• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Best states/cities/towns to live

jsm7302

We are so open at this point. I appreciate all of the points of view. Definitely like 4 seasons, would like to be near mountains and ocean/large lake. Preferably within an hour of a major city. The CO suggestion sounds pretty good. Texas, Colorado and North/South Carolina seem to all keep coming up. Lower income and property taxes are definitely on the list. A slower pace of life than NJ, maybe a little more purple than the red area of the state I currently live.

Wife and my familys have lived in northwest NJ for generations. I'm a cop out here with an associates degree so going elsewhere may be tough especially with the time I have in already with a guaranteed state pension. Been kicking around moving to the private sector but my lack of a 4 year+ degree seems to be a hindrance although my experience and training is geared heavy towards nvestigations which I feel could help.

Thanks again for the suggestions. This is a 2/3 year plan with us starting to visit places this year. Going to Maine in August but I think the intense winters will rule that out pretty quickly.

Austin PD pays very well and are dying for help. Don’t know how deep you are in, but you have to do 24 (if I recall correctly) for an 80% pension. Dept is run very well, much better than the NYPD.

Fort Collins, Colorado. Hour north of Denver, foothills of the Rockies, college town (Colorado State). Lots of restaurants/bars to support the town, great hiking and other outdoor activities. Generally I like college towns (not to close to campus) because you tend to get the museums/arts, lots of restaurant choices. Affordable.

My biases are I like to live with a hour or less drive to the beach or mountains. I also like places with seasons - I lived 3 years near Phoenix, 300+ days of sun, but no winter.

For the wealthy, Port Angeles, Washington. 2.5 hours west of Seattle on coast on Olympic peninsula, real estate is crazy expensive. Olympic mountains and great hiking to south, Pacific Ocean to north. Ferry ride to Canada. Northern California coast and Oregon coast are gorgeous as well - and the beaches aren't as crowded as the east because there are so many more public beaches on West Coast, but also really expensive.

I would give a lot of thought to what kind of weather/seasons you like best, as well as your political inclinations (do you want to live in a red state, blue state, or purple state). If you want a break from winters, go some place warmer. If you hate really hot summers, avoid the Sunbelt.

When i mentioned Colorado, i was specifically thinking of Ft Collins. Was just there last winter with my son while touring colleges. CSU ended up number 2, was really hoping he would have selected.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

When i mentioned Colorado, i was specifically thinking of Ft Collins. Was just there last winter with my son while touring colleges. CSU ended up number 2, was really hoping he would have selected.

Colorado State is a good school, hope your son ended up some place that is working for him.

I lived in a small town in northern Colorado for 2 years, and loved going to Fort Collins and Denver. In Colorado at least you can generally find cheaper housing as you move away from city/town centers. People who work in Denver can choose how far away they want for the commute and find something in their price range. Out by the Denver airport a lot of new housing is going up, far enough away from downtown that it's reasonable.

Colorado State is a good school, hope your son ended up some place that is working for him.

I lived in a small town in northern Colorado for 2 years, and loved going to Fort Collins and Denver. In Colorado at least you can generally find cheaper housing as you move away from city/town centers. People who work in Denver can choose how far away they want for the commute and find something in their price range. Out by the Denver airport a lot of new housing is going up, far enough away from downtown that it's reasonable.

I attended CSU back in late 80?s, early 90?s

WSU was his other favorite school, and ended up offering a heavier scholarship.

So far so good, but not much for me to do there when i visit compared to Ft Collins

I moved to Charlotte from NJ to go to college ages ago. The city is so much bigger than it was when I moved here in 92, I got hooked on the weather, the job market, and the pace of life. I'd have to get paid a truck load of money to move back to the Tri State area- I love to visit and all that it has to offer, but I can't imagine being there 365 days a year.

Charlotte is dope to visit. Might be a little too slow for us to live there.

We love having a house down there about 45 outside the city in Denver. Most of the 4-5 cities around Lake Norman are built up now especially over the last ten years or so, the infrastructure now in place to get into charlotte much more directly. The west side of the lake is especially grown in that regard. The lake itself has over 500 miles of waterfront properties. Granted it still is much slower (could also call it kinder) than the tri-state area and the taxes etc. are a fraction of things here.