• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Locking Up Tony DeAngelo is Far From No-Brainer

Phil

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of sounding like a broken record: Trade two established players, Stepan and Raanta, and get a prospect in return. Prospect pans out! Get rid of him. Isn't that spinning your wheels?

This.

We hoped we would get the ADA we got now. One of the league?s best offensive D?s and PPQB?s, who is not terrible in his own end and now we want to trade him?

At this moment we have ONE established NHL defender (not including Staal and Smith since they?re out after next season and both suck) in Trouba. Fox is looking like a stud and Lindgren is looking like a solid bottom 4 guy (but neither played a full season yet), but after that we have nothing besides prospects.

Fox doesnt need a contract before 2022. If he and Trouba is a our clear #1 and #2 RHD and ADA has shown he cant play on the left side by then, you trade him. He will be easy to trade if that is needed.

I like Trouba, love Fox and is really high on Lundkvist, but I still want ADA signed. He has proven himself enough this season and he has a really good chemistry with our two stars Mika and Panarin. One of ADA, Fox, Trouba or Lundkvist should be able the left side, so with them and Lindgren we have 5/6 spots taken and all of them under 27 y/old. Sign a vet to play 3rd pair LD and we?re good to go.

I really don't know what is to like about Trouba. He's actually been pretty terrible. Makes $8 mil a year and had 27 points in 70 games and was -12, which is 17 worse than any other defenseman on the team. He's a joke at this point and I don't see why we need him with what else we already have. If any team is interested I'd pull the trigger, but I'm pretty sure the Rangers won't.

In terms of a hockey world, you can make a case that this ending of the season helps the Rangers in keeping ADA for the next 3-4 years in a tad bit team friendly way contract wise. If he was sniffing closer to 70 points .......

I suppose you could make the argument the other way too but a guy making under 1m this year might take 5.5m for 3-4 years more so than if the full season played out. As I’ve said before, u lose ADA and you lose a lot offensively even from other guys. He’s a threat other teams can’t ignore. Has to stay.

• Like 1

The thing that would complicate this is how much he’s looking for in money and term. While I’m not in love with the fact that he needs his minutes sheltered somewhat and how he’s going to play less than Trouba and Fox if they all stay on the right side, end of the day he’s still a R that produces big time offense and is excellent at running a PP.

He was pacing for above 60 points.

D that produce numbers like that don’t grow on trees.

If it’s doable, a 4 or 5 year deal worth in the $20-30 million range isn’t Unreasonable. And trade protection shouldn’t be a concern. Finding a partner for a potential trade in the future if they are pressed to move him should not be an issue.

The kid has surely earned a raise and the opportunity to be a part of this team moving forward. He’s played himself into the core of not at least close to it. It doesn’t mean they have to rule out dealing him down the road if a deal comes along that makes them better.

And they shouldn’t worry about the fact that there are many young D coming. ADA is an NHL D. The prospects are not as of yet. Cross that bridge when you come to it.

If they can’t come to terms on a long term deal, or they don’t want to pay him off of 1 big season (which is reasonable) then you look at a bridge deal.

I really don't know what is to like about Trouba. He's actually been pretty terrible. Makes $8 mil a year and had 27 points in 70 games and was -12, which is 17 worse than any other defenseman on the team. He's a joke at this point and I don't see why we need him with what else we already have. If any team is interested I'd pull the trigger, but I'm pretty sure the Rangers won't.

Trouba plays 22+ minutes a might against the the other teams top players, while starting 54.8% of his shifts in the DZ. He is tasked with handling all of the tough defensive assignments so that ADA and Fox can be deployed in highly favorable offensive situations. Trouba's points and +/- aren't an issue. If Trouba isn't there who takes those match ups? Fox (55%OZ starts) and ADA (56.3% OZ starts) numbers would look a lot different if they are being asked to play against the other team's top line every night.

ADA seems like the kind of guy who's going to go after every last dollar. He showed his aggressiveness last year holding out when he had zero leverage. Didn't work in his favor then, I think when he does have some leverage he will be even more contentious.

ADA seems like the kind of guy who's going to go after every last dollar. He showed his aggressiveness last year holding out when he had zero leverage. Didn't work in his favor then, I think we he does have some leverage he will be even more contentious.

That’s my fear as well, which is why I think it ends up as a bridge deal.

Trouba plays 22+ minutes a might against the the other teams top players, while starting 54.8% of his shifts in the DZ. He is tasked with handling all of the tough defensive assignments so that ADA and Fox can be deployed in highly favorable offensive situations. Trouba's points and +/- aren't an issue. If Trouba isn't there who takes those match ups? Fox (55%OZ starts) and ADA (56.3% OZ starts) numbers would look a lot different if they are being asked to play against the other team's top line every night.

That's fine, but what kind of $8 mil defenseman doesn't even play the power play? The whole thing was a mistake in hindsight and they still have a chance to fix it before the no trade starts.

That's fine, but what kind of $8 mil defenseman doesn't even play the power play? The whole thing was a mistake in hindsight and they still have a chance to fix it before the no trade starts.

He does play the PP, but he has arguably the league?s best PPQB on his team so its not so easy to get a spot on the PP1.

He has 2nd most PK TOI (Fox and ADA has almost nothing), hardest zone starts, hardest matchups and plays the most. Fox and ADA would have a lot worse seasons if we didnt have Trouba to make life easier for them.

If he?s worth 8m down the road, I dont know. But you cant shit on him for his point total and +/- rating from this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

What does Panarin have to do with Trouba?

He does play the PP, but he has arguably the league?s best PPQB on his team so its not so easy to get a spot on the PP1.

He has 2nd most PK TOI (Fox and ADA has almost nothing), hardest zone starts, hardest matchups and plays the most. Fox and ADA would have a lot worse seasons if we didnt have Trouba to make life easier for them.

If he?s worth 8m down the road, I dont know. But you cant shit on him for his point total and +/- rating from this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

There was appoint in the year where Trouba had similar metrics to Skjei. Box car stats and underlying stats.

People hated one guy and loved the other guy because every now and then he'd throw a big hit.

Trouba is not anywhere near worth $8 million right now.

I have grown to like ADA, and would love him on the team in the future, but I don't see him here for the long run, especially with guys ready to step in soon. Id like to see him moved to the other side next year and see if he can still produce at the same level. Give him a 2 year bridge deal, and see how he does. If he can still produce playing the opposite side, then sign him long term.

I wouldnt mind a longer term deal but no “no movement clauses “. I still think he should be moved for a top 6 forward, preferably a center

If he gets a long-term deal, then he will almost certainly get some form of trade protection.

But that’s not a huge issue, IMO. As of right now and what he’s been doing this season, he would not be a hard guy to move even if he has protection.

There’s really no shortage of options with him. Anyway it goes is fine for right now. There’s reasons for doing any of the viable options. All are justifiable.

Moving him for a top-6 forward of comparable age is fine.

A long-term deal at the right price is fine.

A bridge deal, though not ideal, is fine.

If he gets a long-term deal, then he will almost certainly get some form of trade protection.

But that’s not a huge issue, IMO. As of right now and what he’s been doing this season, he would not be a hard guy to move even if he has protection.

There’s really no shortage of options with him. Anyway it goes is fine for right now. There’s reasons for doing any of the viable options. All are justifiable.

Moving him for a top-6 forward of comparable age is fine.

A long-term deal at the right price is fine.

A bridge deal, though not ideal, is fine.

I wonder if he can get a bonafide 2nd line center?

I wonder if he can get a bonafide 2nd line center?

He’s certainly capable of bringing back a top-6 winger. C’s are a little harder to get. I think it’s possible they could with the right partner. Hypothetically, if they couldn’t do it straight up, they add an extra piece, like a prospect and that could get it done, which I’d have no issue with.

Whether or not Strome is a true 2C is probably still somewhat of a debate. Like to see him do it for a bit more time and get a little better defensively, but the production is right there.