specific cops but as rank and file members of the department, what would your thoughts on it be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    It probably should make targets on specific cops. Bad ones. Stop protecting shit heads that make you look bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    The main problem is what will be included. Will it have officers addresses in it? The other issue is how in depth will it go, and will it have the outcome of anything if its found false. Every cop has complaints and has been sued, and a lot of it is found to be not true. If a cops gets sued, even if the cop is in the right, the city tries to pay out a settlement rather than go to trial for everything, even if it makes the cop look bad when in fact they did the right thing. So will that be in it as well? I don't care if its made public if its used in the correct way, and doesn't give out personal information. I have nothing to hide myself, but I can see there being some issues on whats in it and how its presented.

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    So, I'm tracking the protests here in Orlando pretty closely, as I live in the general downtown area and the main protest is probably a half mile from me, max. I heard a number at between 2,000 and 4,000

For most of the last few hours, it's been largely peaceful. We've had choppers flying above, we've had a VERY heavy police presence, we've had marchers, signs, and so on. We have messages of peace and love scrawled on the sidewalk in chalk. Our PD thanked the peaceful protesters, and warned that there are armed white supremacists looking to provoke violent confrontation nearby. Disappointing that those nazi thugs are coming to my neighborhood to start shit.

Twitter's going off like mad over the last hour, though. Protesters can't discern threat from protection when it comes to police (which, I can understand when you've got folks in riot gear and the trust is gone), and obviously, it's not like the PD can disclose movements/tactics. Lots of tweets saying that police are trying to trap folks and stop them from getting to their cars so they can be arrested for violating curfew, which feels like...making more work for them? There's been reports of mace used about 4 blocks from me; can't tell if they're accurate, seeing as I'd imagine I'd hear something that close.

I think the fear of what could happen is....overwhelming right now.

Edit - apparently the main protest group headed back to City Hall and is staging a sit-in.
    That equipment is to protect the officers. There have been officers shot, had bricks thrown at them, had bleach thrown in their faces, have been run over by cars, been jumped and have had Molotov cocktails thrown at them, police cars set on fire. As much as your saying that the people can't trust the police, the same can be said the other way. Its a shame, but thats the reality of it. No officer wants to stand their for hours walking around with all of that crap on, but its better than taking a brick to the head. And you can't tell who the peaceful protestors are and who the non peaceful are. So its not really fair to judge the cops in this way. There is also lots of false info going out about the cops, there was a report that a cop was the one who started the riots by breaking store windows, when it was proven it wasn't, and the media still ran with it posting the officers name and photo. There is too much misinformation out there, and too many people that want there to be confrontation between both sides. We need to stop listening to politicians, most aren't helping at all and only making things worse for both sides, and the same with some of these community leaders. This was the perfect time to have the conversation about race and policing because almost everyone, cops and civilians, felt the same exact way about this situation and said the same exact things, but the way things have turned now, unfortunately thats killed any chance of that happening.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    For the police officers on here, I’m genuinely curious. There’s talk of legislative action to repeal 50a which will makes cops records public. What are your thoughts on it? I’ve read from police union heads that they think it’ll make targets on specific cops but as rank and file members of the department, what would your thoughts on it be?
    Honestly. The way things are going; who is going to want this job?

I dont see a problem with personnel records being public in reference to sustained Internal Affairs complaints. Those are complaints that have been proven and disciplinary action has been doled out.

I'm happy to be a union employee and have the protections that affords but at the same time, it sure makes it hard to get rid of problem employees. Problem employees create issues for administration as well as co workers. The disciplinary system needs an overhaul and after a certain number of sustained complaints, your protections should be limited.

In NJ we have the early warning system which attempts to recognize patterns of behavior before it becomes an issue.

https://nj.gov/oag/newsreleases18/pr20180320c.html

https://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/internal.htm

Food for thought; should those receiving government welfare also have their criminal history records made public? If not, then should private companies have to make their disciplinary records public for their employees? I'm expecting a resounding no from everyone; then what makes public safety personnel records so relevant to the general public? If in a criminal trial, someone's past cannot be held against them for any current offense, what makes it reasonable to be able to hold past offenses in contention when proving an allegation against a cop? Are you suggesting a different standard for the Police then the general public. Are Cops unable to make mistakes in the public's eyes? Are they unable to grow in their job and as a person and remove themselves from past concerning behavior? And if that growth takes place, are the unable to ever make a mistake again?

Be aware that the proof needed to sustain a complaint against an Officer is simply a preponderance of evidence as opposed to beyond a reasonable doubt so consider that 75% proof to make an Officer guilty of a complaint as opposed to 99% to prove a citizen guilty.

I'm just giving some food for thought here....no opinion included in the final 2 paragraphs.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jsm7302 View Post
    Honestly. The way things are going; who is going to want this job?

I dont see a problem with personnel records being public in reference to sustained Internal Affairs complaints. Those are complaints that have been proven and disciplinary action has been doled out.

I'm happy to be a union employee and have the protections that affords but at the same time, it sure makes it hard to get rid of problem employees. Problem employees create issues for administration as well as co workers. The disciplinary system needs an overhaul and after a certain number of sustained complaints, your protections should be limited.

In NJ we have the early warning system which attempts to recognize patterns of behavior before it becomes an issue.

https://nj.gov/oag/newsreleases18/pr20180320c.html

https://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/internal.htm

Food for thought; should those receiving government welfare also have their criminal history records made public? If not, then should private companies have to make their disciplinary records public for their employees? I'm expecting a resounding no from everyone; then what makes public safety personnel records so relevant to the general public? If in a criminal trial, someone's past cannot be held against them for any current offense, what makes it reasonable to be able to hold past offenses in contention when proving an allegation against a cop? Are you suggesting a different standard for the Police then the general public. Are Cops unable to make mistakes in the public's eyes? Are they unable to grow in their job and as a person and remove themselves from past concerning behavior? And if that growth takes place, are the unable to ever make a mistake again?

Be aware that the proof needed to sustain a complaint against an Officer is simply a preponderance of evidence as opposed to beyond a reasonable doubt so consider that 75% proof to make an Officer guilty of a complaint as opposed to 99% to prove a citizen guilty.

I'm just giving some food for thought here....no opinion included in the final 2 paragraphs.
    Thoughtful post.

Here's what I'll say, the bolded are separate issues. I'll speak to them separately.

Yes, absolutely cops should have a different standard. If I make a mistake at my job, a shitty ad makes it's way onto the internet, people don't click on it or don't download our app, we lose a little money. If a cop makes a mistake, someone can get killed. Him, his partner, or a civilian.

Are cops able to make mistakes? Depends on the mistake. Like all things, it's not black or white. It should be graded. What's wrong with a weighted three strike system? Small mistakes are one strike, large mistakes are three. The longer you go without a mistake, it drops off your record. If you change your behavior you get a clean slate. This system works everywhere. Driving points on your license expire. Infraction points on this board expire. Time since last suspension is considered in the NHL Supplemetal Discipline process.

The idea of cops policing cops doesn't work. Time for a revamp of the system. Put complaints in front of a review board made up of civilians, cops and lawyers. Let them decide.

There's probably 100 other ways to discipline a bad cop that are more effective than the current system.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Thoughtful post.

Here's what I'll say, the bolded are separate issues. I'll speak to them separately.

Yes, absolutely cops should have a different standard. If I make a mistake at my job, a shitty ad makes it's way onto the internet, people don't click on it or don't download our app, we lose a little money. If a cop makes a mistake, someone can get killed. Him, his partner, or a civilian.

