Page 26 of 62 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 520 of 1227

Thread: The Trump Administration's Handling of the Coronavirus

  1. #501
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,048
    Rep Power
    381
    No, I'm dumb.

    You realize not everybody in the world is on salary, right?

  2. #502
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    80,875
    Rep Power
    632
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    No, I'm dumb.

    You realize not everybody in the world is on salary, right?
    Yea, I read your rant about those WFH elitists wanting to watch the world burn...Makes total sense. You're right. We need to make sure that people can earn a living wage so they have something to leave their families when they die, or so they can pay for their family's funerals when they pass the virus to loved ones.

    Like with most things, science isn't on your side.

  3. #503
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,048
    Rep Power
    381
    lol

    Enjoy your cushy salary and work from home accommodations, Pete.

  4. #504
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    80,875
    Rep Power
    632
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    lol

    Enjoy your cushy salary and work from home accommodations, Pete.
    This is your answer when you have no answer.

    You have no real point and nothing you're saying is supported by actual facts, so then we have to resort to personal attacks.

    Very Trump like. Very typical.

  5. #505
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,640
    Rep Power
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    They need to be relaxed after our two week period is over, yes.

    This isn't Ebola, I doubt it'll even kill at the rate the flu did a couple years ago once all cases are accounted for. The goal was to "flatten the curve" here, if that is accomplished then let's go back to work. Isolate the immuno compromised, the old, and the hypochondriacs can stay home.
    And what are your credentials again? Because pandemic specialists, doctors and scientists seem to disagree with your hunch.

    C'mon man, you can't still be touting the "it's just a flu" rhetoric... Even Trump is beyond that now.


    For anyone interested, Dr. Peter Attia has been posting very good videos on instagram almost every other day about what's going on here. It's a little dense at times but I think worth listening to.
    GORTON 2020

  6. #506
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,640
    Rep Power
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    lol

    Enjoy your cushy salary and work from home accommodations, Pete.
    I'm an hourly employee dude. I'm getting nothing right now and have not been working for two weeks. This isn't about haves and have-nots. This is about facts.
    GORTON 2020

  7. #507
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    80,875
    Rep Power
    632
    Back to facts... Germany has the lowest death rate.

    2 things they're doing that we're not? Mass testing and strict lockdown with financial ramifications.

    https://news.yahoo.com/germany-remar...083800843.html

  8. #508
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    18,703
    Rep Power
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    They need to be relaxed after our two week period is over, yes.

    This isn't Ebola, I doubt it'll even kill at the rate the flu did a couple years ago once all cases are accounted for. The goal was to "flatten the curve" here, if that is accomplished then let's go back to work. Isolate the immuno compromised, the old, and the hypochondriacs can stay home.
    It's actually not a good thing that this isn't ebola. Ebola is much deadlier, sure, but it's also significant less virulent and is not documented to spread through air.

    Sucks to engage in the juxtaposition, but if this were ebola, the outbreak would probably have ended in Wuhan.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  9. #509
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,048
    Rep Power
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Back to facts... Germany has the lowest death rate.

    2 things they're doing that we're not? Mass testing and strict lockdown with financial ramifications.

    https://news.yahoo.com/germany-remar...083800843.html
    There isn't a strict lockdown in NYC at the moment?

    The death rate will magically fall as testing goes up, the current "death rate" trumpeted by the media is obviously not even remorely accurate, as it fails to take in to account the most fundamental fact: thousands upon thousand upon thousand have already had it/have it, and those numbers aren't reflected.

  10. #510
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,048
    Rep Power
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I'm an hourly employee dude. I'm getting nothing right now and have not been working for two weeks. This isn't about haves and have-nots. This is about facts.
    What are the "Facts"? Millions will die?

  11. #511
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,048
    Rep Power
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    And what are your credentials again? Because pandemic specialists, doctors and scientists seem to disagree with your hunch.

    C'mon man, you can't still be touting the "it's just a flu" rhetoric... Even Trump is beyond that now.


    For anyone interested, Dr. Peter Attia has been posting very good videos on instagram almost every other day about what's going on here. It's a little dense at times but I think worth listening to.
    Here's Oxford University:

    https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...lf-of-u-k.html

    And Stanford:

    https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-the-...ay-11585088464

  12. #512
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    80,875
    Rep Power
    632
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    There isn't a strict lockdown in NYC at the moment?

    The death rate will magically fall as testing goes up, the current "death rate" trumpeted by the media is obviously not even remorely accurate, as it fails to take in to account the most fundamental fact: thousands upon thousand upon thousand have already had it/have it, and those numbers aren't reflected.
    Yea I'm sure testing more is all about the metrics and not about identifying who has it, and isolating them, like they did in China.

    I'll assume you didn't read the article, they put their strict lockdown in place far earlier than NYC did.

