• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Zuccarello: Handling of Lundqvist "Disrespectful"

Phil

In an interview with VG in Norway, Mats Zuccarello said that the way the Rangers handling Henrik Lundqvist is disrespectful and ?it is absolutely haunting that he is treated that way.?

He notes that while Lundqvist is getting older and Igor Shesterkin is playing well, the Rangers could have ?let? Lundqvist play the games when Shesterkin doesn?t. (VG)

Zuccarello adds that if the Rangers had won the Stanley Cup in 2014 then Lundqvist would have been ?the greatest legend in Rangers history? and that ?now you see that being nice to a club, or taking less pay because you are loyal, turns out to be just nonsense.? (VG)

Zuccarello said that he intended to end his career with the Rangers and that ?everything was going to be fine and great but then the management decides, and then you are not worth the shit.? (VG)

https://nyrangersnews.com/2020/04/25/mats-zuccarello-isnt-happy-about-henrik-lundqvists-situation-with-the-rangers/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember when this guy quit on the team so he could pout?

Lundqvist got a crack at Philly when Shesterkin was hurt, and got embarrassed, though Georgiev does also suck, so he's not wrong in that they may as well have played Hank in those spots.

The bottom line is that the Rangers wanted to start the transition to Shesterkin, and wanted to encourage Lundqvist to retire or waive his no trade clause. In management's opinion, that translated to the most wins on the ice in the present/future.

In pro sports there's a long list of former stars that were traded, felt forced to retire because of loss of starting job/reduced playing time, and otherwise felt disrespected. Especially hard feelings when players gave a home-town discount, were the face of the franchise, etc.

Remember that it's the business.

Lundqvist got every last penny of the NYR's money under this current contract. And for the last 2 seasons, he has objectively performed at a below average level. He has nothing to complain about. At all. How often do they have to watch him give up an early weak goal or a gimme weak ass shot?

It's is sad in 2014 they didn't win the CUp. But also in 2012 and 2015, the team shat the bed in the playoffs and Lundqvist was one of the main culprits in those disasters. Not sure they had a shot in 2014 if they get past the Sens, but 2012 was a disgraceful loss by a Presidents Cup NYR team to a weaker Devils team. He still is the best goalie in franchise history and is going to the HoF. But bluntly not having his name on the Cup, it is a demerit. He is not ever going to be considered to be in the class of Dryden, Billy Smith, Roy, Hasek, and,sad to say, Brodeur. I HATE writing that sentence. But it's hard truth.

Zuccarello was a great player here. Think he got screwed at the beginning of his time here when Tortarella didn't give him ice time. He was a good player here, and wish him well . When his career is over, he will always get a big ovation at MSG. But it is a business, and he is on the down side. In a cap sport, when a guy underperforms on a contract like he and Lundqvist are doing right now, sorry. The days of carrying an aging former superstar on the downside are very over. If he thinks that's disrespect, tough titties.

Zucc is incorrect. The Rangers gave Lundqvist plenty of opportunity to choose his path. If it makes sense to find starts for him, fine, but since January it hasn't made sense. Quinn has to think about every player in the locker room and who gave them the best chance in net. It was quite clear Lundqvist was usually the 3rd best option with a best case argument as a #2 with an occasional backup start behind Igod.

He?s sticking up for his buddy and there?s no doubt he and Lundqvist have spoken privately and Hank has expressed that he doesn?t like what is happening here.

Zuccarello isn?t wrong about what he?s saying, except for the part about Hank taking less to be here. At no point did that happen. That said, it?s still a business wherein the old and expensive has to make way for the young and cheap.

He also may be speaking prematurely. We don?t know how this plays out. It?s doubtful they carry 3 goalies through next season. Very possible they move Georgiev and keep Hank around till his contract expires.

Not to mention the fact that Lundqvist could?ve gone elsewhere and he turned that opportunity down.

Oh fuck off. He got the highest paycheck of any goalie at the time of his signing. He DIDN'T do the Rangers any favors. He DIDN'T win 2014. So what the hell is he talking about?

I'm sorry but he's just not good anymore. Rangers are trying to win games. You don't put Hank in just because he almost won (not really) 6 years ago.

Remember when this guy quit on the team so he could pout?

Lundqvist got a crack at Philly when Shesterkin was hurt, and got embarrassed, though Georgiev does also suck, so he's not wrong in that they may as well have played Hank in those spots.

You must not have watched that Philly game.

I just never really cared much for Lundqvist. I always thought he was a crybaby and a prima donna.

Lundqvist is without a doubt the best goalie in NYR franchise history. He will righty have his number retired and be enshrined in the Hockey HoF.

But the glaring hole in his resume means he is not in the conversation about the top tier of goalies to ever play. If you plug his numbers into hockey-reference, the guy that pops up as a comparable is Tony Esposito, and that is pretty on the money; long great career but no Cup. Even his gold medal in the post-Cold War pro hockey Olympics doesn't change that.

Richter had a 2 year stretch in the mid 1990s where he was as good as anyone. And otherwise was pretty good to above average. Simply not old enough to have seen Giacomin, and JD simply was always hurt post 1979.

• Like 1

Lundqvist is without a doubt the best goalie in NYR franchise history. He will righty have his number retired and be enshrined in the Hockey HoF.

But the glaring hole in his resume means he is not in the conversation about the top tier of goalies to ever play. If you plug his numbers into hockey-reference, the guy that pops up as a comparable is Tony Esposito, and that is pretty on the money; long great career but no Cup. Even his gold medal in the post-Cold War pro hockey Olympics doesn't change that.

Richter had a 2 year stretch in the mid 1990s where he was as good as anyone. And otherwise was pretty good to above average. Simply not old enough to have seen Giacomin, and JD simply was always hurt post 1979.

The cup argument is a weak one. Chris Osgood has cups. Corey Crawford has a cup.

If you have one game to win are you taking Lundquist Osgood or Crawford?

The cup argument is a weak one. Chris Osgood has cups. Corey Crawford has a cup.

If you have one game to win are you taking Lundquist Osgood or Crawford?

https://www.hockey-reference.com/

Think as to Osgood, looking at the numbers and being part of 3 Cups and being key in 2, it's a tossup. Fair to say his Wings teams were way more stacked than any NYR team Lundqvist played with.

Crawford, not so much.

Lundqvist is in the tier of goalies like Luongo, Tony Esposito and Curtis Joseph who had long and excellent careers, but did not win a Cup.

He's arguable the best PLAYER to ever play for the Rangers. He did more for this team in 15 years than almost anyone. Some of his teams were not good enough to be contenders and yet somehow they were. He's a legend. A hall of famer (maybe). And will definitely have his number retired.

But all careers come to an end. And he did NOT take a hometown discount to play here -- which is his right and I don't fault him -- but don't tell me he "deserves better" because he got treated like a King. Literally.

He's arguable the best PLAYER to ever play for the Rangers. He did more for this team in 15 years than almost anyone. Some of his teams were not good enough to be contenders and yet somehow they were. He's a legend. A hall of famer (maybe). And will definitely have his number retired.

But all careers come to an end. And he did NOT take a hometown discount to play here -- which is his right and I don't fault him -- but don't tell me he "deserves better" because he got treated like a King. Literally.

I think it's fair to say he deserves better than the team acting like Georgiev is somehow worth anything.

It seems they've made it intentionally hard on Lundy even tho no iteration of Lundy moving on next year saves them money.

Seems personal to me.

MSG doesn't have statues outside but Henrik deserves one...but that's not NYC style, I get it. He will be forever revered in NYC as a sports great, a sports hero to so many fans. Non-Cup aside, he was still a helluva athlete over his years of play. The twilight years have not been good to Hank. He's fallen off the table pretty fast and pretty far. I don't begrudge him taking the final season of salary - he and NYR negotiated it in good faith, and in good faith it must run it's course. Want to become a Super Hero? Retire and leave the money behind. IMO that is the least likely thing to happen.

Georgiev has not proven himself to the be the great backup we all hoped for. But is he a better option than Hank considering what's left on Henrik's contract? Flip a coin, huh? IF Henrik can find the magic during one last season with us, that would be a great way to go out (and that assumes they trade away G.) On the other hand if they trade G and keep Henrik and he lays eggs...that would be a sad ending indeed. Tough decision either way.

Bottom line for me without any amnesty buyout changes, Henrik should finish his contract as a Ranger and be content with the #2 role.

Best player to ever play for the Rangers? I don’t know about that.

Leetch? Gilbert? Giacomin?

Lundqvist—one Vezina that he hardly earned.

I think it's fair to say he deserves better than the team acting like Georgiev is somehow worth anything.

It seems they've made it intentionally hard on Lundy even tho no iteration of Lundy moving on next year saves them money.

Seems personal to me.

Agree with this.

Don’t know how it’s gotten to the point where they value Georgiev so highly.

If he were so highly valued and the like, how come the rest of the league doesn’t see it?

Moreover, even if they place that value upon him it’s irrelevant. He’s still just going to be your backup. Even as your backup, it’s highly unlikely you up his value and thusly your return in trade for him.

Same questions will still remain. No one else will have seen him shoulder a load. The sample size will still be smaller.

Stick him in a package this summer with a prospect and maybe a pick and they’ll get a decent and reasonable return in the mid-range.

Then let Hank just play out his contract and worry about a backup next summer. They are easy enough to find and cheap to acquire if they have to go get one.

I’m seriously hoping though that this is how it plays out and that their plan all along has been to trade Georgiev this summer.

No issue with them holding onto him thus far. Backup goalies don’t get traded at the deadline and returns are shit when they do.

Best player to ever play for the Rangers? I don’t know about that.

Leetch? Gilbert? Giacomin?

Lundqvist—one Vezina that he hardly earned.

Are we limiting this to just career Rangers?

I’d still say it’s Messier

Played 10 seasons as a Ranger.

Accomplished everything a player could in that span

Was here during prime years.

Was a Captain

Is one of the 5 best players ever