• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Must Resist K?Andre Miller, Nils Lundkvist Temptation

Phil

K?Andre Miller is under contract, Nils Lundkvist should sign at some point during this undefined offseason, and so both youngsters representing the forefront of the next wave of Rangers defensemen are expected to be at training camp preceding the 2020-21 season.

That is of course welcome news for the Blueshirts, who drafted the left-handed Miller 22nd overall in 2018, six slots ahead of where the right-handed Lundkvist was selected. Who knows? At some point, and maybe not all that far off in the future, they will become a matched set, ala Adam Fox and Ryan Lindgren.

But not next year, at least not on Broadway, and no one should anticipate or even hope otherwise. Because the worst thing management could do would be to heighten expectations and then rush either or both of these young men into the NHL. They?re going to need time, both of them, and they should get that time in Hartford with the Wolf Pack.

In fact, once 2020-21 training camp concludes, the Rangers should pretend Miler, who turned 20 in January, is actually still at the University of Wisconsin, where he encountered a few potholes as a sophomore. They should pretend Lundkvist, who will turn 20 in July, is still plying his trade overseas in Sweden, where he had a big-time, step-up year for Lulea in which he eclipsed teenaged totals previously posted by the likes of Erik Karlsson.

It is important for the Rangers to get their organizational jewels into the organization, more so since the AHL operation under GM Chris Drury and coach Kris Knoblauch has become a genuine development program. It is important for the 6-foot-5 Miller, more of a stay-at-homer, to learn the pro game. It is important for the 5-10 Lundkvist, a slick driver of offense, to learn the North American game.

Everyone is flying blind here. Personnel decisions will of course be dramatically affected by the cap and the cap may be dramatically affected by this interruption, and hypothetical cancelation, of the 2019-20 season. The cap number may remain stagnant. Amnesty buyouts might become part of the picture.

Regardless, the Rangers should not and must not rush Miller and Lundkvist, even if they have terrific camps and there is some external pressure to bring them to Broadway. They will need time. Management must be wise enough and resolute to give it to them.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/21/rangers-must-resist-kandre-miller-nils-lundkvist-temptation/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

Considering them the same player is close minded and a mistake. They are two separate players and people. Miller probably needs time in Hartford. Lundqvist is likely much closer to ready and could carve himself out a spot if he impresses in camp. He'll be 20 in training camp, they both will. Look what Fox has done this year at 21. Miller had an off year in some aspects, Lundqvist just had the most dominant year for a player his age in the history of his league, a mens league. Other players have successfully jumped to the NHL after lesser years at younger ages from the same league. He's a first round pick, not some 4th rounder who surprised with a good year. He has the pedigree. To say this stuff before they even get to camp, 6 months before camp starts is just stupid. Nobody knows what's going to happen. Stupid article honestly, but I guess there's no much to write about.

The Rangers top European scout seems to disagree with Larry Brooks.

https://www.lohud.com/sports/

“He is on the right track (as) his game gains complexity,” Gajdosik said. “I am sure he will be pushing hard for the spot in the New York Rangers’ lineup in the next season. He is ready to fight for the spot with the big team.”

Brooks isn't treating them like the same player. He's giving different reasons as to why they will need AHL time.

And sorry but every time somebody on this board says a European player doesn't need to play in the AHL, that player needs to play in the AHL. Even if it's for half a season.

After the Kakko experience this year, I'd certainly err towards Hartford. It's not unusual for very young players to really shine in camp and win a spot on the roster but then quickly prove not-NHL ready. Chytl and Howden, for example.

After the Kakko experience this year, I'd certainly err towards Hartford. It's not unusual for very young players to really shine in camp and win a spot on the roster but then quickly prove not-NHL ready. Chytl and Howden, for example.

Kakko is Kakko. Miller is Miller. Lundkvist is Lundkvist. Fox is Fox.

Every player is different. One player's path shouldn't dictate the path of another.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

From the Athletic

https://theathletic.com/1680960/2020/03/21/wheelers-2020-nhl-prospect-awards-alexis-lafreniere-leads-the-way/

D Nils Lundkvist: SHL (Lule? HF/New York Rangers)*

Lundkvist didn’t just have the best year of any D prospect, he had one of the better years by any player outside the NHL. He’s in a completely different echelon as a prospect today than he did a year ago at this time. His 31 points in 45 games shattered the SHL’s under-20 D scoring record set by Tim Erixon (and Victor Hedman before him). His 42 points 57 games across all competition (he posted 11 points in 12 Champions Hockey League games) combined to lead Lule? in scoring. Wedged in between, he helped Sweden to a bronze medal at the world juniors with eight points in seven games, good for third in the tournament in points by a defenceman. He averaged more than 20 minutes a night as a teenaged defenceman on the best team in the world’s third-best pro league. And he got better as the season progressed, scoring in each of his last four games. All four were from the exact same spot, with half wind-ups, as he begins to get more aggressive and attack off the offensive zone blue line:

You always find a way to look at it a negative way.

