• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Alexander Georgiev Trade Would Fill Huge Need for Sharks

Sharks send: 2020 second-round pick

Rangers send: G Alexandar Georgiev

Shesterkin had seized the reigns as New York's No. 1 (with apologies to Mike Francesa) when the NHL suspended its season in March. Lundqvist, meanwhile, is 37, carries an $8.5 million salary-cap hit and has a full no-movement clause. The former isn't likely to be traded, and the latter isn't going to be a long-term solution for the Rangers or Sharks.

Georgiev appears to be the odd man out in New York, and he would fit in San Jose. He's set to become a restricted free agent this offseason, young enough to fit the Sharks' desired (rapid) rebuilding timeline and good enough to upgrade the team's goaltending depth.

http:// https://sports.yahoo.com/hypothetical-sharks-alexandar-georgiev-trade-023043131.html

This or cut/trade Hank works for me. Don't care anymore. Just pick a lane and do it.

Why can't the Rangers say. "Henke, if you retire, we'll give you a job with the org and pay you "accordingly" HINT HINT.......

More or less I agree as long as the return is adequate

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

only a 2nd round pick?

My feeling as well. Just end this sideshow and the distraction that comes along with it.

Sadly a 2nd round pick is the likely return. That’s all he’s going to fetch. It’ll be that or something of roughly equivalent value.

Why would the return for Georgiev be more than a 2nd? He's a backup.

What has Cam Talbot done since he left the Rangers?

Antti Raanta?

Rangers management is an ace finding backups. Sheshterkin is the starter, so Georgiev will just sit behind him. Might as well get a 2nd rounder if you can for Georgiev, take your chance in the draft with a 2nd rounder to find a need. Lundqvist can backup/mentor Shesterkin for a year.

Why would the return for Georgiev be more than a 2nd? He's a backup.

What has Cam Talbot done since he left the Rangers?

Antti Raanta?

Rangers management is an ace finding backups. Sheshterkin is the starter, so Georgiev will just sit behind him. Might as well get a 2nd rounder if you can for Georgiev, take your chance in the draft with a 2nd rounder to find a need. Lundqvist can backup/mentor Shesterkin for a year.

Raanta has been fantastic since leaving the Rangers. The poor guy just can't stay healthy and Arizona found an equivalent if not better goaltender in Kuemper.

Not all 2nd round picks are created equal. The Sharks 2nd rounder would be about #34 OA. And would give the Rangers 4 picks in the top ~45. I'd be fine with that.

Yeah, its basically a 1st from a contender. A high 2nd is a great return for a goalie we will at best use as a backup. I dont know why people think a decent backup goalie will fetch a huge return.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Not all 2nd round picks are created equal. The Sharks 2nd rounder would be about #34 OA. And would give the Rangers 4 picks in the top ~45. I'd be fine with that.

Right. While I'd prefer a prospect, an early second in this draft would come in handy especially in light of how Corona has affected the draft process. Competitive assessors like the CHL playoffs, Memorial Cup, U18s, and foreign league playoffs won't happen. The draft combine likely won't happen too. Teams that may have significant questions about players likely won't be able to answer them. There won't be a consensus for later picks as there is for the top 11 or so.

As we are locked into a no-trade period for at least quite a while to come, and with little idea of what the hockey world is going to look like (in terms of caps, amnesty buy outs, the draft etc) when it is finally lifted, there seems to be little point in revisiting the Georgiev question at the moment, although I'm willing to indulge folks (like me) who are bored and don't have much to post about.

I have a hard time seeing the Sharks moving any more picks. They got burned to a crisp on the Karlsson deal for their 1st, the Tampa pick should be pretty late, and they have the Avs 2nd - another late in the round deal.

Also - How would we have 4 picks in the top 45? We're waiting on the condition on the Skjei deal, but we don't own our own second. Am I forgetting something?

I have a hard time seeing the Sharks moving any more picks. They got burned to a crisp on the Karlsson deal for their 1st, the Tampa pick should be pretty late, and they have the Avs 2nd - another late in the round deal.

Also - How would we have 4 picks in the top 45? We're waiting on the condition on the Skjei deal, but we don't own our own second. Am I forgetting something?

Forgot we didn't have our own 2nd. 3 picks in the top 35 is just as good though.

The Sharks have a ton of money invested in Couture, Kane, Vlasic, Burns, and Karlsson who are all 28+ years old. They need goaltending help now and don't have 2 years to wait for a 30 something pick to be useful to them.

Forgot we didn't have our own 2nd. 3 picks in the top 35 is just as good though.

The Sharks have a ton of money invested in Couture, Kane, Vlasic, Burns, and Karlsson who are all 28+ years old. They need goaltending help now and don't have 2 years to wait for a 30 something pick to be useful to them.

This is the issue for them. And you both make good points.

On the one hand, they probably shouldn’t be dealing any more picks. On the other hand, with that roster, they’re kind of hemmed in to trying to win now, so they need right now help as opposed to in the future.

It’s a mess there.

This is the issue for them. And you both make good points.

On the one hand, they probably shouldn’t be dealing any more picks. On the other hand, with that roster, they’re kind of hemmed in to trying to win now, so they need right now help as opposed to in the future.

It’s a mess there.

After how this year went, they should be trying to stock the cupboards. In this case, though, Georgiev is young enough and potentially good enough to be their goalie for the next decade. Might be worth the 2nd for a team that should otherwise keep their picks.

After how this year went, they should be trying to stock the cupboards. In this case, though, Georgiev is young enough and potentially good enough to be their goalie for the next decade. Might be worth the 2nd for a team that should otherwise keep their picks.

That’s a part of my feeling too.

While the reset button is coming for them, if they can get a young goalie that they feel could be their starter, maybe it’s worth it.

Obviously every draft is different, and this one is reputed as very good and very deep, but how likely is it that they’d draft a better player than Georgiev?