• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Considering 24-Team Playoff on Return; Rangers Out?

Agree. If Rangers somehow wins the cup this year Im celebrating like it was any other year. Would even have to win more than 16 playoff games, so it will be even better.

And if they bust in the 1st round I would think they get a top 10 pick (or atleast close), and that would be sweet too.

So its either a ?playoff run? or a top 10 pick. Win-win.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

A first round bust would be disappointing in the sense that we could not have been handed a more favorable matchup(or matchups, really, since I think we actually match up alright against Washington too), but the chance of the teams behind us getting through actually helps us quite a bit.

As things stand, we'd have 13th with a chance of moving up; a 1st round out would almost assuredly help our odds, since we know there will be upsets.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under these circumstances, yes. The right thing to do was to call the season. This is some ham fisted attempt at reclaiming some TV revenue, that's about it.

NHL, like all sports need revenue, even 'partial' revenue in order to survive. I'm for being able to live to see another day even if it makes the season feel odd.

And to have closure on a season so normal things like the draft, awarding of a championship, etc can occur. So the league took a break. Under the circumstances i dont view it as such a big deal

Agree. What's the alternative really, a HUGE *asterisk?*

Under these circumstances, yes. The right thing to do was to call the season. This is some ham fisted attempt at reclaiming some TV revenue, that's about it.

Agree to disagree; emphatically no. These are hockey players; there's a shelf life to that. They get so many seasons before they are no longer hockey players. We've had seasons that were truncated by labor messes and one that was cancelled altogether.

What are you gonna watch; MLB? The NBA? It's what it is. Technically the NHL did not even own the Cup until 1947. Not gonna say this team is a lock to win anything but I'm looking forward to it, what ever it is.

From @OhRyanMead, “So if I understand this correctly.

NYR will play the Canes round one.

NYR owns their 1st from Skjei trade.

So if NYR wins and beats CAR they STILL get a lottery pick and get to move on in the playoffs.

That is delicious.”

Now you know one of two reasons Carolina voted No. The other reason being they have been owned by the Rangers for a long time. It's a bad pull for them.

With that said, the series is not even close to a "gimme" for the Rangers. I think this is all going to be a crapshoot after such a long layoff. The Rangers were hot when the season stopped, but they could just as easily look like a steaming pile when they come back.

From @OhRyanMead, “So if I understand this correctly.

NYR will play the Canes round one.

NYR owns their 1st from Skjei trade.

So if NYR wins and beats CAR they STILL get a lottery pick and get to move on in the playoffs.

That is delicious.”

Sort of.

Carolina's pick is unprotected, but we're getting the later of the Carolina and Toronto picks. So, in order for this to be true, we need Toronto to lose too.

The dream scenario is two lottery winners from the play-ins and the teams that win the draw are Car/Tor (or us, I guess, but that'd mean we lost to Car)

Sort of.

Carolina's pick is unprotected, but we're getting the later of the Carolina and Toronto picks. So, in order for this to be true, we need Toronto to lose too.

The dream scenario is two lottery winners from the play-ins and the teams that win the draw are Car/Tor (or us, I guess, but that'd mean we lost to Car)

Lol, so...Rangers can win the Cup plus 2 lottery picks. As fans of this cursed franchise we have earned how sweet that would taste.

• Like 1

I was a cord cutter but am re upping for cable tv. This years playoffs are going to be epic, simply because it seems like more of a hockey tournament than an actual cup run. Looking forward to this! (Even with the asterisk)

I forsee Panarin and Zib picking up where they left off. Let's hope the club can follow suit. When you think of the timing, we really got lucky because Shesty and Kreider are both back with immense rest to heal their injuries.