I think a lot of you guys will be suprised by Lundkvist next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Maybe. Hope so.

That said, people like YOU always blow a lot of smoke about how good these European prospects are... And then Kakko.

Maybe you should focus your attention on the prospects you're touting and not on me? K thx.

Well, no prospect should be rushed. If they're not ready, they should play with the Wolfpack until they are. Duh.

I think it's overwhelmingly likely both will need time in the AHL, for different reasons, like Larry says. But it doesn't make a lot of sense to categorically state they should be in the AHL regardless of performance 6 months before the fact. If Lundkvist is clearly one of the 6 best defensemen throughout camp then that's what he is. Even if it's unlikely, let's cross that bridge when we get there and not in March whilst under corona lockdown.

Although I appreciate the need to fill column inches.

Well, if he broke a Tim Erixon record, that changes everything.

It's actually important to temper expectations based on production in European leagues. There are a lot of reasons why performance on European rinks, in the European style of hockey, doesn't always translate to the NHL. Or even the AHL in some cases. Of course, there are more examples of guys dominating over there working out. But it certainly isn't guaranteed, even as good as Lundkvist has been this year.

After the last 6 months of hockey I have no problem saying Lundkvist is a better defender than Staal and Smith already, maybe even Lindgren. The problem is that our 3 best D?s are righties and the same are our best D prospect.

Give him some time in the AHL to get used to NA hockey and everything.

With that said, he was drafted in 2018 and has already played almost 3 full seasons in the world?s 3/4th best league against men. The last season he was totally dominating on the best team in the country, both in the SHL and CHL (and WJC). Still only 19 (which is crazy), but he?s got two more full seasons of playing against men then what Kakko had.

Hedman had 7 goals, 21 points in 43 games, he came over and played 74 NHL games the season after.

Dahlin had 7 goals, 20 points in 41 games, he came over and played 82 games (40 points) in the NHL.

Both of them had fewer games in the SHL and a worse last season in the SHL than Lundkvist. Yes I know Dahlin was 17, but the point is that making the move over isnt impossible. I dont think people realise how good of a season Lundkvist has had since you discredit everything happening in Europe.

Lundkvist dominated a mens league, meanwhile Miller had a bad season against college kids and some people still rate them the same.

After the last 6 months of hockey I have no problem saying Lundkvist is a better defender than Staal and Smith already, maybe even Lindgren. The problem is that our 3 best D’s are righties and the same are our best D prospect.

Give him some time in the AHL to get used to NA hockey and everything.

With that said, he was drafted in 2018 and has already played almost 3 full seasons in the world’s 3/4th best league against men. The last season he was totally dominating on the best team in the country, both in the SHL and CHL (and WJC). Still only 19 (which is crazy), but he’s got two more full seasons of playing against men then what Kakko had.

Hedman had 7 goals, 21 points in 43 games, he came over and played 74 NHL games the season after.

Dahlin had 7 goals, 20 points in 41 games, he came over and played 82 games (40 points) in the NHL.

Both of them had fewer games in the SHL and a worse last season in the SHL than Lundkvist. Yes I know Dahlin was 17, but the point is that making the move over isnt impossible. I dont think people realise how good of a season Lundkvist has had since you discredit everything happening in Europe.

Lundkvist dominated a mens league, meanwhile Miller had a bad season against college kids and some people still rate them the same.

His size/strength will be an issue in the nhl, especially in his first few seasons.

As for his stats in the SHL - he’s also a year or 2 older than the top young nhl prospects.

Just putting in perspective, not crapping on the kid. Like his game, still think he’s a bit away from being an nhl regular. No rush

His size/strength will be an issue in the nhl, especially in his first few seasons.

As for his stats in the SHL - he’s also a year or 2 older than the top young nhl prospects.

Just putting in perspective, not crapping on the kid. Like his game, still think he’s a bit away from being an nhl regular. No rush

His stats in the SHL were being compared to players his age in the whole history of the league. Not top prospects from this season.

I dont think people realise how good of a season Lundkvist has had since you discredit everything happening in Europe.

I'm absolutely not discrediting everything happening in Europe.

I'm merely saying there are many examples of players dominating in other leagues whose skill sets doesn't translate to the NHL. Hell, there are many examples of guys who are excellent AHL players who can't make the jump.

That's not an attempt to shit on him, it's just saying that the fact his been dominating the SHL doesn't necessarily mean he won't need time to adjust.

I think we agree in the main though. It makes little sense to assign him to Hartford now. If he earns a spot he earns a spot.