Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "I expect Lundqvist to be bought out,"

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    Then he should waive his ntc

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    And if nobody wants him at 4.25M (half cap) when they can get him for less after being bought out?

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    What about unconditional waivers for purposes of contract termination. These circumvent the cap, correct? That's his option if he doesnt want to be a back up
    They cant just terminate his contract. He has to stop showing up to practices and such for the team to be able to terminate his contract. Plus what incentive does he have to lose out on $6M at the twilight if his career?

What about unconditional waivers for purposes of contract termination. These circumvent the cap, correct? That's his option if he doesnt want to be a back up
    He won't be okay losing millions to do the Rangers a solid. Broaching him with that scenario is far worse than a buyout.

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    He won't be okay losing millions to do the Rangers a solid. Broaching him with that scenario is far worse than a buyout.
    $1m signing bonus on July 1. After that, he's 4.5m for the rest of the season. It might be worth it to his pride to try to get a chance to be a starter elsewhere. If he sits on the bench, his career is over, he wont be able to get a starting job elsewhere in 2022. NOW, he might have a chance to rejuvenate his career else where, for 2, 3 seasons, maybe.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Banned Junior Division
    I don’t think any team will hire him to be anything more than a backup at this point. Not sure that would a rejuvenation. Players typically play until no one wants them anymore. Not sure if any team wants a 38 year old backup

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    To be clear, a Hank buyout does absolutely nothing to help the cap.

I get why they are doing this, to free themselves of an ugly situation they created, but it's certainly not the route I would have went.

Backups are easy to find, trade Geo and have Hank backup Shesty.

That's my opinion, I have no interest in litigating it in this thread. It's a dead issue, if they're buying him out.
    I agree here. Rather keep Hank and trade Georgiev. At some point, Georgiev is also going to want a nice pay raise. Move him over the summer and get some picks for him, and Hank comes off the books the following season.

Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    I don’t think any team will hire him to be anything more than a backup at this point. Not sure that would a rejuvenation. Players typically play until no one wants them anymore. Not sure if any team wants a 38 year old backup
    Could start for: Calgary, Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, Colorado, Columbus, Detroit, Edmonton, LA, Minnesota?, Ottawa, San Jose, Washington?

Banned Junior Division
    Could start for: Calgary, Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, Colorado, Columbus, Detroit, Edmonton, LA, Minnesota?, Ottawa, San Jose, Washington?
    A 38 year old hasbeen? I think you are overrating his abilities.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Brooks is only stating what must be taken as the obvious, given that the Rangers' intentions were made clear by consigning Hank to a No.3 position after the Sheshty call up. Moving the lion's share of his hit from next season to the season after that has got to be a big part of their thinking.

It makes zero sense to buy out any of Lundqvist, Staal, or Smith unless it is a full amnesty buyout.
    Really don’t see how it makes much sense to buyout any player in the last year of a deal as all 3 of the above are.
    Makes little sense given that they are still in a rebuild or at best transitioning out of one into playoff contender.

With Hank it would save them $3 million this next season, cost $5.5 in dead cap, and then cost them another $1.5 in dead cap in 21-22.
    I’d rather have a veteran backup for a season anyway if that’s what it comes down to. While I’d like Georgiev as the long-term backup, finding another guy to be number 2 behind Shesty in a year or so isn’t a major roster challenge.

^Yup. Were still building. Also allows Henrik a fitting good-bye. Yeah its a business but this seems to be the win-win for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    It makes zero sense to buy out any of Lundqvist, Staal, or Smith unless it is a full amnesty buyout.
    Really don’t see how it makes much sense to buyout any player in the last year of a deal as all 3 of the above are.
    Makes little sense given that they are still in a rebuild or at best transitioning out of one into playoff contender.

With Hank it would save them $3 million this next season, cost $5.5 in dead cap, and then cost them another $1.5 in dead cap in 21-22.
    I’d rather have a veteran backup for a season anyway if that’s what it comes down to. While I’d like Georgiev as the long-term backup, finding another guy to be number 2 behind Shesty in a year or so isn’t a major roster challenge.
    I do not agree. Staal buyout saves 2M next season with a 1M dead caphit in 21. That 2M might be the difference between affording a quality LD now or having to trot Staal back out there. In this scenario, a 1M dead caphit in 21 is an extremely small and negligible price to pay to make a fairly significant upgrade to the roster for next year. In fact, not performing a buyout in such a situation makes no sense to me. Potentially wasting a year of a bunch of our core in order to save 1M is penny wise and pound foolish.

I do not agree. Staal buyout saves 2M next season with a 1M dead caphit in 21. That 2M might be the difference between affording a quality LD now or having to trot Staal back out there. In this scenario, a 1M dead caphit in 21 is an extremely small and negligible price to pay to make a fairly significant upgrade to the roster for next year. In fact, not performing a buyout in such a situation makes no sense to me. Potentially wasting a year of a bunch of our core in order to save 1M is penny wise and pound foolish.
    Except that they already have $7.5 million in dead cap next season.
    While I do see your point, it just don’t see how they can afford more dead cap even with some savings associated.

Dead Cap w/Lundqvist buyout- $13 million for $3 million in savings.
    Dead Cap w/Staal buyout- $11 million+ for $2.1 million in savings.
    Dead Cap w/Smith buyout- $10 million+ for $1.5 million in savings.

I just don’t believe they’d want to do that.
    Is the savings worth the dead cap on top of $7.5 million next year already in the books.
    Last edited by RangersIn7; 04-01-2020 at 04:15 PM.

Moot point. Water under the bridge. Buying out Staal still frees up 2M of space this year at the expense of 1M in space the next year. Doesn't matter now if they have no dead space or 20M in dead space this year.

Sometimes it's wise to take a small loan against future cap if the expected return on investment makes it worth it, especially when we may not see an increase in cap this season due to the shortened season.

Moot point. Water under the bridge. Buying out Staal still frees up 2M of space this year at the expense of 1M in space the next year. Doesn't matter now if they have no dead space or 20M in dead space this year.

Sometimes it's wise to take a small loan against future cap if the expected return on investment makes it worth it, especially when we may not see an increase in cap this season due to the shortened season.
    Not moot in the numbers we are talking about.
    Not to mention the fact that they need to get away from buyouts.
    Bad organizational practice to use their money that way.

They have 195 LHD prospects 1-2 years away from being NHL players. If they go out and sign or trade for a LHD, it better come with firing a majority of their scouts, and members of their upper management.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    While I do see your point, it just don’t see how they can afford more dead cap even with some savings associated.

Dead Cap w/Lundqvist buyout- $13 million for $3 million in savings.
    Dead Cap w/Staal buyout- $11 million+ for $2.1 million in savings.
    Dead Cap w/Smith buyout- $10 million+ for $1.5 million in savings.

I just don’t believe they’d want to do that.
    Is the savings worth the dead cap on top of $7.5 million next year already in the books.
    This. They shouldn't buyout anyone, they are buying their way out of a PR mess that they created.

Not moot in the numbers we are talking about.
    Not to mention the fact that they need to get away from buyouts.
    Bad organizational practice to use their money that way.
    So you disagree that buying out Staal frees up 2M against the cap to use for something else? I can show you it does.

They have 195 LHD prospects 1-2 years away from being NHL players. If they go out and sign or trade for a LHD, it better come with firing a majority of their scouts, and members of their upper management.
    Yeah, they wouldn't make a trade AND hold onto all of their average LD prospects, save for maybe Miller who is likely several years away.

So you disagree that buying out Staal frees up 2M against the cap to use for something else? I can show you it does.
    I’m well aware of the fact that they’d save $2.133 million by buying Staal out. I’m well aware that the savings could be utilized elsewhere.
    I’ve clearly acknowledged that.
    I’m not anywhere near ignorant of the savings.

I just don’t see it as being worth it.
    They have some space as is. We don’t know who they’re going to keep in terms of their FA’s.
    They can make a trade for an LD.
    Or they can bring up a young guy, which if the pattern they’ve been in holds, they likely will.

Also, I don’t see them doing it with Staal or Hank. I don’t believe they’d do either of their 2 longest tenured players that way.
    They’re out from under both of them fully in 15 months. Organization still values having them on the roster with all these young guys.

I could certainly be wrong but I don’t see it.
    Last edited by RangersIn7; 04-01-2020 at 04:45 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast