• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL "Pauses" Season Due to Coronavirus; "Hopes to Resume"

Phil

espn link for FAQ

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28893110/why-nhl-hit-pause-button-2019-20-season-comes-next

From a functional standpoint, how could the playoffs be seeded if the regular season is done?

Eastern Conference:

A1 Boston Bruins (.714 points percentage) vs. WC2 New York Islanders (.588)

A2 Tampa Bay Lightning (.657) vs. A3 Toronto Maple Leafs (.579)

M1 Washington Capitals (.652) vs. WC1 Carolina Hurricanes (.596)

M2 Philadelphia Flyers (.645) vs. M3 Pittsburgh Penguins (.623)

Western Conference:

C1 St. Louis Blues (.662) vs. WC2 Calgary Flames (.564)

C2 Colorado Avalanche (.657) vs. C3 Dallas Stars (.594)

P1 Vegas Golden Knights (.606) vs. WC1 Nashville Predators (.565)

P2 Edmonton Oilers (.585) vs. P3 Vancouver Canucks (.565)

What happens with revenues if the season ends up being canceled?

...What this adds up to is another 20% potentially being taken off the face value of contracts.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worldwide, average age of deaths is 80. Zero deaths of children under 6. Just like the flu. It is a flu. Nothing like 1918 flu that attacked the young and healthy. Pure hysteria. 80,000 died of the flu in the U.S. in 2017-18 season, and nobody so much as cancelled a nursery school play. Trump-hating media hyping it to start a de facto general strike.

:banghead:

espn link for FAQ

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28893110/why-nhl-hit-pause-button-2019-20-season-comes-next

From a functional standpoint, how could the playoffs be seeded if the regular season is done?

Eastern Conference:

A1 Boston Bruins (.714 points percentage) vs. WC2 New York Islanders (.588)

A2 Tampa Bay Lightning (.657) vs. A3 Toronto Maple Leafs (.579)

M1 Washington Capitals (.652) vs. WC1 Carolina Hurricanes (.596)

M2 Philadelphia Flyers (.645) vs. M3 Pittsburgh Penguins (.623)

Western Conference:

C1 St. Louis Blues (.662) vs. WC2 Calgary Flames (.564)

C2 Colorado Avalanche (.657) vs. C3 Dallas Stars (.594)

P1 Vegas Golden Knights (.606) vs. WC1 Nashville Predators (.565)

P2 Edmonton Oilers (.585) vs. P3 Vancouver Canucks (.565)

What happens with revenues if the season ends up being canceled?

...What this adds up to is another 20% potentially being taken off the face value of contracts.

I just don't see a scenario in which they have 3 months to deliver a full 16 team playoff in a way they can start the 20-21 season on time. I would not be at all surprised if they cut it down and go with the top two in the division playing each other, followed by the series winners in each conference, followed by finals. They could seed the back end of the draft by lottery if it spills into July.

I'm listening to stories from Italy, telling of how there is a such a shortage of hospital beds that they are doing triage and giving them not to people who are the sickest, but those most likely to survive. Some experts believe we are some number of weeks away from that very spot because of our inability to test and get people into isolation. One estimated the lag time to be 2 weeks. My father is 93 with heart issues and likely to lose that kind of competition. He is not yet sick and I obviously hope it bypasses him completely. But his wife just flew across the country without appreciating the severity of the threat. It is all about avoiding transmission. So I hope everyone is treating the situation with the gravity it deserves.

Some apparently think it's all fake news to hurt trump. Like that's needed, his message spoke volumes last night.

Thank you for your common sense post.

Some apparently think it's all fake news to hurt trump. Like that's needed, his message spoke volumes last night.

Thank you for your common sense post.

They believe the entire world has shut down in a concerted effort to help the US liberal media hurt Trump?

Seems legit.

• Like 1

CDC recommends the cancellation or postponement of all events with 50+ people in the next 8 weeks.

Not looking good for hockey to come back

Is anyone realize surprised? Things sure as hell aren?t getting better in Europe. My kids think they are going back to school at the end of the month, I?m trying to be honest with them when I explain why that?s unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Is anyone realize surprised? Things sure as hell aren?t getting better in Europe. My kids think they are going back to school at the end of the month, I?m trying to be honest with them when I explain why that?s unlikely.

Not surprised at all. I stopped caring about hockey a week before they canceled it.

• 3 weeks later...

The NHL's coronavirus pause: How the playoffs could work

What's the likelihood that the Stanley Cup playoffs are held in empty arenas?

Wyshynski: It's a possibility. There are models being considered and planned by the league that involve games being played in arenas without fans. Some of those models involve playing in empty home arenas around the league, and others focus on the thing the NBA is considering: holding the postseason at a neutral-site venue. (The NBA is reportedly exploring a playoff tournament in Las Vegas this summer.)

Given the larger numbers of players and support staff for an NHL team vs. an NBA team, holding the postseason in a single venue isn't the NHL's preference. That could mean multiple venues for the early rounds of the playoffs, almost like "regionals" for teams. Think of it like the 2016 World Cup of Hockey in Toronto: playoff rounds with multiple teams playing at a single site, which would mean games could be staggered throughout the day at the venue. Depending on what the rest of the world looks like by then, playoff hockey every afternoon would be a welcome distraction, wouldn't it?

Logically, a neutral-site playoff would ease the problems caused by inconsistent region-by-region restrictions, create a controlled environment for the athletes and reduce costs of travel for the teams. It would also get the playoffs on the air, creating revenue where there currently isn't, which is good news for players and owners. What this plan doesn't do is guarantee that there won't be someone involved in the games who tests positive for COVID-19, and then all bets might be off.

Where could these neutral-site, empty-building games be played?

Wyshynski: It might not end up being in NHL arenas. From a television perspective, holding these games in cavernous, empty buildings might not make for the most aesthetically pleasing viewing experience. The opportunity would be there for the NHL to get creative in a smaller arena venue: Light it differently, present the on-ice action in a more dynamic way, and explore other made-for-TV innovations.

Obviously, whatever venue the league chooses would need to fit the dimensions and specifications for an NHL rink and have reasonably good facilities for the players and staff. All options are being considered to try to complete the season and ease the revenue hit.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28998385/the-nhl-coronavirus-pause-how-playoffs-work-new-positive-tests-more

I'm sure they're exploring it because they have nothing better to do, but it just seems infeasible considering the caveat Wysh mentioned - "What this plan doesn't do is guarantee that there won't be someone involved in the games who tests positive for COVID-19, and then all bets might be off."

They aren’t playing hockey again for the season

This. They should be figuring out how to run their offseason without contact and start next October on time. This year is lost and the quicker they move on, the better chance we'll have at a normal year next year.

They aren?t playing hockey again for the season

This. They should be figuring out how to run their offseason without contact and start next October on time. This year is lost and the quicker they move on, the better chance we'll have at a normal year next year.

Agreed with both of you. Any format they come up with, the eventual winner wouldn't really be recognized by fans as "legitimate" anyway. Pack it up and move on.