• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Breaking Down Kaapo Kakko’s Struggles This Season

https://theathletic.com/1641222/2020/03/03/the-video-room-breaking-down-kaapo-kakkos-struggles-this-season/

Kaapo Kakko had the r?sum? for immediate NHL success. Not only was he a tremendously talented dual-threat attacker, but his strength and puck protection made him one of the most physically dominant players in the sport. Every game in Liiga, the top tier of men?s hockey in Finland, Kakko did something incredible ? and he racked up the points, too.

The impressive r?sum? hasn?t translated into results in the NHL. Kakko?s one of the lowest scoring players in the NHL at 5-on-5, recording just 0.61 points per 60 minutes (397th of 410 forwards with at least 250 minutes played). While he?s been backed by a comically low 3.9 on-ice shooting percentage, he has the lowest Goals Above Replacement (Evolving Hockey?s measure of a player?s contribution to their team) of any player in the NHL.

Yikes.

So, what?s going on here?

I highly recommend you take the time to read this one. Brown breaks down a bunch of areas where Kakko is struggling and admits he didn't foresee these issues when watching him last year.

Most of the issues boil down to (lack of) skating ability, but he has an arsenal of videos to support his analysis.

• Like 1

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great in-depth article. I'm a big fan of Brown's work. Like him, I'm not really too concerned about Kakko's future. He's bad right now, but he's got tools to make him successful so long as he can improve his footspeed and continue getting stronger and more confident. I get the impression that he's the type to put the work in now knowing what his deficiencies are. It might even be another two seasons until you get the exact results you want but I suspect they'll come.

https://theathletic.com/1641222/2020/03/03/the-video-room-breaking-down-kaapo-kakkos-struggles-this-season/

I highly recommend you take the time to read this one. Brown breaks down a bunch of areas where Kakko is struggling and admits he didn't foresee these issues when watching him last year.

Most of the issues boil down to (lack of) skating ability, but he has an arsenal of videos to support his analysis.

Good find Morph!!!

I think the same as Drew; All these flaws are at least something that can be improved and bolstered with time, experience and age. At least they can identify where his mistakes and shortcomings are!!

I have no worries with Kakko. He's a just a kid playing a man's game right now.

he's earned valuable experience this year. see if he puts in the hard work in the off season.

not like hughes is lighting it up in jersey either.

this is going to happen more and more as management plays these 18 year olds at the top level immediately upon entry into the club.

Great in-depth article. I'm a big fan of Brown's work. Like him, I'm not really too concerned about Kakko's future. He's bad right now, but he's got tools to make him successful so long as he can improve his footspeed and continue getting stronger and more confident. I get the impression that he's the type to put the work in now knowing what his deficiencies are. It might even be another two seasons until you get the exact results you want but I suspect they'll come.

I'm not terribly concerned, but I'm not terribly hopeful, either. He's slow and skates like shit. There's only so much of that you can improve. Namely technique. Like Boyle. But also like Boyle, even dramatically improving a player's skating technique doesn't catapult them into another stratosphere. It just gives them small in-game advantages they used to not have. There's still a truckload of work to do to improve everything else.

Interesting read, it's truly hard to fathom just how bad he's been by the numbers. Nobody could of predicted the depth of the floor of his rookie year. He's exceeded all expectations in that regard. Like Phil not overly concerned, but I am completely disappointed

and no longer think he's a slam dunk star in the making. His ceiling maybe drastically lower than I expected. In hindsight I think they mishandled him this season.

I'm not terribly concerned, but I'm not terribly hopeful, either. He's slow and skates like shit. There's only so much of that you can improve. Namely technique. Like Boyle. But also like Boyle, even dramatically improving a player's skating technique doesn't catapult them into another stratosphere. It just gives them small in-game advantages they used to not have. There's still a truckload of work to do to improve everything else.

Right. I'm not expecting Kakko to completely solve his skating problem. I think he can still become an average skater and that's really about as much as he needs. His edgework is what makes his game, he just needs to propel himself more. I think there's also more room for development in a 19-year-old Kakko than a 25-year-old Brian Boyle.

