• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Considering 24-Team Playoff on Return; Rangers Out?

Idk pull up the thread. There were a select few that didn’t like it. Everyone else was nutting

I'd like to see that as well. Hard to remember back that far but I don't recall many people "nutting" about the wild card or Florida teams in the same division as MTL.

I honestly don't understand the point of divisions. Maybe East vs West, but as others mentioned, you can't give away those tickets vs Carolina. Best teams should make the playoffs, period. The shitty teams get the reward for the higher draft pick.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My interest in hockey is pretty much non-existent at this point. Pulling the plug and working towards next year makes the most sense to me. Impacting next years schedule to shoe horn some make shift end to this season isn't a good choice imo.

As for this years possible 1st rd 7th pick - can we please avoid the next Lias at all cost?

Same here. Been through a few of lockouts, lost a season, rather start fresh next year....with fans in the building

• Like 1

The other thing is what happens on July 1st when contracts are up? Are guys that have their contracts up going to want to risk getting hurt right before a new season starts or without a contract going into next season?

Same here. Been through a few of lockouts, lost a season, rather start fresh next year....with fans in the building

I think one of the big things the NHL is very worried about is the fact that there is a real possibility that regardless of them playing this year, next year already has the potential to be impacted and there is no guarantee that next season has fans in the building to start it off. For any pro league, that combined with no recouped revenue right now would be crippling for its future.

• 2 weeks later...
A break that may be longer than most between season breaks, followed by a short training camp, and then on to the playoffs. Now that's a recipe for integrity. I will say, however, when it comes to the last two rounds, having teams that are by then in good form but not as beaten up as teams usually are at that point would be interesting. I wish they would just call it off given that this method of awarding the cup is a farce and it's already at the point where doing it is going to compromise a second season as well.

That's a helluva start for sure. History is on our side. I'll be happy to see them play even though the best case would be the draft pick for us. Hell, a championship would be nice even with the asterisk.

If we win, there's no asterisk.

If we lose, there is.

That's how being a fan works :D

A break that may be longer than most between season breaks, followed by a short training camp, and then on to the playoffs. Now that's a recipe for integrity. I will say, however, when it comes to the last two rounds, having teams that are by then in good form but not as beaten up as teams usually are at that point would be interesting. I wish they would just call it off given that this method of awarding the cup is a farce and it's already at the point where doing it is going to compromise a second season as well.

This isn't so much directed at you, but as hockey fans, we pretend that there are these weird sacred cows around competition, and I don't understand why people go after things like "we're going to tweak some things to have a pretty awesome playoffs" as a joke, or as a farce, or as a whatever.

For the first 20+ years of its existence, the Stanley Cup was a challenge cup. It was literally "hey, we'll play you for the Cup" with all sorts of funky rules. Best of three, two games - most goals wins, one-and-done, teams of different leagues challenging each other....and so on.

In the first part of the original six era (plus the Americans), the top six teams made the playoffs and the winner of 1v2 (yep) faced the winner of the 3-4-5-6 bracket for the Cup.

In the expansion era, it was common for anywhere between 52% and 80% of the teams in the league to make the playoffs.

Heck, the Cup didn't even technically belong to the NHL until 1947.

It's the very essence of the history of the NHL playoffs to embrace the weirdness and go with it.

Long story short - I don't care if they do a 24 team playoff that runs into late September, blitz a 1 month offseason, and start the preseason around Election Day. All good. I'll just be happy to see the games played.

Agree. If Rangers somehow wins the cup this year Im celebrating like it was any other year. Would even have to win more than 16 playoff games, so it will be even better.

And if they bust in the 1st round I would think they get a top 10 pick (or atleast close), and that would be sweet too.

So its either a ?playoff run? or a top 10 pick. Win-win.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk