• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Locking Up Tony DeAngelo is Far From No-Brainer

Phil

Their chemistry is undeniable.

It’s real chemistry too. Not simply a case of a great player elevating another.

Don't know that I agree with that. If we were assigning percentages, I would say it is 90% Panarin rather than some perceived chemistry. Panarin has clearly elevated him. Credit to Strome for being elevatable.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their chemistry is undeniable.

It?s real chemistry too. Not simply a case of a great player elevating another.

Accurate.

If everyone was riding Panarin, Fast would have scored above his career average. He did not.

Accurate.

If everyone was riding Panarin, Fast would have scored above his career average. He did not.

As much as I wish this was a case, because it would mean Strome actually was better than being elevatable, it is inaccurate. Strome was fortunate enough to play on the PP. Even strength is not as large of a gap as one might expect:

Strome 11 goals 36 points

Fast 10 goals 26 points

A 10 point gap when you're stacking him up against Fast is meh. To Strome's credit, the 10 point gap was largely primary assists (8 more). To Strome's discredit, it's easier to pile up assists as a center especially with Panarin on your left, and 1 more goal than Fast is completely unacceptable. We all know Strome is not a goal scorer. Get that line a goal scorer...Gauthier?

People have been trying to say that Strome is not as good as he is since he got here.

And all he does is put up appropriate point levels in whatever role you put him in...When he's on the third line he puts up third line points...when he's on the first line...He puts up first line points.

Now he's being penalized for being good enough to be on the PP, too.

Sigh.

Fans have been trying to plug holes in this team that didn't exist since Jagr and Nylander.

Second line center is not a problem. Trade ADA? Fine... But trade him to address a legitimate issue. Not a fan perceived issue.

If Fast deserved PP time he would get it. Strome gets it because he produces there. He's a good player that does a good job on the PP. Can you picture Fast playing the PP and putting up points? Even with Panarin, Fast doesn't belong there. You can watch Strome and see his skill. Strome is just good. He's 26 years old, he was a 5th overall pick and he put up a 50 point season when he was 21. There were bumps along the way, but it's not some stretch to believe he's a 2nd line center.
  • Like 1

Center is not a problem anymore. We have Zibanejad, Strome, chytil, Howden (+Andersson, Henriksson, Barron), all young and looking good for the role they most likely will play. Strome is playing well, if it is because of Panarin and PP time doesnt matter, it works, so just keep it like that.

If they trade ADA it will be for a top 6 winger or a top 4 LHD. We just need a better 2nd line RW (hopefully Kakko or Kravtsov will take that spot as soon as next season) and then we?re kinda good to go as soon we get rid of the shit contracts and fix the left side of the D.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Don't know that I agree with that. If we were assigning percentages, I would say it is 90% Panarin rather than some perceived chemistry. Panarin has clearly elevated him. Credit to Strome for being elevatable.

Not sure about that. Panarin has a huge hand in Strome’s production. I think the whole line is riding Panarin’s back

As much as I wish this was a case, because it would mean Strome actually was better than being elevatable, it is inaccurate. Strome was fortunate enough to play on the PP. Even strength is not as large of a gap as one might expect:

Strome 11 goals 36 points

Fast 10 goals 26 points

A 10 point gap when you're stacking him up against Fast is meh. To Strome's credit, the 10 point gap was largely primary assists (8 more). To Strome's discredit, it's easier to pile up assists as a center especially with Panarin on your left, and 1 more goal than Fast is completely unacceptable. We all know Strome is not a goal scorer. Get that line a goal scorer...Gauthier?

Fair. Panarin is an elite player, so it’s always going to be his feet that it falls at more than another.

And two players working well together and who is responsible for how much of their shared success is a hard thing to quantify accurately.

But... Panarin has had his best offensive year, ever, and doing so playing with Strome. Career highs in all categories.

With Strome.

He’s previously played with Patrick Kane. Full-time.

Saw consistent and heavy PP time with Kane, Toews, and Keith.

Yet he has this level of success with Strome.

So... yeah.

And stats aside.

Watch them play. It’s plainly seen.

Don’t sell Strome so short.

He was not picked 5th overall in his draft year for no reason. We’ve seen him have success and find chemistry before when he had opportunities to play with Tavares.

Now he’s getting those opportunities to play with a top player, do so full-time, and get approaching 20 minutes a night to boot.

This is a very good offensive player.

He scored as many goals last season as this season playing 7 fewer games with no Panarin. 16 goals, 33 points in 63 games last season as a 2/3C. I wouldnt say thats bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

It's not. I think the point is he is a 2C when with Panarin, but otherwise not. Does it matter? I don't know. What if the line goes cold? Assuming Strome gets a good pay bump next year and probably with some kind of term. 4 or 5 years even though I wouldn't do that. Now you're stuck paying too much for too long for a guy in the bottom 6. Serviceable still? Sure. But Brendan Smith has been serviceable this year too.That's how you get into trouble capwise.

Strome fans want to pretend it's hate. It's just reality.

Reality is that last season without Panarin here, Strome put up 18 goals and 33 points in 63 games for us while only getting 1:17 of PP time per game and only 7 points on the PP. This season he has gotten 2:57 per game on the PP and has 17 points on the PP. His increase in points per game at even strength rose from .41 to .6, while his ppg on the PP went up almost 150% from .1 to .24 per game.

