• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Season Postponed/ Cancelled — 2020/21 Post Rebuild Era

jsm7302

Ok, so I really dont see a world where this postponement doesnt lead to a complete cancellation. I assume the NHLPA would have to agree on how to proceed and I just dont see how it gets done. So, with the said, how do draft picks get handed out? Is it just from the standings now?

To finish out this post and go along with the title, where does this team go next year? I say post rebuild but in all reality it is really tail end rebuild into the compete era. This team really came together this year and showed this core has what it takes to score and win. They need to shore up the D core and bottom 6, otherwise this team absolutely hands down can make some noise. How do you view this sudden end to the year and the opportunity for next season?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://nypost.com/2020/03/12/nhl-set-to-suspend-season-amid-coronavirus-outbreak/

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman reached out to clubs Thursday morning to tell them the regular season would be suspended due to the spread of the coronavirus, a source indicated to The Post. The official announcement came after 1 p.m. call to work out some of the details on what is a very fluid situation.

The league had already cancelled morning skates and practices Thursday morning, and they told teams to start working with their buildings to find dates to host games into July. An official announcement was expected later Thursday afternoon.

?Our goal is to resume play as soon as it is appropriate and prudent, so that we will be able to complete the season and award the Stanley Cup. Until then, we thank NHL fans for your patience and hope you stay healthy,? the league said in a statement.

Ok, so I really dont see a world where this postponement doesnt lead to a complete cancellation. I assume the NHLPA would have to agree on how to proceed and I just dont see how it gets done. So, with the said, how do draft picks get handed out? Is it just from the standings now?

To finish out this post and go along with the title, where does this team go next year? I say post rebuild but in all reality it is really tail end rebuild into the compete era. This team really came together this year and showed this core has what it takes to score and win. They need to shore up the D core and bottom 6, otherwise this team absolutely hands down can make some noise. How do you view this sudden end to the year and the opportunity for next season?

If the season is over I think the Rangers can look back at it as a huge success. They truly could have made the playoffs. Had Kreider not gotten hurt and Igor not banged up in the crash they had as good of a shot as anyone in that wildcard spot.

Next year, you just run it back again. Maybe you can dump Smith or Staal or ask Hank to retire but I don't see the need for any real changes. 4th line could use a center. But really everyone will be another year older and another year better. Chytil and Kakko in particular should take yet another step forward and hopefully bump Fast down to a more realistic spot in the lineup.

Maybe add another rookie or two (Kravstov or Rykov or Hajek) but that's really it.

DeBlasio said MSG will be "closed for months" so I don't know how they'll finish the season and start a new one on time.

This season ending prematurely changes nothing about their direction, nor does it undermine the progress they've made thus far.

Like ThirtyONE noted, you run it back again. Lundqvist will be moved on from in some fashion (my guess), and you can probably try to improve the left side of the defense. Sprinkle in some added wing depth, and give it another go next season.

I’m just curious how this is going to effect the cap for next year. This is huge revenue loss for the league.

Potentially not well at all, which could hurt us with the position we're going to be in. Was counting on the cap going up.

Only about 1500 U.S. cases of Coronavirus. If they can limit mass gatherings, which is now happening nationwide, and people quarantine themselves, there?s actually a pretty good shot that they can get a handle on this pretty quickly and have a shot at getting back playing in 3-4 weeks.

Next 2 weeks are huge.

If there?s any possibility that they can get back to playing, they?re going to try. They don?t want to lose all of this revenue.

• Like 1

Only about 1500 U.S. cases of Coronavirus. If they can limit mass gatherings, which is now happening nationwide, and people quarantine themselves, there?s actually a pretty good shot that they can get a handle on this pretty quickly and have a shot at getting back playing in 3-4 weeks.

Next 2 weeks are huge.

If there?s any possibility that they can get back to playing, they?re going to try. They don?t want to lose all of this revenue.

1500 confirmed yes, but the testing is so bad and slow, that its probably over 10k people already sick.

US was quick to ?close the country? compared to some other countries, but I think its still too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Only about 1500 U.S. cases of Coronavirus. If they can limit mass gatherings, which is now happening nationwide, and people quarantine themselves, there’s actually a pretty good shot that they can get a handle on this pretty quickly and have a shot at getting back playing in 3-4 weeks.

Next 2 weeks are huge.

If there’s any possibility that they can get back to playing, they’re going to try. They don’t want to lose all of this revenue.

I don't think this is true. There's real concern that it's not even going to really start for the next two weeks.

That and there's also concern that once China lift the quarantine, it'll bounce back. I've heard/read a number of experts say it could be a 3-6 month issue.

