• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020 Draft Predictions

jsm7302

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/possible-rangers-2020-draft-targets/

Article spells it out....more or less, with little to talk about let's take a look at where the Rangers picks could end up and the most recent draft expectations. Thoughts?

I say first round should be best available forwards. Let's pick some D in the later rounds.

This kid specifically interests me:

16. (16) Hendrix Lapierre (5-11, 179), C, Chicoutimi (QMJHL) ? The left-shot forward has great hockey sense, compete and playmaking qualities. He was limited to 19 games because of an upper-body injury but may have the highest ceiling of any player projected to go in the first round.

Not followed the 2020 draft closely, but everyone keep saying its a really deep draft with a lot of forward talent. I hope both 1st rounders are used on forwards, other then that I dont care.

A guy not in the top 15 with the highest ceiling? Over Lafreniere and the others? Sounds weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

whoever wins the lottery may not need a center and would be willing to trade for a star offensive d-man. LaWatever is still an unproven commodity

Lafreniere is a left winger.

And nobody's trading out of that pick. The return required wouldn't make it worthwhile for the other team.

Lafreniere is a left winger.

And nobody's trading out of that pick. The return required wouldn't make it worthwhile for the other team.

not necessarily true. Lindros (1st overall highly touted) was traded out of Quebec and Quebec (Colorado) won the cup couple of years later. Lindros....well, we all know..played on a good line in Philly

and I thought he was listed as C?

not necessarily true. Lindros (1st overall highly touted) was traded out of Quebec and Quebec (Colorado) won the cup couple of years later. Lindros....well, we all know..played on a good line in Philly

and I thought he was listed as C?

Lindros was picked 1st OA by the Nordiques and refused to play for them. They traded him after he held out for a full year.

Lafreniere is definitely a LW. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/296697/alexis-lafreniere

Lindros was picked 1st OA by the Nordiques and refused to play for them. They traded him after he held out for a full year.

Lafreniere is definitely a LW. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/296697/alexis-lafreniere

My point was that sometimes it does work for the team trading first overall pick. Since Limdros never played before being traded, essentially he was like LaFreniere, a prospect. Very similar situations IMO

My point was that sometimes it does work for the team trading first overall pick. Since Limdros never played before being traded, essentially he was like LaFreniere, a prospect. Very similar situations IMO

It would be a similar situation if Lafreniere refuses to play for whoever picks him.

As of now, it's completely unthinkable that whoever ends up with the #1 oa would trade out of it. The Lindros example is completely irrelevant when discussing the likelihood of that happening.

For reference, this is what it cost to get Lindros after he held out for a full season:

The finalized trade had the Nordiques acquire Hextall, Duchesne, Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Peter Forsberg, a first-round pick in the 1993 NHL Entry Draft, $15 million, and future considerations

It's a different time, and Lindros was obviously a special player, but in the unlikely event someone would be willing to trade out of it the cost to acquire the 1st OA this year would be exorbitant and likely cripple whoever trades for it.

As for trading up, they could probably get into the top-10 with the right package, but it would be costly. Probably both 1sts plus another piece, likely a young NHL player with at least some control attached.

Highly unlikely anyone would trade them a top-5 pick. It would have to be a gross overpayment