• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Captain Zibanejad Coming in 2020-21?

Phil

Mika Zibanejad was the obvious choice to be named captain before the start of the season, but management apparently believed that would put undue pressure on No. 93. It would be shocking if Zibanejad does not wear the ?C? next year.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/31/rangers-mailbag-the-likely-henrik-lundqvist-outcome-alternate-draft-reality/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Kreider would be a fine choice and I am certain he will be in the mix for the assignment. I have been touting Zibanejad as the natural choice, but he has only two years remaining on his contract before he is eligible to become a free agent. Kreider has seven years to go.

So I wonder if that might be taken into consideration when management mulls its options. I would expect one or the other to wear the “C” next year.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/07/rangers-mailbag-wide-range-of-questions-surround-kaapo-kakko/

If they wanted to make him captain, why would they wait? It's not an NHL requirement that they wait until the offseason.

Same reason they waited last year. And the year before that. They want to see who steps into the role.

I mean, maybe they want Kreider. That's fine with me. But to assume it won't be Mika because of his contract is up two years from now is a little lazy.

Since I've been watching, the Rangers have traded the following captains: Nevin, Hadfield, Park, Kisio, Callahan and McDonaugh. The didn't sign Messier and Jagr and they bought out Drury. It doesn't make the team less likely to dispatch a player, and it follows that they don't have to expect a guy to be around indefinitely to make him captain.

If they wanted to make him captain, why would they wait? It's not an NHL requirement that they wait until the offseason.

Same reason they waited last year. And the year before that. They want to see who steps into the role.

I mean, maybe they want Kreider. That's fine with me. But to assume it won't be Mika because of his contract is up two years from now is a little lazy.

Because they really wanted to make Staal captain , but they didn’t want to be in a situation wherein, they...

A) Had to healthy scratch their Captain for diminished play.

Or

B) Traded a Captain for the 3rd consecutive time.

Is it? The last two guys they named captain ended up traded due to issues with contract extensions.

Is it? The last two guys they named captain ended up traded due to issues with contract extensions.

Right. It makes complete sense to factor in contract status. You're hoping the captain you pick can help provide you with many years of leadership and helping with team identity.

At some point, we'll be talking about Zibanejad's asking price, injury history, etc. going into his thirties. It is 100% a valid outlook when talking captain. With that said, I think they'll pick him as captain anyway and cross that bridge later.

The last 2 guys they named captain weren't superstars. Zib is an elite center.

Yes, I get the contract talking point, but it should be a non factor here.

It would be a terrible move to name Kreider captain because he has a contract and then watch as he disappear for 20 game clips.

And what do we do? Let him go or sign him to that contract? That's going to be one tough decision

I'd pay Zibby. By then all the wasted cap money should be available. Hank, Staal, Smith and Shatty's buyout leaves a LOT more room for a lot of things....Zibby I would put damn near the top of that "to do" list....when the time comes.

The last 2 guys they named captain weren't superstars. Zib is an elite center.

Yes, I get the contract talking point, but it should be a non factor here.

It would be a terrible move to name Kreider captain because he has a contract and then watch as he disappear for 20 game clips.

I mean, I agree, but that's not the reality of the situation. I wasn't saying the contract is the only reason (or even the primary one) — just that it's not not a factor, you know? Like, if Panarin was a UFA next season, he's an elite player, too, but you'd be silly to name anyone captain who you don't have forseeable contract control over.