Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 79 of 79

Thread: Adam Fox is a Stud

  1. #61
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    80,817
    Rep Power
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    We're not going to agree here. I see Trouba as becoming more of a defensive specialist. I know you disagree with that notion because that's not what they paid him to do, but I see it as a sunk cost at this point. He'll get his PP2 and PK time along with whatever allotment of even strength. I don't think we're far from seeing Fox definitively as the top defenseman on the team. I think some signs point to it already. I think the coming 24 team playoff and 20-21 season will work to prove that point further.
    As long as Trouba is playing against the other team's top pairings, he's going to get the minutes.

    He's also not very good defensively, pretty sure the metrics agree with that although I only looked at them at mid year.

  2. #62
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    80,817
    Rep Power
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    I agree that they're not lazy, but that doesn't mean they're not careless. It's an aspect of his game that needs improvement. I don't really question Strome's effort because that's been overall consistent. I question other things like his defensive ability or his actual offensive prowess. I've compared him to being similar to Stepan offensively. I still standby that.
    Well someone else called them lazy.

    Regardless this is an Adam Fox thread. We've covered enough about Strome.

  3. #63
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,326
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    As long as Trouba is playing against the other team's top pairings, he's going to get the minutes.

    He's also not very good defensively, pretty sure the metrics agree with that although I only looked at them at mid year.
    Fox not good defensively? Or are you still talking about Trouba?

    Fox did play top pair minutes and against top lines sometimes towards the end of the season. Quinn even said that himself in an interview a week or so ago. That they «wasnt afraid to put them [Fox & Lindgren] out there against teams top lines in the 2nd half of the season».


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  4. #64
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    1,565
    Rep Power
    38
    Anyone else expecting a sophomore slump?
    I am.

    Don’t think it will be immense or permanent and I think he’ll be very good for a long time, but there’s valleys on the horizon for him. Hard not to have one.

  5. #65
    Senior Member Midget Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,379
    Rep Power
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    Anyone else expecting a sophomore slump?
    I am.

    Don’t think it will be immense or permanent and I think he’ll be very good for a long time, but there’s valleys on the horizon for him. Hard not to have one.
    He is so calm and patient with the puck. There's no panic in his game. I don't see a slump incoming personally.

  6. #66
    Senior Member Squirt Division jsm7302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NW NJ
    Posts
    490
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    Anyone else expecting a sophomore slump?
    I am.

    Don’t think it will be immense or permanent and I think he’ll be very good for a long time, but there’s valleys on the horizon for him. Hard not to have one.
    Good chance of it.

  7. #67
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,225
    Rep Power
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    I agree that they're not lazy, but that doesn't mean they're not careless. It's an aspect of his game that needs improvement. I don't really question Strome's effort because that's been overall consistent. I question other things like his defensive ability or his actual offensive prowess. I've compared him to being similar to Stepan offensively. I still standby that.
    I must spread it around but wanted to let you know you’re making a lot of good points here

  8. #68
    Beer Leaguer Midget Division
    SaveByRichter35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,937
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    I must spread it around but wanted to let you know you’re making a lot of good points here
    Same as Keirik. I have to "spread it around" as well, Drew.

  9. #69
    A-hee-ahee ha-hee BSBH Prospect
    Drew a Penalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    14,482
    Rep Power
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    I must spread it around but wanted to let you know you’re making a lot of good points here
    Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    Same as Keirik. I have to "spread it around" as well, Drew.

  10. #70
    Converted Naysayer Midget Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    2,580
    Rep Power
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post




    Stats from NHL.com based on the final 20 games of the season.

    Fox surpasses Trouba in EV TOI but Trouba plays significantly more PK time while Fox often gets none. Fox gets no benefit from PP time because they play on the same unit with the exception of 02/16 when Fox accrued 5:57 of PP time.

    I'd say this argues that they're pretty close, but Quinn chose not to overwhelm one of his rookies with significant all-situations time. He clearly showed more and more trust. He just relied upon Smith, Trouba, Staal, and Lindgren as his PKers over Fox.
    If I ever need a lawyer, I'll keep you at the top of my contact list, Drew!!

    Great work digging all that up!

    By the way...I absolutely love Fox's game, and he's showing tremendous promise!!!

  11. #71
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,719
    Rep Power
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    Trouba is unmovable. ADA will get u a truckload in a trade. We have a mobile D core(sans staal) and the future on D looks bright with upcoming rookies who also can put up points. There’s really no place or need for ADA.
    First pair. Left side. Fits perfect

  12. #72
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,719
    Rep Power
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    We haven't had enough of a chance to see if someone can't be transitioned to another side. Quinn began using Fox and DeAngelo together at 4 on 4 and during offensive zone starts. Who's to say that DeAngelo can't learn to play on Trouba's left? The most NHL ready defenseman the Rangers have is yet another right-handed player in Lundkvist. Even then, we don't know how ready he is.

    What holes need to be addressed that can't be from within? You say trade DeAngelo for a wing? Why? How does that help? Panarin and Kreider are locked in on the top two left-wing spots for the perpetual future. Buchnevich likely doesn't have much time left on the team, but then you have Kakko, Kravtsov, and Gauthier all waiting to move up. They need time, but they'll hopefully get there and be cost-controlled. Adding another wing via trade probably means more salary which aligns with more of your "spending for the sake of spending" notion.
    Agreed. Totally.

  13. #73
    Senior Member Midget Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,379
    Rep Power
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    First pair. Left side. Fits perfect
    I actually think this would put him in a position to be more dangerous with the puck. He can take more aggressive angles entering the zone or at the point.

  14. #74
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    80,817
    Rep Power
    631
    Would never put ADA against another team's top lines or DZS that Trouba gets.

  15. #75
    Senior Member Midget Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,379
    Rep Power
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Would never put ADA against another team's top lines or DZS that Trouba gets.
    You know what they say...the best defense is a good offense.

  16. #76
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    1,565
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    You know what they say...the best defense is a good offense.
    Until you’re trying to protect a lead in a 3rd period of a playoff game and the other team has guys named Crosby, Ovechkin, etc. they can run out on the ice for 3:45 of the last 5 minutes plus an extra attacker.

  17. #77
    Senior Member Midget Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,379
    Rep Power
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    Until you’re trying to protect a lead in a 3rd period of a playoff game and the other team has guys named Crosby, Ovechkin, etc. they can run out on the ice for 3:45 of the last 5 minutes plus an extra attacker.
    I would hope Quinn is smart enough to play situational hockey in this hypothetical, and field the players most capable of defending their own zone.

  18. #78
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    1,565
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    I would hope Quinn is smart enough to play situational hockey in this hypothetical, and field the players most capable of defending their own zone.

    Lol
    Yeah I know dude.

    Just saying that’s the assignment they brought Trouba in for and that at some point, other teams will have the momentum in games, slant the ice, and force them to defend regardless of how good the Rangers might be offensively.

  19. #79
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,203
    Rep Power
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    I would hope Quinn is smart enough to play situational hockey in this hypothetical, and field the players most capable of defending their own zone.
    Quinn is smart enough to play situational hockey. It's the exact reason ADA doesn't get put in the same situations as Trouba.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •