Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Death of George Floyd Sparks Nationwide Protests, Riots, Police Violence

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Man, the whole damn country is armed. We probably have more guns per capita than meals. You mean to tell me that a significant subset of these protesters don't own guns?

Maybe they just chose not to bring them because bringing guns to a protest is like waving a giant target at yourself.
    Not to mention a means of inciting mass panic. This is terrorizing enough. When shots start ringing, people will be trampled to death in the panic.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Man, I hear you, but you had colleagues run folks over with SUVs yesterday. Look at that laundry list of links BBBE posted. That's what you're up against. You haven't got a few bad apples. You've got bushels - law enforcement shooting riot control mechanisms at the media, at peacefully protesting crowds, at civilians. I don't think every cop acknowledges that Chauvin was a scumbag, because the reaction to protests against police brutality has been record amounts of police brutality. Sure, there's a confounding series of factors in the folks who came out to loot and riot, and frankly, in the "very good people" camp who came out with the sole intent of sowing chaos and creating strife.

I'm guilty of this as any of us, but it's just not enough to clutch the pearls and act like we're supposed to be better. We're not.
    Well, unfortunately there are bushels on both sides if you want to say that. There’s a laundry list of aggression where there was a precinct burned down, dozens of Police cars burned down, graffiti of KILL COPS seen, a Molotov cocktail thrown into a Police vehicle. There was a 53 year old Federal Officer in Oakland shot and killed during the first set of riots of Friday. Another shot in the same incident. There is a laundry list on both sides and it really sucks because honestly, there should be only one side on this and that’s us as a human race. This is why I say rioting never helps. It amps everything up even just once because no law enforcement agency is going to wait until attacked to prepare for the worst case scenario. Once it starts anywhere, the lines of protesting/marching and rioting gets very blurred. Very very blurred.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Wonder what would have happened to the gun toters in Michigan if they were black.
    Last edited by Pete; 05-31-2020 at 09:32 PM.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Man, the whole damn country is armed. We probably have more guns per capita than meals. You mean to tell me that a significant subset of these protesters don't own guns?

Maybe they just chose not to bring them because bringing guns to a protest is like waving a giant target at yourself.
    Did you watch any of the videos that were shared? You think a single cop riding on a horse is going to trample over someone in a crowd of people who are carrying? You think a cop is going to start shooting up at a house because they are outside filming?

It's a deterrent with the hopes that they do not have to be used. That's why the major countries in the world have nuclear weapons.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Well, unfortunately there are bushels on both sides if you want to say that. There’s a laundry list of aggression where there was a precinct burned down, dozens of Police cars burned down, graffiti of KILL COPS seen, a Molotov cocktail thrown into a Police vehicle. There was a 53 year old Federal Officer in Oakland shot and killed during the first set of riots of Friday. Another shot in the same incident. There is a laundry list on both sides and it really sucks because honestly, there should be only one side on this and that’s us as a human race. This is why I say rioting never helps. It amps everything up even just once because no law enforcement agency is going to wait until attacked to prepare for the worst case scenario. Once it starts anywhere, the lines of protesting/marching and rioting gets very blurred. Very very blurred.
    Ultimately the difference between a riot and a protest is usually "one asshole who wants to start shit". Unfortunately, whether organic or organized, there's a lot of assholes out there.

That said, and this may be unfair, but I do hold our law enforcement to a higher standard than the layman when it comes to keeping the peace.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Wonder what would have happened to the gun toters in Michigan if they were black.
    Are we allowed to have an opinion on this hypothetical even if we aren't black?

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Did you watch any of the videos that were shared? You think a single cop riding on a horse is going to trample over someone in a crowd of people who are carrying? You think a cop is going to start shooting up at a house because they are outside filming?

It's a deterrent with the hopes that they do not have to be used. That's why the major countries in the world have nuclear weapons.
    You think any of them would actually fire on a group of officers dressed like they're about to fight at Verdun?
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Ultimately the difference between a riot and a protest is usually "one asshole who wants to start shit". Unfortunately, whether organic or organized, there's a lot of assholes out there.

That said, and this may be unfair, but I do hold our law enforcement to a higher standard than the layman when it comes to keeping the peace.
    Oh I do too. We signed up for this. However we are still human after all and all the training in the world can’t really prepare you for so,e of the stuff going on. Btw one of the clips I saw where a Police car drove into the crowd I believe showed something hit the back of the car. Not defending but given the situation that could easily have sounded like a gun from inside the car. These are tense tense moments. It’s the idea of shouting fire in a crowded theater. Only takes one thing from either “side” to amp it all up. If you are protesting, be safe and the only advice I’d say is try not to be at that front front line. So much can go wrong and we all have families and loved ones too.

You think any of them would actually fire on a group of officers dressed like they're about to fight at Verdun?
    Can anyone here actually answer that question? Neither of us are black and oppressed.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Are we allowed to have an opinion on this hypothetical even if we aren't black?
    You're welcome to debate the issue, if you're capable.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    The answer you're looking for is "Yes".

Yes, cops would shoot at people holding guns.

Absolutely.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Can anyone here actually answer that question? Neither of us are black and oppressed.
    This is what people say when they know the answer doesn't fit their narrative.

You're welcome to debate the issue, if you're capable.
    Debate what?

You guys have the luxury of this POV on riots because you're not black.

It's the very definition of white privilege.
    I know that you have no right to talk about what black people should or shouldn't riot about. And that's really all I need to know.
    This is what people say when they know the answer doesn't fit their narrative.
    You set the bar.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Debate what?
    What would have happened in Michigan if the people who were armed were black.

Go for it.

What would have happened in Michigan if the people who were armed were black.

Go for it.
    That's not a debate. That's a hypothetical with no provable outcome. Just like it's impossible to tell what corona numbers would look like without stay at home orders. You act like you know what would happen, so you tell me what it is you are driving at.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    You set the bar.
    You're doing a bang up job of proving my point about privilege. Bravo.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    That's not a debate. That's a hypothetical with no provable outcome. Just like it's impossible to tell what corona numbers would look like without stay at home orders. You act like you know what would happen, so you tell me what it is you are driving at.
    You can provide a hypothesis.

But, you won't.

Because you know.

(PS that's why I said "I wonder what would happen" and not "prove what would happen.")
    Last edited by Pete; 05-31-2020 at 10:27 PM.

You can provide a hypothesis.

But, you won't.

Because you know.

(PS that's why I said "I wonder what would happen" and not "prove what would happen.")
    You won't even answer your own question?

HNIC BSBH Legend
    You won't even answer your own question?
    You're arguing just to argue.

Do you even have something to say here?

This is what I love about this place. Everyone cries "you have to have the last word, you always think you're right, you're arguing just to argue!"

Everyone here has this in common.

If you don't have a point to make and you don't want to debate an issue and all you want to do is talk about me, then find something else to do.

Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast