• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Chicago Blackhawks Fire President John McDonough

The Chicago Blackhawks released president and CEO John McDonough, the team announced on Monday.

McDonough was hired by the Blackhawks in 2007 and was seen as a major architect of the Blackhawks' Stanley Cups in 2010, 2013 and 2015. Before that, the team hadn't won a Cup since 1961.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29105959/blackhawks-fire-john-mcdonough-president-07

1) I have a saying when looking into a story: ?What don?t I know?? When it comes to Chicago?s decision to fire John McDonough after a hugely successful run as president and CEO, I?ll admit there?s a lot I don?t know. But here?s what I can share: The best source I?ve spoken to said simply, ?It was time.?

From a fan?s standpoint, the biggest question is what this will mean for the hockey department. The most honest thing I can say is that it?s probably too soon to know. It is believed GM Stan Bowman was given an extension last summer, but there are staffers with expiring contracts.

My sense is the Blackhawks would like to let the dust settle from the stunning announcement ? see what options emerge for a successor before making those decisions. Will the next president and CEO have the same power, or will the business/hockey operations be split, as other teams have done? They know their employees are shocked, and my guess is they will plot carefully.

2) It won?t surprise you to know there is a ton of interest in the position. The Blackhawks have morphed from zombie-like to a colossus. Danny Wirtz was named as the interim president. Will they promote from within? There are candidates, but will a few of them ? including executive VP Jay Blunk, senior VP of hockey operations Al MacIsaac, maybe even Bowman himself ? be seen as too close to McDonough? Another name mentioned is VP of marketing Peter Hassen, who pre-dates McDonough?s arrival. We?ll see where it goes.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-best-case-scenario-resumption-nhl-season/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk