• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Must Resist K?Andre Miller, Nils Lundkvist Temptation

Phil

His stats in the SHL were being compared to players his age in the whole history of the league. Not top prospects from this season.

He's playing in his D+2 season. Guys like Hedman, Dahlin came over at 18. Karlsson came over after 1 more season in the SHL.

Most of the stats you see list at "20 or 21 year olds", giving him 2 additional seasons/years to outproduce top prospects that came over. (Granted, I did make lots of comments about him outproducing Erik Karlsson last season). Great season, but need to put it in perspective. I'm still high on the kid, but he's still got a lot of work to do to becoming a productive NHL player.

He's playing in his D+2 season. Guys like Hedman, Dahlin came over at 18. Karlsson came over after 1 more season in the SHL.

Most of the stats you see list at "20 or 21 year olds", giving him 2 additional seasons/years to outproduce top prospects that came over. (Granted, I did make lots of comments about him outproducing Erik Karlsson last season). Great season, but need to put it in perspective. I'm still high on the kid, but he's still got a lot of work to do to becoming a productive NHL player.

I know that. I posted those stats just to prove that young defenders have gone from a good season in the SHL to be solid/productive in the NHL right away.

And Lundkvist had just turned 18 when he got drafted. He's finished his 3rd pro season and is still only 19 years old.

I'm confused. He's 19 and it's his stats from this one season we are talking about. He had the best year in the history of the league that any player that age has ever had. Yes Hedman was younger during his last season, but also scored four less goals and 10 less points, which is a huge difference when talking about a 45 game season. It's like a 20 point difference in the NHL I guess.

I'm confused. He's 19 and it's his stats from this one season we are talking about. He had the best year in the history of the league that any player that age has ever had. Yes Hedman was younger during his last season, but also scored four less goals and 10 less points, which is a huge difference when talking about a 45 game season. It's like a 20 point difference in the NHL I guess.

The point is players like Dahlin, Hedman, Karlsson never played in the SHL as 19 year olds. You have to judge the stats relative to age. If you're going to compare him to Hedman you have to compare their 18 yo seasons when Lundkvist had 3 goals and 10 points.

Dahlin had 7g, 13a, and 20 points as a 17 year old. Had he played in the SHL at 18 and 19 he likely would have set a u20 defense-man point record well over a ppg.

The point is players like Dahlin, Hedman, Karlsson never played in the SHL as 19 year olds. You have to judge the stats relative to age. If you're going to compare him to Hedman you have to compare their 18 yo seasons when Lundkvist had 3 goals and 10 points.

Dahlin had 7g, 13a, and 20 points as a 17 year old. Had he played in the SHL at 18 and 19 he likely would have set a u20 defense-man point record well over a ppg.

Oh okay, I wasn't comparing him to those players ever until Hedman was brought up. I was comparing him to other 19 year olds in the history of the league. I don't know other players that that includes. Sami Vatanen maybe?

Oh okay, I wasn't comparing him to those players ever until Hedman was brought up. I was comparing him to other 19 year olds in the history of the league. I don't know other players that that includes. Sami Vatanen maybe?

That's the other half of the point. Most of the elite prospects leave before they get to 19, so breaking the record for u20 points is great, but there's a few asterisks there.