• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Considering 24-Team Playoff on Return; Rangers Out?

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/what-a-24-team-stanley-cup-playoff-format-could-look-like-and-what-questions-still-need-to-be-answered/

Here's what that would potentially entail, according to Sportsnet's Mark Spector:

Four league cities (presumably spread across the United States and Canada) would host division-based playoff "tournaments"

Each of the league's four divisions would be assigned a city (or hub), with the top six teams from each division qualifying for the postseason and reporting to their respective hub

Each division's No. 1 and No. 2 seeds would play each other (best-of-three series) to decide a division winner

Each division's No. 3 seed would play the No. 6 seed, while the No. 4 would face No. 5 in a best-of-three for the right to keep playing

That would leave four remaining playoff qualifiers from each division (16 total playoff teams) and a seeding structure to play a more traditional Stanley Cup Playoff tournament

Those rules leave us in a weird spot: 10th place in the conference treated as if we're 13th place and thus eliminating us before the tournament, however, ensuring that we pick no lower than 7th overall in the draft (I guess).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/what-a-24-team-stanley-cup-playoff-format-could-look-like-and-what-questions-still-need-to-be-answered/

Those rules leave us in a weird spot: 10th place in the conference treated as if we're 13th place and thus eliminating us before the tournament, however, ensuring that we pick no lower than 7th overall in the draft (I guess).

Silver lining.... the teams that don't make the playoffs get to rest up for the following season (whenever that would be). I'm OK with pressing the reset on this season, and hoping for more Rangers success next season.

I understand the financial need for the NHL to have some form of playoffs and a Stanley Cup champion. Fatigue/injuries have to be an issue given the stop/start nature, and potential short break before next season.

At this point, Im in favor of just calling it a wash for this season. Your not going to have good playoff games like usual with guys being rusty and teams playing in zero playoff atmosphere. There will be no excitement. Plus, now I am hearing that next season wouldn't start until December. As much as it sucks, just cancel the rest of this season and work on what can be done for next season.

Silver lining.... the teams that don't make the playoffs get to rest up for the following season (whenever that would be). I'm OK with pressing the reset on this season, and hoping for more Rangers success next season.

I understand the financial need for the NHL to have some form of playoffs and a Stanley Cup champion. Fatigue/injuries have to be an issue given the stop/start nature, and potential short break before next season.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/gary-bettman-nhl-restart-coronavirus-1.44288994

If the NHL can restart this season, regardless of the plan the league decides upon, commissioner Gary Bettman has been adamant that he does not want to jeopardize being able to play next season in full.

He believes that can happen even if the 2020-21 season begins much later than usual.

“We obviously don’t want to impact the sanctity of next season, but we have a great deal of flexibility in terms of when we can start,” Bettman said in an interview with the NHL Network on Thursday. “There’s no magic for next season of starting in October as we traditionally do. If we have to start in November or December, that’s something that will be under consideration.

Im not down with the season starting in November or December. Id rather lose this year than start late next season. These playoff games aren't going to be like they would be if the season wasn't paused.

This whole season's been a clusterfuck with this virus shit...Fuck it...I'll watch the mutants battle it out. I don't care who wins in the "Asterisk" season. Kinda reminds me of '95 when the Devils won during that 48 game strike schedule season.

The hell with it...I say let's just re-tool, and get our shit together for next year.

By the way...How's it goin' fellas??? ...long time/no speak!!!

=)

They're gonna end up playing out the remainder of the season. They don't want thew complications that come with canceling the season entirely.

I'm okay with the Rangers being left out of whatever playoffs ends up happening. If they end up with a top-seven pick that's great. As much as it would be thrilling to see this team go on a push, I'm doubtful they'd return with the same energy they left off on. Players are going to be in various states of conditioning and prep that I don't think you'd be getting enough players playing at their best. Given the makeup of this team, you can't really afford to have many slacking. I'd rather have a bunch of rested players for 20-21 that are disgruntled because they never got to finish the run they went on. Throw in a top 7 pick that ensures one of Raymond, Holtz, Rossi, or Perfetti and you're in a pretty good place.

It would suck to see them get shut out like that when they were close and had a shot. It would have been a big thing for them.

But the playoffs were always gravy this year anyway. Playing meaningful hockey into March this year was a step in itself.

A pick that high is a good consolation prize if they’re getting cheated

It would suck to see them get shut out like that when they were close and had a shot. It would have been a big thing for them.

But the playoffs were always gravy this year anyway. Playing meaningful hockey into March this year was a step in itself.

A pick that high is a good consolation prize if they’re getting cheated

IMO there's three elements to this:

1 - With the structure they're talking about, there's not really playoff revenue to be split, so there's no real "loss" for the Rangers there. Blackhawks are in this boat too - they'll jump picks pending below item 3.

