• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Silver Lining to Brendan Lemieux’s Disappointing Rangers Season

Scott

Don't care if he's here or not at this point. The better the team gets I think a guy like him becomes even less relevant. He's amusing on a bad team. He tries hard. He's not smart.

The traditional numbers are not going to be of any help to Brendan Lemieux in negotiating a new contract and neither are the more esoteric ones. Six goals, 12 assists, 42.2 percent Corsi, on for 19 goals for and 30 against at full strength. Yikes.

But there is one stat that the winger’s team — the off-ice one captained by his agent and father, Claude — should be pleased to present general manager Jeff Gorton, and, should it get to that, an arbitrator, to highlight his contributions.

And that is the penalties drawn vs. penalties taken stat that reveals Lemieux’s effectiveness as an agitator. Because even accounting for those times that referees whistled The Son of Pepe off the ice for imaginary infractions and those times that the fine officials gave opponents two or three whacks at No. 48, Lemieux drew 19 minors while taking only six himself at even-strength for a plus-13 that led the Blueshirts. [/Quote]

https://nypost.com/2020/04/01/the-silver-lining-to-brendan-lemieuxs-disappointing-rangers-season/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

Too young and too inexpensive to give up on him. Let's see what he's got for 3 years at a nice price, and go from there. I like his grit. He just needs to learn and pick his spots. Again, patience with these kids....not every player is tailor suited for the NHL in their early twenties.

Some fair points Ozzy but no way in the world would I sign him for 3 years. To me we have a bunch of not good enough bottom six guys so at some point you have to upgrade them rather than rolling the dice on all of them hoping they eventually turn out to be more than essentially a placeholder plug. To me we're a 2 line team AT best at this time.

Imo this is where the mismanagement of the cap is going to hold them back. Especially if cheap is the pre-requisite of the bottom six players.

The most striking thing in the article for me was the stat on Strome: 17 penalties taken; 3 drawn. You'd think that just being put in good positions by Panarin would be enough to even this stat out. We all had noticed Strome's propensity to take needless offensive zone penalties and this confirms it.

As for Brendan, he really did not look effective this year. Brooks obviously likes him and is trying to soft pedal what was not a good season.

He was starting to play well just before he got hurt. Then when he came back he seemed totally useless.

Agreed. Thought he was starting to maybe even progress as a player, but was really a non factor when he came back from the injury.

I definitely take him back. Not sure I go much higher than 1.3 for 3 years though. I still hold out hope he develops a little more. He's shown the ability to be more than just an agitator a few times. When he works hard and can control himself, he's an asset.

Look it's him or Haley....

He lacks a bit of discipline in the D-Zone and I'm not convinced his hockey IQ is through the roof.

But with some guidance and experience he could be a good 4th liner.

Fast, Lemieux and a responsible two way C (i.e. not Howden) could be a serviceable 4th line on a team with aspirations.

• Like 1

Some fair points Ozzy but no way in the world would I sign him for 3 years. To me we have a bunch of not good enough bottom six guys so at some point you have to upgrade them rather than rolling the dice on all of them hoping they eventually turn out to be more than essentially a placeholder plug. To me we're a 2 line team AT best at this time.

Imo this is where the mismanagement of the cap is going to hold them back. Especially if cheap is the pre-requisite of the bottom six players.

I mean you can absolutely sign someone to a 3 year deal and get rid of them or bury them in the minors if his contract is cheap enough (and I think it will be). 3 years doesn't lock you into anything.

I like the edge he brings. I like that he can play up the lineup a little bit in a pinch. He seems to be a "glue guy" as they say. I'd resign him.

He graduated from "Change of Pace 4th Liner" to "Full Time 4th Liner" for me this year.

I think his ceiling has one more notch in it, plus he's really entertaining. It's always nice to have a bona fide heel on your team.

I also wouldn't bet against him being a playoff performer, either, if we get to that point.

in my opinion you don't need to lock up a 4th liner for multiple years, 2 would be a stretch 3 totally unnecessary. I also don't think it comes down to him or Haley as mentioned previously. There's always multiple 4th line players available on the market in free agency. If he's here I hope he succeeds. I just think you don't have a bottom six where you hope most of them still take that step forward. We have plenty if not too many of those kind of guys.

I think he can be a solid 3rd liner. Seems his injury threw him last year

I do as well. I see some flashes of good in him, and I also think he has another gear or two in him to progress. He plays hard all the time and seems to be very well liked by the rest of the team. He's got his flaws, but they all do at this point. Especially defensively, but I think this kid is exactly what this team needs ...kinda like a poor man's Tikannen.

Lack of discipline and stupid penalties notwithstanding, he could really be a nice 4th line player.

131 games into his career and with a legitimate NHL bloodline I’m not near writing him off.

Especially when they can get his next 2 seasons cheap.

At the very least, he’s the devil you know.