Are cops able to make mistakes? Depends on the mistake. Like all things, it's not black or white. It should be graded. What's wrong with a weighted three strike system? Small mistakes are one strike, large mistakes are three. The longer you go without a mistake, it drops off your record. If you change your behavior you get a clean slate. This system works everywhere. Driving points on your license expire. Infraction points on this board expire. Time since last suspension is considered in the NHL Supplemetal Discipline process.

The idea of cops policing cops doesn't work. Time for a revamp of the system. Put complaints in front of a review board made up of civilians, cops and lawyers. Let them decide.

There's probably 100 other ways to discipline a bad cop that are more effective than the current system.
    I'm in agreement on this. The only thing that makes me hesitant is what if I arrested someone on this review board? If it is chosen separately for each case like jury selection with legal representation, I'm in for your idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Thoughtful post.

There is a system in place for punishments in the department, at least the city. If you get in trouble, if it’s minor it can be as little as a warning. But it can also be vacation days taken away, I’ve seen guys lose 30-40 days for doing stupid things, to probation dismissal for a year where if they screw up, they get fired, to being suspended for a certain amount of time with no pay and no health insurance to being fired. I’m lucky and only have a warning in 18 years, and it was for wearing white socks instead of black while I was in the academy at the range, we all wore them because we were told the wrong information. So there is a system in place.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    There is a system in place for punishments in the department, at least the city. If you get in trouble, if itís minor it can be as little as a warning. But it can also be vacation days taken away, Iíve seen guys lose 30-40 days for doing stupid things, to probation dismissal for a year where if they screw up, they get fired, to being suspended for a certain amount of time with no pay and no health insurance to being fired. Iím lucky and only have a warning in 18 years, and it was for wearing white socks instead of black while I was in the academy at the range, we all wore them because we were told the wrong information. So there is a system in place.
    That might be the case in New York, but it's not the case everywhere.

And frankly, shouldn't it be standardized?

It's in the NJ AG policy. All Departments in NJ have an Internal Affairs unit that operates in the same manner. Not sure about other states. I work in that capacity for my agency. The system is fair in my agency but in larger agencies and instances where an Officer was a political hire or was hired through nepotism, the system could be askew in doling equal punishments or ousting those whom are connected. I think minor discipline through IA is fine and in most agencies can be objective in being fair and ensuring the public's best interests are pursued as opposed to saving the job of a problem Officer.

However I think a system like Pete pointed out could restore faith in communities where they feel the Police are overstepping and abusive. In fact, Newark just instituted a public review board.

https://www.newarknj.gov/departments/ccrb

Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    That equipment is to protect the officers. There have been officers shot, had bricks thrown at them, had bleach thrown in their faces, have been run over by cars, been jumped and have had Molotov cocktails thrown at them, police cars set on fire. As much as your saying that the people can't trust the police, the same can be said the other way. Its a shame, but thats the reality of it. No officer wants to stand their for hours walking around with all of that crap on, but its better than taking a brick to the head. And you can't tell who the peaceful protestors are and who the non peaceful are. So its not really fair to judge the cops in this way. There is also lots of false info going out about the cops, there was a report that a cop was the one who started the riots by breaking store windows, when it was proven it wasn't, and the media still ran with it posting the officers name and photo. There is too much misinformation out there, and too many people that want there to be confrontation between both sides. We need to stop listening to politicians, most aren't helping at all and only making things worse for both sides, and the same with some of these community leaders. This was the perfect time to have the conversation about race and policing because almost everyone, cops and civilians, felt the same exact way about this situation and said the same exact things, but the way things have turned now, unfortunately thats killed any chance of that happening.
    I'll acknowledge that this is a hard time for all involved. The pain of the protesters is real, longstanding, and frankly, suppressed. The pain of the police is real too - it's a thankless fucking job that attracts power tripping assholes who make the lot of you look way worse than you ever intend to be.

I can't speak for the NYPD here, but I can speak to what I saw in my neighborhood yesterday. I'll say - I'm not judging the police; I'm assessing the situation. Police may have needed that level of protection here, but there's a clear lack of trust that needs to be addressed.

