• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lias Andersson Talks About What Went Wrong

There was a Forever Blueshirts article about Lias opening up on why he left the Rangers

Before Lias left the Rangers, he was so down that he was staying up very late playing video games waiting for friends from Sweden to wake up and come online. It got so bad that he sometimes took sleeping pills and he felt things were getting worse.

And Lias said that himself: "I sat and played video games all night, just waiting for the Swedes to wake up at home to go to work. So I could call and talk some trash.. It was bad habits."

Since he would've played more, his value would've increased for an earlier trade he demanded this season.

Because of his doubt that he could even play anymore, he went back to Sweden so he can his life going again. Now because of this, he's regained his confidence and is "determined to continue his hockey career. I wish him the best in his future of playing Professional Hockey.

Links: https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/report-lias-andersson-opens-up-about-why-he-left-the-rangers/,

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/dreger-lias-andersson-asks-rangers-to-trade-him/

At this age he is a young man. Ok. Given the number of young guys joining the NHL and succeeding in varying degrees does not mean that 1 or 2 might not. Outlier? I might think so. Pressure effects everyone differently so let's give him a pass to re-group. If he didn't have the talent, that would fall on Gorton and Clark for sure. But that doesn't appear to be the case, I mean, he wasn't some MSG Executive's kid or nephew getting a sweetheart try in the NHL.* THAT would have been a disaster. Lias might just prove himself yet.

*Ever have one of those fantasies where you get to play a shift with the NYR in a real game? I used to think about that years ago and at first thought about how cool that would be...then I'd recall my skill level and how a #supremefail that would be. :rofl:

At this age he is a young man. Ok. Given the number of young guys joining the NHL and succeeding in varying degrees does not mean that 1 or 2 might not. Outlier? I might think so. Pressure effects everyone differently so let's give him a pass to re-group. If he didn't have the talent, that would fall on Gorton and Clark for sure. But that doesn't appear to be the case, I mean, he wasn't some MSG Executive's kid or nephew getting a sweetheart try in the NHL.* THAT would have been a disaster. Lias might just prove himself yet.

*Ever have one of those fantasies where you get to play a shift with the NYR in a real game? I used to think about that years ago and at first thought about how cool that would be...then I'd recall my skill level and how a #supremefail that would be. :rofl:

I'm having regrets about being harsh. But I'm wondering who was keeping tabs on him. He must have been underperforming in practice, too. Each of these kids is a multimillion dollar investment. While you can't put a biometric ankle bracelet on him, (actually, why couldn't you?) don't you have to have some way of monitoring mental health, cultural adjustment, sleep, etc.? Did they just miss it all?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I truly think this kid showed his hand when he threw the medal. He furthered proved he was an immature asshole from that day on rather than talking a step back and learning from it. It should of been an holy shit I fucked up moment where he was also counseled to quickly get his shit together. They pissed the draft pick away. He's not a teenager and most importantly he's bad NHL player. Thanks for the laugh on opening night Lias - something to remember you by.

I'd be curious what percentage of the posters here were on their own at 21, working in their career of choice?

People mature at different rates. I see far too many 21, hell 31 year olds who still need to grow up.

Kid may very well be a flop because his skill set was completely overestimated.. But a 21 year old acting like an idiot isn't exactly a news flash.

Well, I was. But that's not really here nor there.

It's not uncommon for kids that age to be immature. It's certainly not uncommon for them to make bad decisions. But it's definitely not common for top 10 draft picks to completely piss away their career and opportunity like that within a couple of years of being drafted. Sure, many don't pan out for various reasons. But very few basically just pack it in after a couple of years. So you can't really take the "boys will be boys" angle. It's probably not a unique situation, but I can't really recall anything similar happening in the last few years.

I'd be curious what percentage of the posters here were on their own at 21, working in their career of choice?

People mature at different rates. I see far too many 21, hell 31 year olds who still need to grow up.

Kid may very well be a flop because his skill set was completely overestimated.. But a 21 year old acting like an idiot isn't exactly a news flash.

If I had to guess. Probably about 90% of every professional athlete in every sport. What “we” as internet posters not in the situation have experienced is irrelevant. As someone that has lived on the other side of the world at a young age and spoke none of the language, I can empathize. However, that’s a regular occurrence for a large portion of pro athletes so with the idea of playing professionally comes a huge responsibility he’s failed to live up to mostly because he seems more like a mental midget than the rest of his counterparts.

• Like 1

If I had to guess. Probably about 90% of every professional athlete in every sport. What “we” as internet posters not in the situation have experienced is irrelevant. As someone that has lived on the other side of the world at a young age and spoke none of the language, I can empathize. However, that’s a regular occurrence for a large portion of pro athletes so with the idea of playing professionally comes a huge responsibility he’s failed to live up to mostly because he seems more like a mental midget than the rest of his counterparts.

You are 100% correct. In the grand scheme of things, what anyone not named Lias Anderson experiences doesn't mean shit for the purposes of this conversation. People hit their strides at different ages, regardless of profession-

I'm more worried about his lack of evidenced skill than I am him being a brat in this scenario.. you can grow up and out of the brat stage, not sure the skill will ever be there.

At some point he's not worth talking about, and he just seems like an excuse for venting. Given his skill level, if he had a great attitude and maturity like Howden, Lias, like Howden, would be headed towards a career as a passable 11 minute per game 4th line grinder. Previous post is correct. The real issue is the talent, not the attitude. Part of the problem with the attitude is that he read his own notices and came to believe that he was more talented than he was. Quite a come down when you find that out.

Just a kid, doing irresponsible stuff, saying stupid things, not handling himself well, and acting generally immature.

This seems like at least a slight step in the direction of taking responsibility for himself.

Not really a kid anymore. This sounds like a 14 year old. He's going to be 22 in October. I won't deny it's a lot to take in, but this was the path he should have expected, or his father should have told him about.

Obviously it could be lost in translation, but it really doesn't sound like he could give two shits about making it to the NHL. HV71 would be good enough for him.

And don't forget. He asked for a trade. This shit doesn't add up.

And what about the other aspect of why he left. Something about bullying?

Was he staying up to play video games with someone special? I'm not going to speculate, but could this video game "friend" be the reason behind the possible bullying? Put the pieces together. A locker room can be pretty brutal about that.

• Like 1

Was he staying up to play video games with someone special? I'm not going to speculate, but could this video game "friend" be the reason behind the possible bullying? Put the pieces together. A locker room can be pretty brutal about that.

I actually mentioned this, but I think it was elsewhere .

He lost his boy Howden. But should wait for K'Andre

I actually mentioned this, but I think it was elsewhere .

He lost his boy Howden. But should wait for K'Andre

WTF does this even mean?

Not really a kid anymore. This sounds like a 14 year old. He's going to be 22 in October. I won't deny it's a lot to take in, but this was the path he should have expected, or his father should have told him about.

Obviously it could be lost in translation, but it really doesn't sound like he could give two shits about making it to the NHL. HV71 would be good enough for him.

And don't forget. He asked for a trade. This shit doesn't add up.

Being of legal age doesn?t make someone an adult. Especially with this generation.

You can attach those expectations, but they?d be just that, expectations.

I?m just looking at like this is what they get for picking him 10 spots too high.

Honestly, it serves them right.

That said, I?m ok with them letting it sit back burner and allowing it to play out for a while.

If they patch it up and take another shot, ok.

If they deal him, ok.

It?s not like they were ever getting a player with true top-10 value anyway. The pick was in a way wasted the moment they took him.