1500 confirmed yes, but the testing is so bad and slow, that its probably over 10k people already sick.

US was quick to ?close the country? compared to some other countries, but I think its still too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I don't think this is true. There's real concern that it's not even going to really start for the next two weeks.

That and there's also concern that once China lift the quarantine, it'll bounce back. I've heard/read a number of experts say it could be a 3-6 month issue.

All possible

I’m just trying to be optimistic.

I don’t think there’s 10,000 cases though. China blew up to 10,000 cases really fucking fast.

Some people feel it may not actually die down until June.

But even the best experts at CDC don’t know.

They’re all saying next 2-4 weeks are crucial.

They are doing the right things though, by suspending mass gatherings, restricting travel, and educating the public.

Hopefully it helps.

All possible

I’m just trying to be optimistic.

I don’t think there’s 10,000 cases though. China blew up to 10,000 cases really fucking fast.

Some people feel it may not actually die down until June.

But even the best experts at CDC don’t know.

They’re all saying next 2-4 weeks are crucial.

They are doing the right things though, by suspending mass gatherings, restricting travel, and educating the public.

Hopefully it helps.

IIRC the first cases were mentioned in China in December.

The main worry is the hidden spread, if you close everything now, the numbers will still go up as if you didn't for at least 2 weeks.

IIRC the first cases were mentioned in China in December.

The main worry is the hidden spread, if you close everything now, the numbers will still go up as if you didn't for at least 2 weeks.

Yes

But if you stem the tide now, numbers should decline after that.

Yes

But if you stem the tide now, numbers should decline after that.

I just doubt it will be as easy as waiting a few weeks and then it's back to normal. Maybe some constrains can be loosened in a month, but not all.

Especially with how little testing is really done till now, not only in the US.

I just doubt it will be as easy as waiting a few weeks and then it's back to normal. Maybe some constrains can be loosened in a month, but not all.

Especially with how little testing is really done till now, not only in the US.

That is the logic behind all of this

Limit contact, travel, mass gatherings etc. and hopefully you stop the spread and do so as quickly as possible

That is the logic behind all of this

Limit contact, travel, mass gatherings etc. and hopefully you stop the spread and do so as quickly as possible

I am just saying, I don't share your optimism in the speed at which the spread can be contained.

Here it's new measures almost daily, each trying to improve the half-hearted measures they did 1-2 weeks ago.

I am just saying, I don't share your optimism in the speed at which the spread can be contained.

Here it's new measures almost daily, each trying to improve the half-hearted measures they did 1-2 weeks ago.

I certainly understand that.

There’s going to be a lot of new cases that pop up before it gets better. That’s for sure. But what they’re hoping is that those new cases are already existing ones from people already infected that were unaware.

Key is preventing more new infections.

They’re doing the things you have to do in order to achieve that.

I certainly understand that.

There’s going to be a lot of new cases that pop up before it gets better. That’s for sure. But what they’re hoping is that those new cases are already existing ones from people already infected that were unaware.

Key is preventing more new infections.

They’re doing the things you have to do in order to achieve that.

Hopefully. Just remember that Wuhan in China is basically still under lockdown, which started in January and people say China went faster and harder with the lockdown than any Western country.

Hopefully. Just remember that Wuhan in China is basically still under lockdown, which started in January and people say China went faster and harder with the lockdown than any Western country.
Unfortunately you really can't believe any word coming out of China. they also knew this was a problem way before they let on, so the lockdown didn't necessarily come as early in the epidemic as they are saying.

South Korea immediately implemented the China protocol add stop the spread pretty much dead in its tracks. Makes you think if China acted quicker they wouldn't have to have lockdown for 3 months.

• Like 1

Unfortunately you really can't believe any word coming out of China. they also knew this was a problem way before they let on, so the lockdown didn't necessarily come as early in the epidemic as they are saying.

South Korea immediately implemented the China protocol add stop the spread pretty much dead in its tracks. Makes you think if China acted quicker they wouldn't have to have lockdown for 3 months.

That’s exactly my feeling.

China isn’t exactly the world’s bastion of honesty and openness, especially if they’re at fault for something.

Hopefully, the existing cases come out, those people get identified and receive treatment and are quarantined, and we start to see fewer and fewer new infections.

While that's certainly true, I don't think any European country or the US has done it as early as South Korea did, so we probably will see longer lockdowns.

China will remain worrysome. Are they lifting lockdowns, cause the problem is over or because their economy is collapsing if they don't?

Testing doesn't really matter. There is no vaccine and no cure. If you have a cough and a fever stay home until you are symptom free for 24 hours. If those symptoms are severe and/or you have shortness of breath then call the DR.

People should be smart enough to do this on the own without government orders.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk