• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Will K'Andre Miller Turn Pro?

Phil

5. K?Andre Miller?s season ended Saturday in conjunction with Wisconsin?s elimination by Ohio State from the first round of the Big 10 Tournament.

If the 20-year-old sophomore defenseman, selected 22nd overall in the first round by the Blueshirts in 2018, opts to turn pro sooner rather than later, general manager Jeff Gorton would almost certainly look to get the 6-foot-4 Miller into AHL Hartford on a PTO as opposed to burning the first year of an entry-level deal.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/08/road-trip-is-chance-for-rangers-to-get-their-goalies-right/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. Let him prove himself first - there's no birthright to B'way.

I learned this from the Kakko experience this year....and also with what I now see coming from Chytil. I may be stubborn as fuck, big guy, but I'll admit it when I'm wrong!!! :rofl:

Let this kid come up the right way!

Unimpressive year of development that included a suspension for conduct, and complaining about his situation.

Uh oh, not this again.

Did he throw his scholarship into the stands?

Apparently not yet officially.

This is an except from Blueshirtsbanter article:

K?Andre Miller?s College Season Over ; Pro Hockey Next?

It wouldn?t be a surprise to see K?Andre Miller turn pro... perhaps as soon as this month.

By Adam Herman@AdamZHerman Mar 8, 2020, 8:30am EDT

A quote from Miller:

As for Miller, there are no guarantees that he doesn?t return to Wisconsin for his junior season in 2020-2021. However, in a recent conversation with The Athletic, Miller admitted that he mostly viewed his time at Wisconsin as a path to the Rangers and little else.

?They?re not easy classes so there?s a lot of work behind them. Managing that in the right way with hockey has been fun ? I guess,? Miller says with a chuckle. ?I struggle to stay motivated. I don?t know. I love hockey. It?s kind of bad to say but I feel like school is always second to hockey. It?s just getting by in school and doing whatever I need to do to make it (to New York).?

If the Rangers offer him the chance to turn pro, either right now or for the 2020-2021 season, and there?s no reason to believe they wouldn?t, then it would be difficult to believe he?d instead head back to a struggling Wisconsin team.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He should leave. The whole academic aspect is dumb as shit. He's going to be a professional hockey player, he should be learning how to become a professional hockey player.

And that’s fine. I think it’s going to be a bit.

I won’t call the 20 year old a bust yet. /snark

Rangers in talks to sign first-round pick K?Andre Miller

The Rangers have engaged in dialogue with the representatives for Wisconsin sophomore defenseman K?Andre Miller, with the 22nd overall selection in the 2018 draft leaning toward leaving school and turning pro, The Post has been told.

Miller had a rocky season for the underachieving Badgers, who were ousted from the Big Ten Tournament with an opening-round sweep by Ohio State to finish the season a shocking 14-20-2 despite three NHL first-rounders ? Miller; Alex Turcotte, fifth overall by Los Angeles in 2019; Cole Caufield, 15th overall by Montreal in 2019 ? on the roster.

The Blueshirts ideally would like to sign Miller to an entry level contract that would begin next season while getting the defenseman to Hartford on a PTO (Professional Try Out) agreement for the remainder of the current AHL season and potential playoffs.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/10/rangers-in-talks-to-sign-first-round-pick-kandre-miller/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He’s gonna need a year, possibly two in Hartford. I sincerely hope they don’t rush him.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Let him learn...I agree!

K’Aint Ready

Nice!!

K'ould be a couple seasons!! ;)

Definitely should go straight to Hartford.

Maybe he'll be reinvigorated by it and show more progress than he has this year.

Of course you know I'm greedy to see him, but I'm riding shotgun with you on this one, Pete! I learned that lesson with a certain Fin!

I really hope this is more of a thing being "bored" with college level of play and not signs of attitude and work ethic problems in the future. Hopefully Hartford will reinvigorate him and he can get his game together at the professional level.

Honestly, if you read the Athletic article, it sounds like boredom. He sounds like he's a complete gym rat/rink rat going through the motions to get through the college path at a high enough level to play professionally.

Gotta see it though; last year, he looked unbeatable. This year, he looked disinterested.

Honestly, if you read the Athletic article, it sounds like boredom. He sounds like he's a complete gym rat/rink rat going through the motions to get through the college path at a high enough level to play professionally.

Gotta see it though; last year, he looked unbeatable. This year, he looked disinterested.

The Athletic is a paid site, isn't it? I don't have access to it. I'm thinking that's what it is, though, because he never gave off that impression of being lazy or having an attitude problem.

I agree on the Athletic article- I just don't think school is where he wants to be (and that is in no way an indictment of the kid- I don't actually blame him). Additionally, I don't think you can take anything from his season, Wisconsin was a shitshow all year. Get him on the books as a PTO for the remainder of 2020, let him play an entire season in Hartford and reassess in camp in 2021.

The Athletic is a paid site, isn't it? I don't have access to it. I'm thinking that's what it is, though, because he never gave off that impression of being lazy or having an attitude problem.

Yeah, it's paid.

Just a quick excerpt from a phenomenal piece that I think is emblematic of why the Athletic is worth every penny. It's like $60 a year, and there's just a metric fuckton of good hockey content and then some. 100% would recommend, happy to provide a referral link too (gets you 40% off, gets me a gift card or something).

When Emberson and Messner arrive at the rink, Miller is standing in the dressing room taping his stick while other players file in and scatter.

Miller’s focus is different than many of his peers. A first-round pick of the Rangers, he has his sights set on Madison Square Garden more than on Madison, Wis.

He’s one of the players who struggles most with the school side of being a student-athlete and hasn’t decided on a major.

Often, while others work on assignments in the academic center, he’s in the gym getting in an extra workout, on the ice by himself, or in the shooting room. He only has one in-person class (and three online courses) so he spends less time on campus than almost anyone. Because he doesn’t have class on Monday, Wednesday or Friday, he’s usually one of the first to the rink. He figures he spends between 30 and 40 hours a week at the rink, not including the full days he’s there on weekends.

“They’re not easy classes so there’s a lot of work behind them. Managing that in the right way with hockey has been fun … I guess,” Miller says with a chuckle. “I struggle to stay motivated. I don’t know. I love hockey. It’s kind of bad to say but I feel like school is always second to hockey. It’s just getting by in school and doing whatever I need to do to make it (to New York).”

• Like 1

I agree on the value of the Athletic. I spend money on lots of dumb shit over the course of a year, the 60 bucks I pay here is one of the few things I actually get my moneys worth... And for new subscribers, they run discounted promos all the time.