2 - One of Stutzle, Holtz, Perfetti, Rossi, Raymond, or Lundell will be there at 7. I'll take that.

3 - Does "not in playoffs" mean "in lottery", or do the best of three losers go into the lottery too? If I'm Anaheim, Montreal, or Buffalo, I'm going from "go go draft lottery" to "in the playoffs", which is...wack.

24 teams make it and Rangers (currently in 16th in the league) don't. Why do we have divisions again?

Late 1970s pre WHA merger pretty much had a schedule where teams played every other team roughly equal number of times, lined them up 1-21, and seeded the playoffs 1 to 16. Worked because with 80 games you played every team 4 times. Divisions seem even more pointless now. Sure some small market teams would whine about travel, but they did that in the 1970s. It would be the most fair; play every team twice, and rotate from year to year who gets the extra game. At a loss why you could get stuck in a division like the Metro with 2 perennial powerhouses in the Pens and Caps. Current setup creates situations where very good teams get wiped out early by design and bad ones advance.

• Like 1

We need the pick more than playing in the playoffs this season. Im perfectly fine with a 7th or better pick

Agree bud. I'm also a bit concerned that even with a 'camp' of sorts, guys might become more prone to injury be exerting themselves -- i don't know and it is pure uninformed speculation on my part but I don't really mind us watching this unfold from the outside. Besides, with our luck? We'd go on a once-in-a-lifetime run and WIN the damn #astersikCup and man that would suck. I don't want the Cup this year, not like that.

My interest in hockey is pretty much non-existent at this point. Pulling the plug and working towards next year makes the most sense to me. Impacting next years schedule to shoe horn some make shift end to this season isn't a good choice imo.

As for this years possible 1st rd 7th pick - can we please avoid the next Lias at all cost?

I'm so sick of this concept of Divisions that supposedly foster rivalries. As a former season ticket holder for two teams, I can testify that the in division games were the hardest to get rid of because there was more demand for the teams that don't visit often. Do we really have more of a rivalry with Columbus and Carolina than we do Boston, Tampa, and Montreal. They just won't quit this Division nonsense, which distorts the standings and playoff matchups inequitably.

I'm so sick of this concept of Divisions that supposedly foster rivalries. As a former season ticket holder for two teams, I can testify that the in division games were the hardest to get rid of because there was more demand for the teams that don't visit often. Do we really have more of a rivalry with Columbus and Carolina than we do Boston, Tampa, and Montreal. They just won't quit this Division nonsense, which distorts the standings and playoff matchups inequitably.

everyone loved the new division format when it was introduced.

everyone loved the new division format when it was introduced.
Did they? I don't remember that at all. Uneven number of teams in each division, the metropolitan makes no sense...

Who loved it?

Did they? I don't remember that at all. Uneven number of teams in each division, the metropolitan makes no sense...

Who loved it?

Idk pull up the thread. There were a select few that didn’t like it. Everyone else was nutting

IMO there's three elements to this:

1 - With the structure they're talking about, there's not really playoff revenue to be split, so there's no real "loss" for the Rangers there. Blackhawks are in this boat too - they'll jump picks pending below item 3.

2 - One of Stutzle, Holtz, Perfetti, Rossi, Raymond, or Lundell will be there at 7. I'll take that.

3 - Does "not in playoffs" mean "in lottery", or do the best of three losers go into the lottery too? If I'm Anaheim, Montreal, or Buffalo, I'm going from "go go draft lottery" to "in the playoffs", which is...wack.

No team wants lost revenue. The regular season money they lost out on is relatively minimal. Playoff money would be fairly substantial. Even with an early exit, it?s still a fairly nice sized chunk of change.

It sucks if they?re losing it, and while it?s no consolation, they?re one of the few franchises that it won?t have a hugely adverse effect upon. They?ll survive and do so without any real consequences.

Agree on 2. If they?re picking at 7 or higher, there?s a great player there to be had. And while it?s unlikely cause it never happens, even if the pick ends up at 7 in this draft, plus the other 1st they have and having good assets in the organization makes a move up more possible.

They may not be able to actually do it, but they conceivably have the assets to do it.

No idea how they would do the lottery if they decide to go with the 24 team format.

I would think they?d limit it to the 7 teams that are not going to the playoffs. I don?t see how a team should get a playoff spot AND lottery odds, even if they?re small.

But we will have to see how they decide to work it out.

This whole season's been a clusterfuck with this virus shit...Fuck it...I'll watch the mutants battle it out. I don't care who wins in the "Asterisk" season. Kinda reminds me of '95 when the Devils won during that 48 game strike schedule season.

The hell with it...I say let's just re-tool, and get our shit together for next year.

By the way...How's it goin' fellas??? ...long time/no speak!!!

=)

Going great, Wizard.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: