Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rangers Must Resist K’Andre Miller, Nils Lundkvist Temptation

Senior Member Bantam Division
    i think they both should star the season in AHL ,if Lundkvist dominates AHL ,no problem call him up

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty9 View Post
    i think they both should star the season in AHL ,if Lundkvist dominates AHL ,no problem call him up
    Hartford has been horrible for foreign born players. He should stay overseas in such case.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    After the last 6 months of hockey I have no problem saying Lundkvist is a better defender than Staal and Smith already, maybe even Lindgren. The problem is that our 3 best D’s are righties and the same are our best D prospect.

Give him some time in the AHL to get used to NA hockey and everything.

With that said, he was drafted in 2018 and has already played almost 3 full seasons in the world’s 3/4th best league against men. The last season he was totally dominating on the best team in the country, both in the SHL and CHL (and WJC). Still only 19 (which is crazy), but he’s got two more full seasons of playing against men then what Kakko had.

Hedman had 7 goals, 21 points in 43 games, he came over and played 74 NHL games the season after.

Dahlin had 7 goals, 20 points in 41 games, he came over and played 82 games (40 points) in the NHL.

Both of them had fewer games in the SHL and a worse last season in the SHL than Lundkvist. Yes I know Dahlin was 17, but the point is that making the move over isnt impossible. I dont think people realise how good of a season Lundkvist has had since you discredit everything happening in Europe.

Lundkvist dominated a mens league, meanwhile Miller had a bad season against college kids and some people still rate them the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    His size/strength will be an issue in the nhl, especially in his first few seasons.

As for his stats in the SHL - he’s also a year or 2 older than the top young nhl prospects.

Just putting in perspective, not crapping on the kid. Like his game, still think he’s a bit away from being an nhl regular. No rush

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    His size/strength will be an issue in the nhl, especially in his first few seasons.

As for his stats in the SHL - he’s also a year or 2 older than the top young nhl prospects.

Just putting in perspective, not crapping on the kid. Like his game, still think he’s a bit away from being an nhl regular. No rush
    His stats in the SHL were being compared to players his age in the whole history of the league. Not top prospects from this season.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    I dont think people realise how good of a season Lundkvist has had since you discredit everything happening in Europe.
    I'm absolutely not discrediting everything happening in Europe.
    I'm merely saying there are many examples of players dominating in other leagues whose skill sets doesn't translate to the NHL. Hell, there are many examples of guys who are excellent AHL players who can't make the jump.
    That's not an attempt to shit on him, it's just saying that the fact his been dominating the SHL doesn't necessarily mean he won't need time to adjust.

I think we agree in the main though. It makes little sense to assign him to Hartford now. If he earns a spot he earns a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    His stats in the SHL were being compared to players his age in the whole history of the league. Not top prospects from this season.
    He's playing in his D+2 season. Guys like Hedman, Dahlin came over at 18. Karlsson came over after 1 more season in the SHL.

Most of the stats you see list at "20 or 21 year olds", giving him 2 additional seasons/years to outproduce top prospects that came over. (Granted, I did make lots of comments about him outproducing Erik Karlsson last season). Great season, but need to put it in perspective. I'm still high on the kid, but he's still got a lot of work to do to becoming a productive NHL player.

Senior Member Midget Division
    He's playing in his D+2 season. Guys like Hedman, Dahlin came over at 18. Karlsson came over after 1 more season in the SHL.

Most of the stats you see list at "20 or 21 year olds", giving him 2 additional seasons/years to outproduce top prospects that came over. (Granted, I did make lots of comments about him outproducing Erik Karlsson last season). Great season, but need to put it in perspective. I'm still high on the kid, but he's still got a lot of work to do to becoming a productive NHL player.
    I know that. I posted those stats just to prove that young defenders have gone from a good season in the SHL to be solid/productive in the NHL right away.

And Lundkvist had just turned 18 when he got drafted. He's finished his 3rd pro season and is still only 19 years old.

I'm confused. He's 19 and it's his stats from this one season we are talking about. He had the best year in the history of the league that any player that age has ever had. Yes Hedman was younger during his last season, but also scored four less goals and 10 less points, which is a huge difference when talking about a 45 game season. It's like a 20 point difference in the NHL I guess.

Hedman was 17. A huge difference from 19. Not only in size and physical maturity, but also how they are used/played in European leagues.

I'm confused. He's 19 and it's his stats from this one season we are talking about. He had the best year in the history of the league that any player that age has ever had. Yes Hedman was younger during his last season, but also scored four less goals and 10 less points, which is a huge difference when talking about a 45 game season. It's like a 20 point difference in the NHL I guess.
    The point is players like Dahlin, Hedman, Karlsson never played in the SHL as 19 year olds. You have to judge the stats relative to age. If you're going to compare him to Hedman you have to compare their 18 yo seasons when Lundkvist had 3 goals and 10 points.

Dahlin had 7g, 13a, and 20 points as a 17 year old. Had he played in the SHL at 18 and 19 he likely would have set a u20 defense-man point record well over a ppg.

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    The point is players like Dahlin, Hedman, Karlsson never played in the SHL as 19 year olds. You have to judge the stats relative to age. If you're going to compare him to Hedman you have to compare their 18 yo seasons when Lundkvist had 3 goals and 10 points.

Dahlin had 7g, 13a, and 20 points as a 17 year old. Had he played in the SHL at 18 and 19 he likely would have set a u20 defense-man point record well over a ppg.
    Oh okay, I wasn't comparing him to those players ever until Hedman was brought up. I was comparing him to other 19 year olds in the history of the league. I don't know other players that that includes. Sami Vatanen maybe?

He's Finnish.

OEL put up 27 in 42 as an 18 year old.

Oh okay, I wasn't comparing him to those players ever until Hedman was brought up. I was comparing him to other 19 year olds in the history of the league. I don't know other players that that includes. Sami Vatanen maybe?
    That's the other half of the point. Most of the elite prospects leave before they get to 19, so breaking the record for u20 points is great, but there's a few asterisks there.

A-hee-ahee ha-hee BSBH Prospect
    OEL put up 27 in 42 as an 18 year old.
    There's a difference between Allsvenskan and the SHL. Allsvenskan is a lower league.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12