• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jeff Gorton?s Savvy Moves Have Him Ready for Next Rangers Chapter

Scott

Not sure I would of used Fast as a key point in justifying Gorton's value. But ok.

You can, of course, cite the Mika Zibanejad trade as evidence of Rangers general manager Jeff Gorton?s dexterity. The Blueshirts not only pulled off the flip of Derick Brassard during the summer of 2016, but also gained a second-round pick as part of the bargain by deferring the deal until after paying Big Game Brass his $2 million signing bonus due that July 15.

But I prefer to point to this year?s trade deadline, and not because the general manager was able to lock up Chris Kreider with a seven-year extension just before the clock struck the equivalent of midnight for the then-pending unrestricted free agent.

No, what impressed me most about Gorton?s work at the deadline was the decision not to trade similarly pending unrestricted free agent Jesper Fast despite the fact the Blueshirts and winger could not come together regarding his extension.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/14/jeff-gortons-savviness-set-him-up-for-next-rangers-challenge/

Keeping Fast is a good move. The players who vote him MVP year after year know a little more than most posters here.

As for overall job performance on Gorton, I'd say on balance positive, but not as decisively as Uncle Larry would have it. But for the gift of Panarin wanting to play in NY and taking a discount, the Rangers would have been 15 points out of the playoffs and the mood quite different.

The Zib trade is obviously the big positive. The McDonaugh deal and Andersson and perhaps Kratsov drafts negatives. Trouba deal/contract at best lukewarm. Spooner signing/Strome aquisition something of a wash. Fox something of a gift but smart to lock it down with two picks rather than wait until he became a free agent.

Keeping Fast is a good move. The players who vote him MVP year after year know a little more than most posters here.

As for overall job performance on Gorton, I'd say on balance positive, but not as decisively as Uncle Larry would have it. But for the gift of Panarin wanting to play in NY and taking a discount, the Rangers would have been 15 points out of the playoffs and the mood quite different.

The Zib trade is obviously the big positive. The McDonaugh deal and Andersson and perhaps Kratsov drafts negatives. Trouba deal/contract at best lukewarm. Spooner signing/Strome aquisition something of a wash. Fox something of a gift but smart to lock it down with two picks rather than wait until he became a free agent.

Kravtsov was a good pick, he?ll be fine.

And you forget a lot. The Nash trade, got a 2nd and rykov for Grabner and the Hayes trade (and not signing him). Except for Lias the drafting has been really good. Chytil, Miller, Lundkvist looking like almost steals and so far the 2019 draft looks good. Can also mention getting another early 20 1st rounder for Skjei.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Larry is totally over cooking the Fast point, because

a) they were never getting a 2nd rounder for him this deadline and

b)keeping hold of him made a certain amount of sense, but it's not some sort of genius move proving his excellence as a GM

That being said, overall he 's done a fine job. Of course, there are some misses. The McD trade looks bad, the Spooner and Namestnikov contracts were not good, I didn't love the buyout of Shattenkirk. But when assessing him, you circle back to the letter and think about what the trajectory of the team over the next 4-5 years looked like. And it wasn't good. He's managed to completely revamp the farm system, and the team looks like it can be back competing very soon - with a core that can be kept together for the long run. Despite some missteps, that's where the focus has to be.

Larry is totally over cooking the Fast point, because

a) they were never getting a 2nd rounder for him this deadline and

b)keeping hold of him made a certain amount of sense, but it's not some sort of genius move proving his excellence as a GM

That being said, overall he 's done a fine job. Of course, there are some misses. The McD trade looks bad, the Spooner and Namestnikov contracts were not good, I didn't love the buyout of Shattenkirk. But when assessing him, you circle back to the letter and think about what the trajectory of the team over the next 4-5 years looked like. And it wasn't good. He's managed to completely revamp the farm system, and the team looks like it can be back competing very soon - with a core that can be kept together for the long run. Despite some missteps, that's where the focus has to be.

Agreed

If Gorton had gotten the offer of a 2nd rounder for Fast, there’s at least a fair chance he’d have pulled the trigger on it.

The deal on McD still bothers me a little.

To give up both McD, a top pairing D, and Miller who is a top-6 winger, and not get a single “premium” piece back is bad in my eyes. Especially when you consider that both had control left. McD had a full season left, and Miller was an RFA after that season.

Obviously they are still pretty high on Hajek, but neither then nor now does he represent a great piece.

I still think he did ok, and some of his other deals make up for it somewhat, but McD was his best piece to trade, and he didn’t nail it.

It’s similar to the Hall trade in my opinion. No premium piece there as well. Devils are high on Bahl as they should be, and Hall was going UFA.

Just think it’s usually a miss when you trade a player of that caliber and don’t get one great piece in the deal.

Like JD said, not every deal will be a slam dunk but your batting average has to be up there. McD and Miller were those “misses”.

I agree. They aren’t all going to be great. No one gets them all right.

Just saying that the McD deal is the deal you shouldn’t miss on.

I agree. They aren?t all going to be great. No one gets them all right.

Just saying that the McD deal is the deal you shouldn?t miss on.

