• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Draft Plan Must be Tied to How Season Will Resume

Phil

So we come to the draft that the commissioner obviously wants to hold next month even while the 2019-20 season rests in abeyance. The Board of Governors is holding a virtual meeting on Monday to review the topic. If we have learned anything since 2003, it is that what Bettman wants, he gets.

There are complexities attached to holding the draft next month, the most entangling of which concerns conditional trades that would have to be reworked. That is going to be a mess. There is no fair way to handle each deal. There is no fair way to design the lottery and order of selection. Of course, there is actually no fair way to structure the continuation of 2019-20.

The issue I have is in designing the draft without at the same time adopting a structure for the continuation of play. Are all 31 teams playing out their 82-game schedule? Is the league going to hold a minimum of regular-season matches before going to an expanded 24-team tournament?

The structure of the draft should be tied to the structure the league adopts for the continuation of the season. And by the way, that?s a misnomer. Whatever happens, it won?t represent a continuation of what transpired from October through March 11. You can?t drop something for up to four months and pick up where you left off.

The league should recognize that in developing its plan for summer hockey. It seems to me that the best plan is the one that incorporates and energizes as many markets as possible. If the idea is to recoup as much revenue as possible, it should also be to generate as much interest as possible. That, after all, is the genesis behind holding the draft in June.

Please, though, let?s not be blinded by the NFL draft?s impact on the viewing public and believe that it will carry over to an NHL draft that pulled an average audience of 8.4 million for the three-day event. To put things in perspective, last year?s seven-game Stanley Cup final between the Blues and Bruins averaged 5.33 million viewers. The 2020 Super Bowl between the Chiefs and Niners pulled over 100 million.

The structure of the draft should be tied to the structure of summer hockey and developed in concert. If the league is going to go to a 24-team playoff, then the other seven teams should be entered in a lottery conducted under similar regulations as last year. There is no logical reason to inexorably tilt the lottery in the favor of Detroit and Ottawa.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/03/nhl-draft-plan-must-be-tied-to-how-2019-20-season-will-resume/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

The idea of holding the draft without a conclusion to the season, without an understanding of next years cap and the limitations on trades is preposterous. It is purely a "stay relevant" move, and based on the delusion that the NHL draft would get anything close to the attention the NFL draft did.

^don?t even care anymore. As a fan I want something to watch/debate while I?m stuck at home doing basically nothing. This season is more or less a wash as it is anyway. Even if they come back it just won?t be a legitimate Stanley cup win by whoever wins it so why not just give the fans something to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The idea of holding the draft without a conclusion to the season, without an understanding of next years cap and the limitations on trades is preposterous. It is purely a "stay relevant" move, and based on the delusion that the NHL draft would get anything close to the attention the NFL draft did.

the draft has to be held even if the season is cancelled. Prospects can not go undrafted. teams can not go without draft picks

^don’t even care anymore. As a fan I want something to watch/debate while I’m stuck at home doing basically nothing. This season is more or less a wash as it is anyway. Even if they come back it just won’t be a legitimate Stanley cup win by whoever wins it so why not just give the fans something to do.

why woudnt it be a legitimate Stanley cup? where on the Stanley cup is says that there have to be 16 team playoff with minimum of 4 games played in each round? this was made up so the team could make more money. Rules get changed all the time, like the stupid Wild Card

^don’t even care anymore. As a fan I want something to watch/debate while I’m stuck at home doing basically nothing. This season is more or less a wash as it is anyway. Even if they come back it just won’t be a legitimate Stanley cup win by whoever wins it so why not just give the fans something to do.

Because

a) It's against the integrity of the draft system. You may very well have a team making the playoffs picking before teams that missed out.

b) Trades will be problematic because you might have to go back and compete in the playoffs after the draft. What if, for example, the Rangers want to package one of their 1sts to grab a roster player from a playoff contender a la the Trouba trade? You won't find a buyer.

c) You don't have clarity on the cap, which again may have huge implications for the draft day deals teams might do.

I want something to watch as much as the next man, but having the draft before deciding on how to proceed with the season is a joke imo.