• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL "Pauses" Season Due to Coronavirus; "Hopes to Resume"

Phil

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is ignorant. Imagine if they were the only league not to close and their players got sick. NBA already has players that tested positive. They play in the same buildings.

US was way too slow in taking this seriously, IMO.

Saw an article earlier about Internet Coronavirus tough guys, it was pretty funny. Will try and find it later.

The hype around this thing maybe overplayed to a degree but to dismiss the whole thing as essentially a non-issue is well hard to fathom.

MLB up next:

• Like 1

I wonder what they plan on doing for the remaining games if you have tickets assuming they eventually resume. I guess it would just change the date or cancel certain games. I'm hoping they resume in 3-4 weeks and announce the first round will be 3 out of 5 to sort of balance out some things.

If they resume eventually and play well into the end of July, what does that mean for the teams the following year that go to the finals? They wuold have a very very short offseason. Probably a disaster to start in October like that.

Worldwide, average age of deaths is 80. Zero deaths of children under 6. Just like the flu. It is a flu. Nothing like 1918 flu that attacked the young and healthy. Pure hysteria. 80,000 died of the flu in the U.S. in 2017-18 season, and nobody so much as cancelled a nursery school play. Trump-hating media hyping it to start a de facto general strike.
  • Like 1

I wonder what they plan on doing for the remaining games if you have tickets assuming they eventually resume. I guess it would just change the date or cancel certain games. I'm hoping they resume in 3-4 weeks and announce the first round will be 3 out of 5 to sort of balance out some things.

If they resume eventually and play well into the end of July, what does that mean for the teams the following year that go to the finals? They wuold have a very very short offseason. Probably a disaster to start in October like that.

We can only hope to have the season back in a couple of weeks.

I'm sure if that happens, it'll all be factored in and perhaps 2021-22 will be a shortened season (like 60 games) with a later start. The scary thing right now is this situation is so fluid and changing hour by hour. Who knows what'll happen once the peak exponential infected rate hits USA/Canada in a few weeks time.

I sure hope so too like everyone else, but personally I'm not expecting we'll see any hockey until September now...

That's probably the smartest way to approach it. If it starts before that, it'd be a pleasant surprise.

This is ignorant. Imagine if they were the only league not to close and their players got sick. NBA already has players that tested positive. They play in the same buildings.

US was way too slow in taking this seriously, IMO.

they wouldn't get sick out of nowhere. like I said, test the players and if everyone is healthy, play in empty arenas if you have to. I see an opportunity, that's all

they wouldn't get sick out of nowhere. like I said, test the players and if everyone is healthy, play in empty arenas if you have to. I see an opportunity, that's all

Yes they would get sick out of nowhere. It takes 2 weeks to show symptoms. That's why when people say "oh there's only X NUMBER cases in the US, no big deal" they're wrong. They're traveling from city to city. They're not likely to get sick from other players, but other people and places. The virus lives on surfaces for 72 hours. The NBA already had players test positive. It's likely NHL players have been exposed.

Capitalism isn't a reason to put people at risk.

A major Italian soccer player tested positive today even though they've been playing in an empty stadium for weeks

• Like 1

NHL is such a pussy. Test your players, if no one is infected then keep playing. play in empty arenas if you must. Every sports fan will be watching NHL cause there will be nothing else to watch.

I'm listening to stories from Italy, telling of how there is a such a shortage of hospital beds that they are doing triage and giving them not to people who are the sickest, but those most likely to survive. Some experts believe we are some number of weeks away from that very spot because of our inability to test and get people into isolation. One estimated the lag time to be 2 weeks. My father is 93 with heart issues and likely to lose that kind of competition. He is not yet sick and I obviously hope it bypasses him completely. But his wife just flew across the country without appreciating the severity of the threat. It is all about avoiding transmission. So I hope everyone is treating the situation with the gravity it deserves.

• Like 1

Yes they would get sick out of nowhere. It takes 2 weeks to show symptoms. That's why when people say "oh there's only X NUMBER cases in the US, no big deal" they're wrong. They're traveling from city to city. They're not likely to get sick from other players, but other people and places. The virus lives on surfaces for 72 hours. The NBA already had players test positive. It's likely NHL players have been exposed.

Capitalism isn't a reason to put people at risk.

A major Italian soccer player tested positive today even though they've been playing in an empty stadium for weeks

I guess even if you play for empty arenas you cant keep players isolated from the world during other times.

I'm listening to stories from Italy, telling of how there is a such a shortage of hospital beds that they are doing triage and giving them not to people who are the sickest, but those most likely to survive. Some experts believe we are some number of weeks away from that very spot because of our inability to test and get people into isolation. One estimated the lag time to be 2 weeks. My father is 93 with heart issues and likely to lose that kind of competition. He is not yet sick and I obviously hope it bypasses him completely. But his wife just flew across the country without appreciating the severity of the threat. It is all about avoiding transmission. So I hope everyone is treating the situation with the gravity it deserves.

Right on. I'm in my 30s and I've never seen anything like this in my life. It's better safe than sorry. If at the end it turns out that this was all for nothing, then so be it. It's just not worth the risk.

• Like 1

Worldwide, average age of deaths is 80. Zero deaths of children under 6. Just like the flu. It is a flu. Nothing like 1918 flu that attacked the young and healthy. Pure hysteria. 80,000 died of the flu in the U.S. in 2017-18 season, and nobody so much as cancelled a nursery school play. Trump-hating media hyping it to start a de facto general strike.

Mostly agree. But better safe than sorry. If you "flatten" infections(statistical idea of number of infections being geometric curve), spread them out over time by limiting exposure, the health care system will be more able to deal with this situation. Also, heard an unconfirmed report that Alexander Radulov's flu diagnosis is believed to in fact be coronavirus.

Now, if the market would stop blowing chunks on my IRA, that would be great.

Right on. I'm in my 30s and I've never seen anything like this in my life. It's better safe than sorry. If at the end it turns out that this was all for nothing, then so be it. It's just not worth the risk.

I hope you never again in your lifetime.

The biggest issue is everyone getting sick at the exact same time, overwhelming medical facilities, creating more issues, etc etc. The quarantines arent stopping people from getting sick, its stop them from getting it right now.

While the response seems overblown, I do think it's a pretty smart approach to the situation. I dont think most people understand it, though

According to Fauci, this virus is roughly 10 times as fatal as the 2017-18 flu. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/top-federal-health-official-says-coronavirus-outbreak-is-going-to-get-worse-in-the-us.html

So sit back, crack open a beer, turn on Sam and Joe and let it spread the same way as the traditional flu. 800,000 U.S. deaths are cool by you? But, it's not the same. They keep calling it a "novel" coronavirus because it is not like the ones before it. As has been previously mentioned, we get flu shots every year and succumb to the odd ones that sneak through, developing a multi-year base of immunity to traditional flu. But this is, well, novel. We don't have a vaccine and we don't have the underlying immunity, so ... more people are going to get it - some estimate as many as 150 million Americans. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/up-to-150-million-americans-are-expected-to-contract-the-coronavirus-congressional-doctor-says.html. Unclear if that is with or without draconian measures. At a 1% fatality rate you get 1.5 million deaths. Does that rate a little hysteria?

Oh, and since it isn't hitting kids - a traditionally vulnerable group - that means those fatalities will be concentrated among the elderly. Though 93 and an ex-Trump supporter, I kind of like the one parent I have left.

I'll save for another thread how much I think Trump absolutely created and stoked this response through his unique combination of elite level managerial incompetence, complete absence of knowledge about how government is supposed to function, and almost supernatural inability to see any interest but his own.

• Like 1

My father is 93 with heart issues and likely to lose that kind of competition. He is not yet sick and I obviously hope it bypasses him completely. It is all about avoiding transmission.

Hope your dad, and everyone's family is safe and remains healthy. My mom is 83. We're going to do shopping for her and generally just ask her to stay home. Not a fun prospect for a lady who likes to get out and about, but she understands the risk. Thankfully, she is connected to all of us with her iPad and iPhone. My mother-in-law? Not so much. She's going to go nuts feeling isolated.

Hope your dad, and everyone's family is safe and remains healthy. My mom is 83. We're going to do shopping for her and generally just ask her to stay home. Not a fun prospect for a lady who likes to get out and about, but she understands the risk. Thankfully, she is connected to all of us with her iPad and iPhone. My mother-in-law? Not so much. She's going to go nuts feeling isolated.

Same to you and your mom. Hopefully, as 31 said, all this works and we have the luxury of wondering whether it was too much.