    But you're right, when we see countries doing things that are working, we should totally not do any of the things they're doing. We should risk people's lives so that hourly workers (who you've not given 2 shits about until...yesterday!) are protected.

  13. #513
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    80,875
    Rep Power
    632
    Finally a link! Can you explain what you'd like us to take away from this? BTW, the WSJ link is paywalled.

  14. #514
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,048
    Rep Power
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yea I'm sure testing more is all about the metrics and not about identifying who has it, and isolating them, like they did in China.

    I'll assume you didn't read the article, they put their strict lockdown in place far earlier than NYC did.

    But you're right, when we see countries doing things that are working, we should totally not do any of the things they're doing. We should risk people's lives so that hourly workers (who you've not given 2 shits about until...yesterday!) are protected.
    I take offense to that. I care. Always have. Those are my people. I manage 300 of them, and they all have my number.

  15. #515
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,048
    Rep Power
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Finally a link! Can you explain what you'd like us to take away from this? BTW, the WSJ link is paywalled.
    Shucks. It was free the other day.

    It's just an alternate "expert" opinion to Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

  16. #516
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    80,875
    Rep Power
    632
    It must be awesome to have the ability to live one's life only guided by what is most convenient to believe.

    Facts become bothersome? Just find alternative ones.

    95% of the world's scientists agree on something ... not down with it? Just search the internet for someone else who isn't either. Problem solved.

    What a time to be alive.

  17. #517
    Senior Member Midget Division
    4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,918
    Rep Power
    74
    Trumpís divide and conquer methods are working on BSBH. Sorry to see that.

  18. #518
    Senior Member Mite Division MuddyInTheMiddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    158
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    Trumpís divide and conquer methods are working on BSBH. Sorry to see that.
    I disagree; speaking for myself only. One of the only reasons that I have ventured to this part of the board(besides the obvious of nothing new happening right now in hockey), is that I enjoy alot of the people's opinions that post here even though I may not necessarily agree with them. Kudos to Phil and the other mods who have managed to do the very difficult job of keeping the tone modestly civil while we talk about some really hot button and polarizing issues.

  19. #519
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    18,703
    Rep Power
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    Trump’s divide and conquer methods are working on BSBH. Sorry to see that.
    I think we're actually pretty civil, all things considered. We get hot sometimes, sure, but aside from some occasional snideness, we're alright.

    The overwhelming problem with politics in the USA isn't Trump. He deserves blame for his poor policies, his poor behavior, his debasing of the office, what have you, but it's not him.

    It's that we've, as a society, devalued government, devalued education, and have allowed science and research to be muddled with desire and greed. From there, we have One America, Fox News, the wave of Facebook groups designed specifically to misinform an uneducated populace, and so on.

    All that together? A population that can't distinguish between fact and opinion, or need and want, gets to "choose" their "news". It becomes about celebritized political figureheads, not actual policy.

    Maybe it's an old political play amplified by technology these days, but it's really bad when we can't agree on something as simple as "hey, when people die because of a virus we don't have a cure for, that's bad".
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  20. #520
    rebuilding Junior Division
    fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Too far from MSG
    Posts
    5,305
    Rep Power
    119
    Trump always does what is best for Trump. Right now his focus is on reelection, to avoid the stigma of being a one-term president. The best way for him to win reelection is for the economy to be strong.
    Nate Silver at fivethirtyeight.com does a better job than I can do
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...d-coronavirus/

    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51674743
    'The UK government's scientific advisers believe that the chances of dying from a coronavirus infection are between 0.5% and 1%.'

    https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...-to-the-future

    We're months away from a vaccine being available. What areas should be in lockdown, and for how long? I remember the scene in 'Fight Club'
    https://inaneexplained.blogspot.com/...ar-recall.html
    'Narrator: A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.'

    Local, state, and federal governments will be forced to do the math. For the susceptible in the population, what preventive measures can be made to minimize the spread of coronavirus, with minimal impact to the economy.

    For those that have an immunocompromised kid, a loved one over 60 years old, or other susceptible loved ones, from a personal stand point, I can see how they would want the governments to weigh their decisions toward the public safety end, with increased economic effects.

    For a single, healthy individual in his/her 20s loaded with debt, I can see how they would want the governments to allow them to work. They are more willing to risk infection because they can probably fight the disease off. And when I was in my 20s, I felt less likely to be affected. Odds were that someone else was going to get mugged, get in a car accident, etc and why worry about it - just make some common sense decisions, and deal with something bad if it happens.

    IMO, I think that's why people approve of Trump's handling of coronavirus. Because he has publicly said by Easter, we should get back to normal. People want things to be back to normal - they want to be able to go to work, watch sports, go to restaurants, etc. And if less than 5% of infected die, if they are unlucky enough to be infected, odds are they will be able to survive.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

    "How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

    "Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Page 26 of 62 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •