• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

"I expect Lundqvist to be bought out,"

Phil

I expect Lundqvist to be bought out, with the Rangers going with an Igor Shesterkin-Alex Gerorgiev tandem in nets.

The club will need to get a veteran goaltender under contract for 2021-22 to expose in the Seattle expansion draft. J-F Berube, who finished the AHL season with Hartford after the Rangers acquired the 28-year-old from Philadelphia leading up to the deadline, becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer. Management might want to consider signing the one-time Islanders third goalie to a two-year deal with substantial minor league pay.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/31/rangers-mailbag-the-likely-henrik-lundqvist-outcome-alternate-draft-reality/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever is set for the cap after this debacle, it is going to be lower for next season and, presumably, higher for the following season after a full season of revenues is completed. This increases the chance of a Hank buyout, because they will need to move the bulk of his cap hit from next year, when the cap is artificially low, to the following year, when it will be at least somewhat higher.

Whatever is set for the cap after this debacle, it is going to be lower for next season and, presumably, higher for the following season after a full season of revenues is completed. This increases the chance of a Hank buyout, because they will need to move the bulk of his cap hit from next year, when the cap is artificially low, to the following year, when it will be at least somewhat higher.

When the cap goes up, and you waste that cap on buyouts, that's poor management. Theyve already created a huge cap issue for next season. A Lunqvist buyout means you are spending as much on dead weight as you are on Artemi Panarin. You have to realize that you are handcuffing your team. Imagine this team with another Panarin!

• Like 1

they have painted themselves into a corner a lot the recent years cap wise. Hopefully they don't shoot themselves in the foot as much going forward. As you said Josh if they buy Hank out and they end up having a Panarin worth of dead cap space that's just terrible. Trouba's deal likely being the next one that's gonna possibly hurt. I know Panarin is the new superstar here and I love everything about his game. His deal is likely to be an issue on the back end too. If they win a cup or two it would be worth it. I get you have to be willing to go the extra term and dollars to get the superstar (that's not Trouba) but it's a double edged sword for sure. When your young (see cheep) guys don't pan out as well as you would like it's a bad combination. They need to step way up for this thing to work.

We've seen nothing indicating a drop in cap. What I think is more likely is a repeat of this season, with an amnesty buyout included to help teams get compliant.

I'd also imagine it's how they'd say goodbye to Hank.

Would make more sense to allow a compliance buyout next offseason, before or after the expansion draft.

If they cancel the rest of the season, and give a compliance buyout, I think we lose a bunch of guys to retirement. Shitty way to go. At least with Seattle, it gives players another option, as well as a chance for a new franchise to have recognizable names.

We've seen nothing indicating a drop in cap. What I think is more likely is a repeat of this season, with an amnesty buyout included to help teams get compliant.

I'd also imagine it's how they'd say goodbye to Hank.

How about the ability to clear dead cap space instead? Say 6.08M?

To be clear, a Hank buyout does absolutely nothing to help the cap.

I get why they are doing this, to free themselves of an ugly situation they created, but it's certainly not the route I would have went.

Backups are easy to find, trade Geo and have Hank backup Shesty.

That's my opinion, I have no interest in litigating it in this thread. It's a dead issue, if they're buying him out.

I get why they are doing this, to free themselves of an ugly situation they created, but it's certainly not the route I would have went.

That's my opinion, I have no interest in litigating it in this thread. It's a dead issue, if they're buying him out.

I?m with Pete on this one.. georgiev isn?t going to overtake shesty as the starter and let hank retire a ranger

Well put, Pete! Not just the bolded, but yeah...I agree with your opinion.

We've got enough cap wasted next season. I can wait another season for 25 million to open up and get, like what Josh said, "Another Panarin" type player...or TWO!

Agree. Not a great move here.

never liked this contract but in reality it is only 1 bad year. could very well have been 3 or 4.

I wouldn't even say he's had a bad year.

I see it as three or four average years. His elite bubble burst for me after the unceremonious 1st round exit vs. Pitssburgh.

What about unconditional waivers for purposes of contract termination. These circumvent the cap, correct? That's his option if he doesnt want to be a back up

They cant just terminate his contract. He has to stop showing up to practices and such for the team to be able to terminate his contract. Plus what incentive does he have to lose out on $6M at the twilight if his career?

What about unconditional waivers for purposes of contract termination. These circumvent the cap, correct? That's his option if he doesnt want to be a back up

He won't be okay losing millions to do the Rangers a solid. Broaching him with that scenario is far worse than a buyout.

He won't be okay losing millions to do the Rangers a solid. Broaching him with that scenario is far worse than a buyout.

$1m signing bonus on July 1. After that, he's 4.5m for the rest of the season. It might be worth it to his pride to try to get a chance to be a starter elsewhere. If he sits on the bench, his career is over, he wont be able to get a starting job elsewhere in 2022. NOW, he might have a chance to rejuvenate his career else where, for 2, 3 seasons, maybe.