But thats usually how it works. If you?re trading the best player you?re most likely losing the trade. They went for many pieces with solid upside (Howden and Hajek, two recent 1st rounders) a roster winger that could?ve worked out (he didnt) and a 1st and a 2nd.

Its the same with Hall (as you said).

But thats usually how it works. If you’re trading the best player you’re most likely losing the trade. They went for many pieces with solid upside (Howden and Hajek, two recent 1st rounders) a roster winger that could’ve worked out (he didnt) and a 1st and a 2nd.

Its the same with Hall (as you said).

Totally get your logic. And I agree that when you trade the already established best player in the trade, you usually end up losing the trade in the long run.

What I’m saying though, is that while you ultimately might lose the trade because of the above, you can still get a great return.

And he didn’t in this instance.

All things considered, big picture, it’s ok. Hardly the end of the world. He’s done well on most other things and he still did ok in this one. Just was hoping for better, and I don’t think that was an illogical hope.

howden and hajek are still young. probably too light of a haul but could turn out to be o.k.

tampa got the better of the deal no doubt, though j.t. isn't there anymore

True, but they turned Miller into a pretty good first rounder.

True, but they turned Miller into a pretty good first rounder.

That trade was right for all parties.

Miller got 18+ minutes a night in those games he played right after he was traded to Tampa in February of 18 and he was a point per game player. They cut him to below 15 minutes a night the following season, though he did keep a nice chunk of PP time, and he was still just below 50 points, despite missing some games.

Clearly he wasn?t going to fit in their top-6 where he belongs and they needed the cap space.

They trade him and every ?expert? bashed the trade, saying they ripped Vancouver off, and Miller has the best season of his career.

I think this covid situation is probably really advantageous for the rangers from a mindset perspective.

You had a group of young guys who felt like they could legitimately make the playoffs, and were playing their best hockey. While the playoffs were unlikely, you now have a Schrodinger's cat situation where you can believe you would have. And if they start the season again, there's an asterisk and the belief that if not for an unforeseen interruption, they would be "contenders".

I've heard numerous rangers speak with this belief since the season halted and I firmly believe that this break actually further cemented a winning culture or belief among this group, and I expect major buy-in next season.

I?d still probably have 7 years of Trouba at $8 million per starting at age 25 vs 7 years of McD at $6.75 million per starting at age 30.

You're not choosing between Trouba and McDonough.

They didn't need to pay McDonagh what Tampa did. Where they could have moved them the following year as a UFA.

they should have kept Miller who would be the perfect right wing to play with Strome and Panarin at a reasonable cap hit.

You're keeping ADA and Fox, and paying them, and finding the left side D that we need right now anyway. Without the luggage of paying the right side D 3 astronomical paychecks.

You're not choosing between Trouba and McDonough.

They didn't need to pay McDonagh what Tampa did. Where they could have moved them the following year as a UFA.

they should have kept Miller who would be the perfect right wing to play with Strome and Panarin at a reasonable cap hit.

You're keeping ADA and Fox, and paying them, and finding the left side D that we need right now anyway. Without the luggage of paying the right side D 3 astronomical paychecks.

I know it’s not a direct choice between the 2. And I totally agree with the fact that Miller would’ve fit perfectly here and would’ve been an affordable option and that having McD right now would shore up things.

My only point was the contracts between the 2 is all.

Though I do think to stay here long-term, McD would’ve gotten close to what Tampa gave him.

It’s the late additions of Miller and Namestnikov that throws this deal off.

Iirc, Carpiniello reported that the Rangers wanted Hajek, Howden and a 1st but Yzerman would only do Hajek if Miller was part of the deal. Seems like their valuation of Hajek was too high, and my gut feeling is Yzerman caught on to that.

If the deal was as originally proposed, you’d sit here now and say ok, they got what might be a bottom pair defenseman, a bottom six forward and a pick that became Lundkvist. If the first two become real NHL players and Lundkvist keeps developing into a legitimate top 4 d, that’s not too shabby. But then you add giving up Miller and getting fuck all out of Namestnikov and it looks decidedly meh again.

In hindsight, they’d probably be better off walking away from Hajek and turning Miller into a 1st the following year.

It’s the late additions of Miller and Namestnikov that throws this deal off.

Iirc, Carpiniello reported that the Rangers wanted Hajek, Howden and a 1st but Yzerman would only do Hajek if Miller was part of the deal. Seems like their valuation of Hajek was too high, and my gut feeling is Yzerman caught on to that.

If the deal was as originally proposed, you’d sit here now and say ok, they got what might be a bottom pair defenseman, a bottom six forward and a pick that became Lundkvist. If the first two become real NHL players and Lundkvist keeps developing into a legitimate top 4 d, that’s not too shabby. But then you add giving up Miller and getting fuck all out of Namestnikov and it looks decidedly meh again.

In hindsight, they’d probably be better off walking away from Hajek and turning Miller into a 1st the following year.

Definitely overvalued Hajek, though the jury is still out on him. Still just 22 and has played just over 100 games of NA pro hockey, and only 30 something games at NHL level.

I’d love JT Miller right now though. He would fit perfectly on this roster in any number of roles, and at $26.25 million over 5 years until age 30, that’s a bargain.