Somewhat tangential, here's a section from an Athletic article on Underhill's contributions to Tampa's organization:

Underhill will split time between AHL Syracuse and Tampa Bay. She’ll film one-on-one sessions with players, dissecting their skating and sending a voice-over analysis through the app. Cirelli said he learned how to make tighter turns and integrate his body movements in his strides. Gourde said Underhill taught him how to be more powerful in his skating as opposed to fluidly floating.

https://theathletic.com/347334/2018/05/09/the-woman-behind-some-of-the-nhls-fastest-teams/

With regards to Kakko, I don't think you'll really have the opportunity to reinvent the wheel with his skating. Tweak what doesn't work and build upon what does. I don't know the extent of Kakko's skating training aside from the fact that he's said that he had done some over the summer. Maybe it didn't work and he needs a different breakdown. He trains with a prominent group of players in Finland, none of whom are particularly known as terrific skaters. Have him work on skating here. Not there.

Ive said this before but it's worth mentioning. Kakko looks just like Chytil did his first year. Easily knocked off pucks, slow and not really contributing besides one play every three games. Chytil looks 5X better this season in almost every facet of his game. Something clicked when he was sent to Hartford. I'm hoping and think that Kakko responds as well next season. His skating does look improved lately and I think all the young guys are feeding off this playoff push. Even Howden is looking faster and more engaged, which is great to see.

Ive said this before but it's worth mentioning. Kakko looks just like Chytil did his first year. Easily knocked off pucks, slow and not really contributing besides one play every three games. Chytil looks 5X better this season in almost every facet of his game. Something clicked when he was sent to Hartford. I'm hoping and think that Kakko responds as well next season. His skating does look improved lately and I think all the young guys are feeding off this playoff push. Even Howden is looking faster and more engaged, which is great to see.

I don't know if I see it aside from both of them overthinking. Chytil is significantly better at skating and shooting than Kakko. That was still evident last season despite Chytil's struggles.

Today's trivia question for this thread -

Clues:

A guy that was termed a "bust" back in '97

Drafted #1 overall by Boston

Had 3 goals and 4 assists in 55 GP in his rookie season

Was acquired by the San Jose Sharks on Nov. 30, 2005, in a trade from the Boston Bruins

Won the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL's top scorer in 2005-06, when he had 125 points (29 goals, 96 assists)

Also won the Hart Trophy as MVP in the same season

Played in NHL All-Star Games (2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009)

Who is this former "BUST"?????

Clues:

Was acquired by the San Jose Sharks on Nov. 30, 2005, in a trade from the Boston Bruins

Won the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL's top scorer in 2005-06, when he had 125 points (29 goals, 96 assists)

That would be Joe Thornton! You also forgot he won when the MVP award in 2006 when Jagr should have. No, I'm still not bitter about it at all.

There is another 18 year old that was drafted #2 overall and had a line of 11 goals 20 for 31 points in his first year followed by 45 goals 55 assists for 100 points in his next NHL season (2 years later due to lockout). Eric Staal.

I?m just hoping that?s more of what we are in store for........

Clues:

It's not just a production thing, tho.

It's a skill thing.

When it's a speed league and you're not a skilled skater, that's a problem.

It's a skill thing.

That's my concern too. Jumbo Joe's start of his career is not the same as the league is now. I don't share the future optimism of some of the posters here. I hope I'm wrong.

That's my concern too. Jumbo Joe's start of his career is not the same as the league is now. I don't share the future optimism of some of the posters here. I hope I'm wrong.

Same.

It doesn't help much with the wake of the Andersson pick (and McIlrath before him) still rippling in the water.

It's a skill thing.

While that's something Kakko should work on - there's probably another thing to consider: Kakko isn't doing enough to capitalize on his chances, nor create more of them.

If you heatmap Kakko's chances, you see that when he's in the sweet spot, he can do damage.

What's also interesting is that he blows a lot of these chances; sometimes he's just robbed, but man, he misses a lot from in front.

I think he's gotta work on his skating, for sure, but he's also got to work on creating more chances and taking advantage of the chances he gets with more threat. Shoot more. Get the puck to the net more. Get himself to the net more.