• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL "Pauses" Season Due to Coronavirus; "Hopes to Resume"

Phil

2020 is toast. I don’t want weird MLB divisions, schedules and locations. I don’t want the NHL and NBA starting back up a season while thousands are dying daily, I’m stuck at home while being told to wear a mask out in public. NFL....probably needs to go fanless which would suck. I’m ready to shelf it all for a year personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Again though, once that TV is gone, it is not coming back. That kind of money is not something anyone walks away from.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NHL seems to be pivoting from its plan to reopen the season in four centralized locations and is now investigating the possibility of playing games in its teams’ home cities, multiple sources have told The Post.

The league is dealing with a myriad of hypotheticals, but it is believed that the players have pushed back on the prospect of spending months in a hotel apart from their families. Hence, the league is studying this alternative that is believed to have surfaced in the aftermath of Wednesday’s virtual meeting of the NHL/NHLPA Return to Play Committee that includes five players.

The players have raised numerous questions about the protocols under which they in essence would be segregated from society, but have not as a group rejected the possibility. Thus, the centralized-location plan has not been eliminated as an option.

Link: https://nypost.com/2020/05/01/nhl-pivoting-coronavirus-return-plans-after-players-likely-balked/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

NHL?s new return plan: Go straight to 24-team Stanley Cup playoff

The dynamic changes by the day, if not by the hour, but sources on both sides of the aisle have told The Post that the NHL?s reopening plan has shifted from completing the 2019-20 regular season to instead staging a 24-team tournament that would include a best-of-three play-in round.

Global pandemic-related issues such as testing ? procuring enough kits, swabs, and attendant equipment and labs to enable regular testing with rapid results ? remain outstanding as the NHL and NHLPA continue to meet regularly with their own constituencies and jointly with a shared objective of crowning a 2020 Stanley Cup champion.

The format of a 24-team tournament has not yet been established. But if the league goes with the top 12 teams in each conference, that would include every club at NHL .500 or better when play stopped on March 11. That structure would include the Rangers and Chicago.

If the league were for some reason to go with the six top teams in each division ? the NHL hasn?t had a division-based playoff system since 1992-93 ? that would mean that the Sabres (.493) would replace the Rangers (.564) and the Ducks (.472) would replace the Blackhawks (.514).

A decision to go directly to a tournament would allow the league to establish a draft lottery under which the seven teams on the other side of the cut line would be eligible for the first-overall pick. Those clubs would be the Red Wings, Senators, Sharks, Kings, Ducks, Sabres and Devils.

The order of selection determined by the lottery drawing would apply whether the draft is held in June or following completion of the tournament.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/07/nhl-restart-would-go-directly-into-24-team-stanley-cup-tournament/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

"Yes, hello, and welcome, we're live from Boise, Idaho to watch grown men play sportsball, all while the State throws you in jail for trying to feed your family, yes this certainly feels right, brought to you by the same people who've brought you organic, not-forced-at-all ideas such as Team North America Young Guns, so sit back, enjoy your government cheese and try to forget you've had every liberty stripped from you and there's 50 million unemployed on the continent!"