• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hyperfocus on NYR Goalies

fletch

It boggles my mind the negativity I've read thrown Lundqvist's way. I am happy as a pig in shit that we look like we have another franchise altering talent in net for us for the foreseeable future. That doesn't mean that the last franchise altering, borderline generational talent, that played in our net should be kicked out with such disrespect. How quickly people forget. That said, he has not played well. I will acknowledge that 100%. It wasn't as if Georgiev was lights out for every game he played as well.
Agree. And if you think Shesterkin doesn't see how fans are treating Lundqvist, well... He does.

Henrik Lundqvist deserves to be celebrated by this fanbase, and the vitriol he's getting in the last few months is uncalled for. It is, however, fair to say that Henrik, Quinn, and Gorton need to sit down once this season is over and discuss his role. He's both a legend and the third best goalie on the roster, and that sucks for us as fans and for him as a player who's given us 15 years of stellar hockey.

Those are all, I think, fair statements.

Agree. And if you think Shesterkin doesn't see how fans are treating Lundqvist, well... He does.

What fans have disrespected Lundqvist? A few teenagers on Twitter?

Yea, I don't think many celebs/athletes/public figures put much stock in social media 'haters'.

I think the thing Shesty notices the most is that the Garden still chants Hen-rik!, Hen-rik!, never chanted Geor-gie!-Geor-gie!, and now chants I-gor!, I-gor!

Crazy as it is, the intermittent periods weren't even that bad. We brought in the corpse of Sawchuk at one point, Gilles Villemure, John Davidson, Chuck Rayner, Jacques Plante, Jussi Markkanen, Mike Dunham....okay, those last two were rough, but it was like two seasons!

We've had this unreal streak of going from great goalie to great goalie since damn near the late 60s with few if any years of true uncertainty.

Heck, in an alternate reality, we open post lockout with a goalie controversy, as anointed #1 top pick Dan Blackburn faces off against some Swedish wunderkind with a q and a v in his last name.

Or Al Montoya... LOL. What a bad pick.

Yea, I don't think many celebs/athletes/public figures put much stock in social media 'haters'.

I think the thing Shesty notices the most is that the Garden still chants Hen-rik!, Hen-rik!, never chanted Geor-gie!-Geor-gie!, and now chants I-gor!, I-gor!

I don't know. Someone ask Eichel why he deleted his accounts.

It's funny, if he bailed on the team after The Letter he'd have gotten shit for it.

He wanted to stick it out through a rebuild and he's getting shit on?

Real bad look, there.

I don’t know, when he does play I don’t see him getting booed around MSG. I still see plenty of Lundqvist jerseys and the team still dresses him pretty much every game.

We seriously are worrying about what trolls say on the internet? Does anyone think on Henrik Lundqvist day his speech will be filled with disappointment of what jackass123 said on Twitter?

I don?t know, when he does play I don?t see him getting booed around MSG. I still see plenty of Lundqvist jerseys and the team still dresses him pretty much every game.

We seriously are worrying about what trolls say on the internet? Does anyone think on Henrik Lundqvist day his speech will be filled with disappointment of what jackass123 said on Twitter?

That's fine, maybe I got a little bit tangential. I can admit that.

Regarding the original spirit of the OP and how we debate here, there's absolutely a reaction and a lightning rod to people completely shitting on him which is totally unwarranted.

That gets a response.

Then it spirals.

That's fine, maybe I got a little bit tangential. I can admit that.

Regarding the original spirit of the OP and how we debate here, there's absolutely a reaction and a lightning rod to people completely shitting on him which is totally unwarranted.

That gets a response.

Then it spirals.

I think everyone, at least here and in the circle most of us know, understand and appreciate everything Henrik has done here. It is very unfortunate that it has come to this. Some of us just disagree on what to do next. I’m obviously in the camp of it’s just his time to step aside here because it’s clear to me that the future of this organization doesn’t include him. As I’ve said in another thread, I saw Leetch traded when he was our Conn Smythe cup winning best defenseman this team had ever known. Time stops for no one. It’s sad but it is what it is.

• Like 1

Or Al Montoya... LOL. What a bad pick.

Even considering the uncertainty around Blackburn, and considering the rest of that draft....that may have been one of the worst picks we've ever made. Second top 10 pick on a goalie in three years while Henrik is in the system shows a glaring lack of situational awareness.

I think everyone, at least here and in the circle most of us know, understand and appreciate everything Henrik has done here. It is very unfortunate that it has come to this. Some of us just disagree on what to do next. I?m obviously in the camp of it?s just his time to step aside here because it?s clear to me that the future of this organization doesn?t include him. As I?ve said in another thread, I saw Leetch traded when he was our Conn Smythe cup winning best defenseman this team had ever known. Time stops for no one. It?s sad but it is what it is.
Yes, and everyone lost their shit when Leetch was traded, so when did the barometer change?

Also there's a difference between trading Leetch to a Cup contender and then saying Hank should retire and leave money out there, accept a trade when the team granted an NMC, etc.

The Leetch example is just sounds like "Yea, we're used to treating team legends like ass, so get used to it".

Meanwhile, I can counter with they let Mess play until AARP kicked in.

Yes, and everyone lost their shit when Leetch was traded, so when did the barometer change?

Also there's a difference between trading Leetch to a Cup contender and then saying Hank should retire and leave money out there, accept a trade when the team granted an NMC, etc.

The Leetch example is just sounds like "Yea, we're used to treating team legends like ass, so get used to it".

Meanwhile, I can counter with they let Mess play until AARP kicked in.

Well Messier yes, the second time. They did once not welcome him back when free agency hit for him. The barometer never changed. The barometer is that no one is above the team. It’s always been that way. It’s been that was around the entire league sans very very few. You can make the argument that yes, Henrik does partly deserve to be in that select few, but I just don’t see it working out that way.

Look, Henrik doesn’t have to retire. He could could agree to a trade and control where he goes if there are takers with us probably retaining salary so that means goodbye someone else. I also think his presence though is partly a distraction especially next year unless they trade Georgies rights this offseason, but how is that better for the Rangers? No way they do this next year like it is this year.

Well Messier yes, the second time. They did once not welcome him back when free agency hit for him. The barometer never changed. The barometer is that no one is above the team. It?s always been that way. It?s been that was around the entire league sans very very few. You can make the argument that yes, Henrik does partly deserve to be in that select few, but I just don?t see it working out that way.

Look, Henrik doesn?t have to retire. He could could agree to a trade and control where he goes if there are takers with us probably retaining salary so that means goodbye someone else. I also think his presence though is partly a distraction especially next year unless they trade Georgies rights this offseason, but how is that better for the Rangers? No way they do this next year like it is this year.

I understand your points.

There are certain things I don't agree with.

I think Geo and Hank both give you the same performance with a regular workload, and from a cap perspective a trade or buyout of Lundy + signing Geo saves you nothing.

It's all about culture and locker room and Hank gives you more than Geo there IMO.

I understand your points.

There are certain things I don't agree with.

I think Geo and Hank both give you the same performance with a regular workload, and from a cap perspective a trade or buyout of Lundy + signing Geo saves you nothing.

It's all about culture and locker room and Hank gives you more than Geo there IMO.

I think Hank and Geo give about the same as well. The only difference I see is the age and one has the chance to trend up while the other is in his swan song. Unless you have a handshake agreement where Hank agrees to sign new 1m contracts on a yearly basis afterwards but I don’t think the organization really wants that just because of there was an injury to Shesh again, they’ve already shown they don’t plan to turn to a 38 year old Hank so why would they turn to a 39,40...etc Hank.

I think Hank and Geo give about the same as well. The only difference I see is the age and one has the chance to trend up while the other is in his swan song. Unless you have a handshake agreement where Hank agrees to sign new 1m contracts on a yearly basis afterwards but I don?t think the organization really wants that just because of there was an injury to Shesh again, they?ve already shown they don?t plan to turn to a 38 year old Hank so why would they turn to a 39,40...etc Hank.
Right. I guess at this point I just don't see Geo in the plans either.

He's either just ok with a highlight game here or there ...or awful.