Then consider that his even strength time of ice per game also went from 13.40 last year to 14:24 this year and you can account for some of his increased scoring there. In fact, last season Ryan Strome played 1,001 minutes for the Rangers and scored .0329 points per minute. This year he has scored .0430 per minute. If you extrapolate those totals to a full season with the same time of ice, say 19 mins per game(close to his avg for this season) over 82 games, you get a 15 point increase from last season to this one. 52 points to 67.

Based on ice time, 5 of those additional points can be attributed to increased power play time because that ice time is valued higher and creates higher likelihood to score. The other 10 points can be attributed to playing at even strength with Panarin rather than with the 3rd liners he played with last season. Sounds about right to me. How many points does Panarin have from playing with Strome, since he is also having the best season of his life? The two of them are good together because they are both good and Strome is a second line center. He was one last season as well, he just wasn't getting the ice team and didn't have the linemates.

The point we're getting at here is when you trade ADA, it shouldn't be for a second line center. Second line center is not the problem.

Middle six wingers and left defense is the problem. Moving Chytil to wing would help, then you need a 3 C.

We need to stop trying to upgrade positions that don't need an upgrade, just be happy with what you have there.

You don't trade ADA to preemptively fill a hole that doesn't exist today but might exist tomorrow.

The point we're getting at here is when you trade ADA, it shouldn't be for a second line center. Second line center is not the problem.

Middle six wingers and left defense is the problem. Moving Chytil to wing would help, then you need a 3 C.

We need to stop trying to upgrade positions that don't need an upgrade, just be happy with what you have there.

You don't trade ADA to preemptively fill a hole that doesn't exist today but might exist tomorrow.

I agree with this.

However, if they move ADA in a “hockey trade” you get the best deal that you can and bring back the best and most fitting return you can.

If it happens to be a C, so be it.

But I agree that there are bigger needs, namely the ones you mentioned.

Im not sold on Strome as a 2C but its only my opinion. Same as im not sold on ADA as a needed piece for the Rangers long term. I’d trade him for any young top 6 , if not center. I wonder what ADA could fetch

You not being sold is still fair.

Reality is that despite the production, we’ve only seen 1 real season of it. While I don’t believe it’s due to Panarin, if people feel that way, it’s reasonable.

Wanting to see more before you officially give him that label isn’t a reach to me.

I just happen to be more sold because of what he’s shown production wise and the chemistry I see with Panarin is plainly seen.

That and the season he had with the Islanders as a 20/21 year old.

Put up 50 points. Moving back and forth from wing to C. Not much I’ve time and moved up and down the lineup a lot.

The player he’s been and production he’s shown this season is in fact the player he was projected to actually be. I’m just of the belief that he’s grown and got in a place where he’s comfortable and fits and sees his role and he’s become what he’s supposed to be.

You not being sold is still fair.

Reality is that despite the production, we?ve only seen 1 real season of it. While I don?t believe it?s due to Panarin, if people feel that way, it?s reasonable.

Wanting to see more before you officially give him that label isn?t a reach to me.

I just happen to be more sold because of what he?s shown production wise and the chemistry I see with Panarin is plainly seen.

That and the season he had with the Islanders as a 20/21 year old.

Put up 50 points. Moving back and forth from wing to C. Not much I?ve time and moved up and down the lineup a lot.

The player he?s been and production he?s shown this season is in fact the player he was projected to actually be. I?m just of the belief that he?s grown and got in a place where he?s comfortable and fits and sees his role and he?s become what he?s supposed to be.

Some of it is definitely Panarin, but the point is not everyone can play with Panarin.

The number for Strom should be 5 million. It's a pretty significant raise from where he is now, and if he becomes a third line center putting up 40 to 50 points, he's not overpaid.

He's bounced around a lot, if he's smart he'll know that he's found a home. every interview I've heard with him, the guy just wants to play. He was almost out of the league when he got here. I don't think he's the type to get greedy.

In terms of a hockey world, you can make a case that this ending of the season helps the Rangers in keeping ADA for the next 3-4 years in a tad bit team friendly way contract wise. If he was sniffing closer to 70 points .......

I suppose you could make the argument the other way too but a guy making under 1m this year might take 5.5m for 3-4 years more so than if the full season played out. As I?ve said before, u lose ADA and you lose a lot offensively even from other guys. He?s a threat other teams can?t ignore. Has to stay.

Exactly. I can't see a jump from almost league minimum to UFA market prices. 4.5 for 3 years is likely the range that you can get him in.

The kid is a major part of this team's offense. Putting him on the left side isn't going to be a problem. This kid is only going to get better. I don't understand how people can worry about guys that are in the pipeline and are 2-3 years away IF they pan out. Putting the cart before the horse isn't what you do right now.

I think I like the idea of DeAngelo on the left of Trouba. It pushes Trouba into a defensive role, yet it could also be a move that bumps up Trouba production by being on the ice with what will be the team's best offensive players most of the time. If he's out there with, DeAngelo, Panarin, Strome, Zib, Kreider, Buch, he's bound to put up bigger numbers.

If anything I deal a prospect for an established RW to pair up with Panarin.Sadly, It's not looking like Kakko is getting that spot anytime soon.

Then again maybe they can shift Chytil or Strome to RW and try that out. They definitely need some help at forward. Namely bottom 2 centers and wings galore. Sorry for going off track.