Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ‘Murder Hornets’ in the U.S.: The Rush to Stop the Asian Giant Hornet

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend

‘Murder Hornets’ in the U.S.: The Rush to Stop the Asian Giant Hornet

With queens that can grow to two inches long, Asian giant hornets can use mandibles shaped like spiked shark fins to wipe out a honeybee hive in a matter of hours, decapitating the bees and flying away with the thoraxes to feed their young. For larger targets, the hornet’s potent venom and stinger — long enough to puncture a beekeeping suit — make for an excruciating combination that victims have likened to hot metal driving into their skin.

In Japan, the hornets kill up to 50 people a year. Now, for the first time, they have arrived in the United States.
    Scientists have since embarked on a full-scale hunt for the hornets, worried that the invaders could decimate bee populations in the United States and establish such a deep presence that all hope for eradication could be lost.

“This is our window to keep it from establishing,” said Chris Looney, an entomologist at the Washington State Department of Agriculture. “If we can’t do it in the next couple of years, it probably can’t be done.”
    Beyond its size, the hornet has a distinctive look, with a cartoonishly fierce face featuring teardrop eyes like Spider-Man, orange and black stripes that extend down its body like a tiger, and broad, wispy wings like a small dragonfly.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/02/u...=pocket-newtab
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    Should have been Seattle's name.

Seattle Murder Hornets
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Midget Division
    For scale...

Fuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkk

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    So....flamethrower?
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

My work has me breaking-and-entering into at least 100 homes every year - some of them unoccupied for years. We've learned that opening the front screen door has a 50-50 chance of bees hiving between the space with the main entry door. (When we go in through windows, adjacent fake shutters attached to the siding are another likely home.) I have a case of industrial strength spray that shoots 20' and pretty much kills on contact. Will it work on these hornets? I hope that I never have to find out.

Fun story: When we showed up to show one particular house outside of Catskill, NY, the people who had arrived ahead of us said to watch for snakes everywhere. Hmmmmm... We entered through a garage door (yup, sprayed a bees nest first) then went inside. After getting through the mess inside, I could finally open the front door inviting the assembled crowd inside. Nobody moved. When I asked why, one guy said, "What are going to do about the snake hanging from the gutter?" Sure enough, a snake was right over the entrance. I knocked him down with my trusty crowbar and he scampered off into the high grass.

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    My work has me breaking-and-entering into at least 100 homes every year - some of them unoccupied for years. We've learned that opening the front screen door has a 50-50 chance of bees hiving between the space with the main entry door. (When we go in through windows, adjacent fake shutters attached to the siding are another likely home.) I have a case of industrial strength spray that shoots 20' and pretty much kills on contact. Will it work on these hornets? I hope that I never have to find out.

Fun story: When we showed up to show one particular house outside of Catskill, NY, the people who had arrived ahead of us said to watch for snakes everywhere. Hmmmmm... We entered through a garage door (yup, sprayed a bees nest first) then went inside. After getting through the mess inside, I could finally open the front door inviting the assembled crowd inside. Nobody moved. When I asked why, one guy said, "What are going to do about the snake hanging from the gutter?" Sure enough, a snake was right over the entrance. I knocked him down with my trusty crowbar and he scampered off into the high grass.
    any mention of snakes makes me want to vomit. Thanks Frank, I was enjoying my Chicken Francese lunch

Banned Junior Division
    btw, why cant we just nuke asia. Viruses and now murder hornets.

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    There's no issue with Hornets in Wuhan, other than reported indigestion.

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    are they carrying Covid-20?

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post

Fucking Trump!

when I did part time landscaping, we used leaf blowers. If stand there with the thing fighting off bees while someone else would trim trees/bushes

I never got stung. Couldn't say the same for the other guy.

And now I work desk job.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Fucking Trump!
    That bastard is at it again!

Senior Member Junior Division
    Honeybees need to stay inside their combs until this passes

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Hahahaha

#68 Яромир Ягр Junior Division

Holy fuck, what exactly do you do man?

Quote Originally Posted by Karan View Post
    Holy fuck, what exactly do you do man?
    He's either a squatter or a member of a SWAT team.

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Nice!

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    lmao...i spit out my thermometer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast