• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Captain Zibanejad Coming in 2020-21?

Phil

I'd pay Zibby. By then all the wasted cap money should be available. Hank, Staal, Smith and Shatty's buyout leaves a LOT more room for a lot of things....Zibby I would put damn near the top of that "to do" list....when the time comes.

as cap goes up, the salaries will too. how many long and expensive contract can one team have and still be a contender? we saw the problems shittsburg and chicage were/are having.

plus Zib is concussion prone. not sure its a smart idea to break bank on him

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, I agree, but that's not the reality of the situation. I wasn't saying the contract is the only reason (or even the primary one) — just that it's not not a factor, you know? Like, if Panarin was a UFA next season, he's an elite player, too, but you'd be silly to name anyone captain who you don't have forseeable contract control over.

I mean...

Callahan was named captain after signing a 3 year deal. Traded 2 and a half years later.

Drury was named captain in 2008 with 4 years left, and they bought him out!

Jagr was captain with 3 years left and only played two of them.

I don't think it would be silly to name Zib captain, if anything you continue to build histeam around him, and it helps you resign him.

Zib can get the C when he leads this team to the playoffs. Who gives a shit who the leader is of one of the worst teams in the league the last 3 seasons.

You're being general to make a strange point. Rangers were 16th in the league last year. 2 points out of a playoff spot with 12 games to go and Mika was dragging them there.

Hardly the worst team in the league.

They have 4 teams with the same number of points, 3 with less points.

Cumulatively, they are one of the worst teams during the last 3 seasons.

Okay, so part of your criteria for captain of the 2020 team is 2016 team play? Seems like you're just being difficult for no reason haha.

I mean...

Callahan was named captain after signing a 3 year deal. Traded 2 and a half years later.

Right. Because they couldn't sign him.

Drury was named captain in 2008 with 4 years left, and they bought him out!

Named captain in '08, bought out in '11. That's four years of stability.

Jagr was captain with 3 years left and only played two of them.

Jagr wasn't a great captain in the first place. He didn't even want it. They basically forced it on him. This was also like fifteen years ago.

I don't think it would be silly to name Zib captain, if anything you continue to build histeam around him, and it helps you resign him.

I don't either. But I understand that the uncertainty around his future is still a factor in making this decision. Especially in the immediate wake of McDonagh and Callahan.

You're being general to make a strange point. Rangers were 16th in the league last year. 2 points out of a playoff spot with 12 games to go and Mika was dragging them there.

Hardly the worst team in the league.

I could have agreed with josh's point if not for the clear and quick upwards ascent the last 2+ months of the season. To disregard that is a bit dishonest about how "bad" the team is.

Okay, so part of your criteria for captain of the 2020 team is 2016 team play? Seems like you're just being difficult for no reason haha.

We can base it on this season. *checks notes* yup, still not a winning team, even with Panarin.

I could have agreed with josh's point if not for the clear and quick upwards ascent the last 2+ months of the season. To disregard that is a bit dishonest about how "bad" the team is.

I'll acknowledge 2 months of work when Pete does the same with Kreider.

How many players on a roster have at least 3 years of term left at any give moment? If that's a requirement to be captain, you are unnecessarily limiting the pool of applicants. 93 and 20 would both make good captains. I lean towards 20, partly due to his great inter-cultural abilities. 93 has an unusual soft and gentle touch with his teammates, which is not a bad thing, but occasionally, you have to be Mark Messier and threaten to throw Petr Klima out of the plane at 35,000 feet.

Right. Because they couldn't sign him.

Named captain in '08, bought out in '11. That's four years of stability.

Jagr wasn't a great captain in the first place. He didn't even want it. They basically forced it on him. This was also like fifteen years ago.

I don't either. But I understand that the uncertainty around his future is still a factor in making this decision. Especially in the immediate wake of McDonagh and Callahan.

Drury was captain for 08-09, 09-10, and 10-11 where he only played 24 games and was then bought out, but that's irrelevant. Point is majority of the recent captains only had 3 or 4 years left on their deal, and only ended up lasting for 2ish seasons. There's nothing in their recent history showing they need someone to be signed for the next 5+ years to name a captain.

Maybe they dont want to give it to someone else while members of the old guard are still around (henrik, Staal)

Congrats, youre the captain while Henrik Lundqvist gets bought out it worse than being captain and getting bought out, at this point.

We can base it on this season. *checks notes* yup, still not a winning team, even with Panarin.

I just genuinely don't understand your point.

Zib can get the C when he leads this team to the playoffs.

- okay, he was doing that this season.

Who gives a shit who the leader is of one of the worst teams in the league the last 3 seasons.

- drastically improved this season, 16th in the league (not worst) Why does 3 years ago matter again?

- Again, 9 games over .500, 2 points out of a playoff spot with 12 games to go. What is a winning team if that's not one? Division winning? Cup winning?

By your standards half the league, maybe more, shouldn't have captains, especially if you're taking into consideration the last 3 years of team play -- an odd metric for a rebuilding team. My assumption is that you're just stirring the pot for the hell of it, because I can't see any logic.

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion and that's fine, but Zibanejad doesn't really strike me as Captain material for this team. I love the guy but let him continue doing what he does best: scoring. I really don't see any value added by naming him captain.