• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Captain Zibanejad Coming in 2020-21?

Phil

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion and that's fine, but Zibanejad doesn't really strike me as Captain material for this team. I love the guy but let him continue doing what he does best: scoring. I really don't see any value added by naming him captain.

interesting point. going along with the same logic, Kreider would probably benefit the most by being named C. he would know not to disappear for half the season

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

H
This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion and that's fine, but Zibanejad doesn't really strike me as Captain material for this team. I love the guy but let him continue doing what he does best: scoring. I really don't see any value added by naming him captain.
Yeah, I kind of agree with you. It's a real unpopular opinion. ;)

Define "captain material."

He might be what that room needs/wants. We have no insight into this sort of thing. For fans, it's just a merchandising play.

Well obviously I'm just going off very minor snippets of what we see on TV/social media but Zibanejad doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would get the room going when needed, either with the coaches around or not. Or the kinda guy that would mentor players one-on-one on on/off ice issues. All of that could be completely different behind the scenes, but that's just the basis of my opinion that's all. For the record, as much of a fan as I am of Kreider, I don't think he fits that bill completely either, but more so than Zibanejad at least.

Someone please tell me what I was wrong about?

I won't wait because no one can LOL.

Naming someone as a leader on your team simply because they have a contract is a terrible idea.

Me thinks your being trolled... :)

That being said i don't see the hurry to hang the C on someone. The right guy will rise when the time is right.

the leadership base is in transition anyway. its going to be ck/zibs/panarins team moving forward if its not already.

• 3 months later...
Sooo, is Lafreniere a Captain type? Would be ballsy to name him captain right away, but waiting another season seems weird.

We still think Mika (or Kreider) gets it, or does this change things?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He was Captain for his QMJHL team. Given his compete level, which naturally showcases leading by example, I'd say he's an excellent candidate to be a future captain.

Sooo, is Lafreniere a Captain type? Would be ballsy to name him captain right away, but waiting another season seems weird.

We still think Mika (or Kreider) gets it, or does this change things?

It would be idiotic to name him captain right away like that. It should be Ziby for everything he does both sides of the puck.

• Like 1

It would be idiotic to name him captain right away like that. It should be Ziby for everything he does both sides of the puck.

It's certainly unprecedented. Anyone similar at least played a full season first i.e. Landeskog, Toews, Crosby, etc. I'd argue it's a weigh that he doesn't need. If for some reason Zibanejad isn't here in two years when is contract expires then maybe I'll think about it. Now definite no.

Before he even skates a shift, man here we go.

I'll be thrilled if he actually proves he can play and compete at this level not like the other guy.

I know some 1st OA has been named captain very early (within first 2 seasons). I know he wont be captain right away and he shouldnt be. But its been over a year, so something tells me they?re not sure about Mika (or Kreider) as captain. So if Lafreniere is a leader and the org see him as a future Captain, it would be weird to give it to someone for a year or two and then take it away.

I know some 1st OA has been named captain very early (within first 2 seasons). I know he wont be captain right away and he shouldnt be. But its been over a year, so something tells me they’re not sure about Mika (or Kreider) as captain. So if Lafreniere is a leader and the org see him as a future Captain, it would be weird to give it to someone for a year or two and then take it away.

Kreider and Zib are not really captain types, let's get real. They have charisma and leadership qualities, but not Captain.

Kreider not being signed going into last season MAY have played into it, it wasn't even certain he was going to be here at the end of the season. Mika has a year left now. Like someone else said think it's theirs to lose and rightfully so. The team should be in a position now to take another step forward. I don't even think it mattered nobody wore the C last season. I think the vets wear the letters this season and whoever wears the C wears it for a handful of years going forward. I also don't think it's all that important that the rookie doesn't get it any time soon. This team is in better shape with a couple of high level players where Edmonton, Buffalo for example were shit shows imo.

I agree with this, both are soft spoken. You not only need to have energy on the ice, you need to have energy of the ice.

I like Zib, but would not give him C.

For example take his interview with Kreider after loss to Corolina.

He couldnt find words.

Kreider and Zib are not really captain types, let's get real. They have charisma and leadership qualities, but not Captain.

I feel like you're splitting hairs here; they have good leadership qualities, they're charismatic, but they're not fit to be a charismatic leader? You'll have to explain this one some.

I'd also probably pre-empt that if you're going with the "puts the team on their back" angle, Mika's got you covered there.

I feel like you're splitting hairs here; they have good leadership qualities, they're charismatic, but they're not fit to be a charismatic leader? You'll have to explain this one some.

I'd also probably pre-empt that if you're going with the "puts the team on their back" angle, Mika's got you covered there.

there are supplemental/part-time leaders and then there are the leaders that want to lead and be a full time leader. You want to give captaincy to somebody you know won't be affected negatively by it. I like Foligno type captain. I have a feeling Morgan Barron could be captain type.

there are supplemental/part-time leaders and then there are the leaders that want to lead and be a full time leader. You want to give captaincy to somebody you know won't be affected negatively by it. I like Foligno type captain. I have a feeling Morgan Barron could be captain type.

The body of evidence around both Kreider and Zibanejad suggest that they're more likely to meet that need than a player who we're not even sure will be negatively affected by being in the NHL, let alone whether or not he'll be negatively affected by the AHL

Where do you get this stuff from lol?

I love the dude on my profile but rangers fans have to get away from this idea that every captain has to be mess like. Ziby diving on the P.K, scoring 5, getting gwg, hustling every shift. That’s leadership to me. The Leetch situation was very very different. They lost their captain and Leetch was asked to fill his shoes. This teams identity is build around who they have now, not who they lost. Hell, as much as it pains me to say it, I think Hank is more of a distraction than anything else because the team plays very different when Hank is in net as compared to either Georgie or Shesh ( just by my eye test at least )

I love the dude on my profile but rangers fans have to get away from this idea that every captain has to be mess like. Ziby diving on the P.K, scoring 5, getting gwg, hustling every shift. That?s leadership to me. The Leetch situation was very very different. They lost their captain and Leetch was asked to fill his shoes. This teams identity is build around who they have now, not who they lost. Hell, as much as it pains me to say it, I think Hank is more of a distraction than anything else because the team plays very different when Hank is in net as compared to either Georgie or Shesh ( just by my eye test at least )
I agree with the last part.

They are a defensive in front of him where there are way tighter in front of the other two goalies. They're used to playing fast and loose in front of Hank.