• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Alexander Georgiev Trade Would Fill Huge Need for Sharks

The Sharks are in such a weird spot, being as committed as they are to a bunch of older players, yet in such desperate need for anything to stock the cupboards. There's an argument that spending that 2nd on Georgiev is enough of an upgrade to make that team competitive, and there's also an equally good argument to suggest that it's not an awesome idea to double-down on that team.

I'd reckon that no team celebrates a compliance buyout quite like the Sharks would.

The Sharks are in such a weird spot, being as committed as they are to a bunch of older players, yet in such desperate need for anything to stock the cupboards. There's an argument that spending that 2nd on Georgiev is enough of an upgrade to make that team competitive, and there's also an equally good argument to suggest that it's not an awesome idea to double-down on that team.

I'd reckon that no team celebrates a compliance buyout quite like the Sharks would.

They underestimated what losing Pavelski meant, IMO.

only a 2nd round pick?

would rather acquire an NHL ready 3rd liner with upside (Something like Gauthier, perhaps better/more potential). Enough draft picks. Need to strengthen the NHL depth.

The chances of a given No. 2 pick having an appreciable NHL career are relatively small, whereas it already has been established that Georgiev is in the midst of an appreciable NHL career. The market value of goalies is going to be small through the expansion draft. Georgiev's value likely will be greater after that draft than it is now. If we do trade Georgiev before next season (whenever that might be) when draft time rolls around, we can trade for quite a good 2d goalie for next to nothing and expose him. If he then gets drafted, we will have saved a good skater; if he doesn't, we will have a good 2d goalie. The same calculus will apply if we keep Georgiev. The short of it is, the fact that we don't have to protect Sheshty leaves us in a nice position.

would rather acquire an NHL ready 3rd liner with upside (Something like Gauthier, perhaps better/more potential). Enough draft picks. Need to strengthen the NHL depth.

That’s not a bad idea. If they have a piece like that in their organization the value is in the same ballpark

If Georgiev is moved I'm doubtful the Rangers acquire a goalie to replace him as a backup. That pretty much ensures it Lundqvist's job until he's out. Then again, this organization seems bent on destroying whatever relations they have with him so maybe I'm wrong.

And I’m totally fine with Hank as the backup for a year.

If they're going to drag Hanks cap hit next season, might as well just resign him to be the backup for another few seasons and get rid of Georgie.

No thanks.

Would rather have someone developing and increasing their value. Also doubt Lundy is taking close to league minimum

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I feel like the Sharks are a little bit fucked here, to be honest.

Yeah, they have that aging core that they're spending a lot of money on, but would you say that's a championship calibre core that can win now with just a little bit of help? I'm really not sold on that at all. I mean Couture, Kane, Vlasic, Burns, and Karlsson. It's ok, but it's certainly not incredible. It's a damned if you, damned if you don't situation. It's hard to see them being able to add the weapons around those guys to make them into a true contender, and it's equally hard to see a successful rebuild while you have to carry those contracts along the way. I don't think any of those contracts will be particularly easy to get out of either.

If they're going to drag Hanks cap hit next season, might as well just resign him to be the backup for another few seasons and get rid of Georgie.

Well, Georgievs value isn't going up sitting behind Shesterkin for two more years. Cash out while you're up.

No need to extend Lundqvist if they end up keeping him and moving Georgiev. Just go get another backup at that time. Be it from inside or outside the organization it shouldn’t be at all an issue.

Unless there’s an amnesty buyout they’re dragging him no matter what. It’s either they’re keeping him and paying him. Or they’re doing a traditional buyout and saving a million and change after a new contract for Georgiev. They’re spending that money cap wise anyway.

It’s the definition of negligible.

Agree with you Josh.

I don’t feel like he’s on the team in 2 years either way. Either he’ll want to go elsewhere and try to find an opportunity to start which he won’t get here, or they won’t want to pay him at that point as he’ll be due another raise.

Spending 2 more years as a backup isn’t going to up his value. He’s still just a backup at that point.

Return is likely the same now as it would be then, more or less.

Didn't SJ sign a young goalie out of the KHL?

I trade Georgiev for a 2nd in a heartbeat. Maybe even a 3rd. I see no need to keep him around, if he can bring back an asset.

Signed Melnichuk from KHL

Only 21. 22 in about a month.

Played well for St Pete over there. Not much experience though.

He’s been excellent in their minor leagues over there, but small sample in KHL and not much International experience to speak of.

Has nice upside but probably still a little while away from NHL.

A 3rd for Georgiev would be selling low.

A 3rd for Georgiev would be selling low.

Would it though?

I'm asking a question here, because I don't really know, but wouldn't a 3rd be more or less the going rate for an unproven goalie in the backup/borderline starter category historically?

I mean, it wouldn't blow me away, but I'm with The Dude that I'd be inclined to move him. Certainly for a 2nd. Probably a 3rd if that's all they can get.

Would it though?

I'm asking a question here, because I don't really know, but wouldn't a 3rd be more or less the going rate for an unproven goalie in the backup/borderline starter category historically?

I mean, it wouldn't blow me away, but I'm with The Dude that I'd be inclined to move him. Certainly for a 2nd. Probably a 3rd if that's all they can get.

It’s a bit debatable for sure. And markets are as much about what a team is willing to pay as anything else. So who knows for sure.

But I’d say that’s probably a bit low for him. Talbot and a 7th brought back a 2nd, a 3rd, and a 7th, and while he had started for a while when Hank was hurt, he’d actually player far fewer games than Georgiev has to this point.

If it’s all they can get, then it’s all they can get, but it would be a little low.

I’d also argue that in the backup role, Georgiev is in fact established and proven.