MOST officers were not in riot gear. Plenty of officers in "slightly more than standard" getups (i.e. bike cops with an equipment vest, maybe kevlar, not really sure), lots of UCs (had a civilian plated truck parked 2 blocks off with clothed officers in it too), but not really anything aside from a much heavier presence that would make me think "shit's going down". I can understand protesters getting very antsy when they see the cops go from standard-ish gear to full on riot gear, put on masks, etc, and there's no clear disturbance warranting it. Surely, you can too - in the same way that you as a cop can't tell the peaceful protester from the non-peaceful, neither can the overwhelming majority of the protesters. If 99.8% of the people are peaceful, but you just so happen to be standing next to the guy who thinks it's a good idea to throw rocks...chances are you're collateral damage. Nobody wants that either.

I don't agree with you that the change in tone has quashed the chance of conversation. If anything, it should accelerate it. If you don't want to be out there because you're scared for your safety, and they don't want to be out there because they're scared for their safety...it sounds to me like you want the same things. What I haven't seen is the police leadership take the most obvious steps: a call to fix the issues these folk are marching about. To be fair, that requires politicians with spines who actually want to fix things, not cowards like Trump and DeBlasio.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    I'll acknowledge that this is a hard time for all involved. The pain of the protesters is real, longstanding, and frankly, suppressed. The pain of the police is real too - it's a thankless fucking job that attracts power tripping assholes who make the lot of you look way worse than you ever intend to be.

I can't speak for the NYPD here, but I can speak to what I saw in my neighborhood yesterday. I'll say - I'm not judging the police; I'm assessing the situation. Police may have needed that level of protection here, but there's a clear lack of trust that needs to be addressed.

MOST officers were not in riot gear. Plenty of officers in "slightly more than standard" getups (i.e. bike cops with an equipment vest, maybe kevlar, not really sure), lots of UCs (had a civilian plated truck parked 2 blocks off with clothed officers in it too), but not really anything aside from a much heavier presence that would make me think "shit's going down". I can understand protesters getting very antsy when they see the cops go from standard-ish gear to full on riot gear, put on masks, etc, and there's no clear disturbance warranting it. Surely, you can too - in the same way that you as a cop can't tell the peaceful protester from the non-peaceful, neither can the overwhelming majority of the protesters. If 99.8% of the people are peaceful, but you just so happen to be standing next to the guy who thinks it's a good idea to throw rocks...chances are you're collateral damage. Nobody wants that either.

I don't agree with you that the change in tone has quashed the chance of conversation. If anything, it should accelerate it. If you don't want to be out there because you're scared for your safety, and they don't want to be out there because they're scared for their safety...it sounds to me like you want the same things. What I haven't seen is the police leadership take the most obvious steps: a call to fix the issues these folk are marching about. To be fair, that requires politicians with spines who actually want to fix things, not cowards like Trump and DeBlasio.
    while I agree with this last point, the spines they are lacking is due to cowtowing to the police departments and union heads who for so long have stood against any change

ill try to find the images, but do you remember when, after Eric Garner was killed, a group of police officers showed up to a protest wearing shirts thsta said 'I Can Breathe'

like, what kind of shit is that?

You are absolutely right, there of course are plenty of good cops. the problem I feel like, with the "Bad Apple" point that comes up literally every time police abuse their power, is that, if we were dealing with actual apples, and apples were killing dozens of people, we'd maybe review how we produce apples and stop them from killing people.

As all of this was kicking off, we saw instances of police departments taking knees with protesters, standing with them. there wasnt the type of violence when that happened.

then we saw other instances of that happening, where it was just for a photo-op, before police went back to clashing with protesters

While individual officers may in fact be good people who do their best, the leadership/apparatus/political arms of the police departments and police unions actively fight against reforms and increased accountability.

Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast