• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Breaking Down Kaapo Kakko’s Struggles This Season

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No no no. He's Finnish. They hate life.

Talk about "confirmation" of ethnic stereotypes. Sitting behind the Rangers bench recently I was struck by how Kakko looked like he was in a catatonic stoic trance throughout the game while DeAngelo was jawing, grimacing, laughing etc. non-stop.

From Scott Wheeler's "Risers and fallers from the 2019 draft" article.

Fallers (obviously)

Jack Hughes (New Jersey Devils) and Kaapo Kakko (New York Rangers)

This isn’t about whether the draft order at the top would change for either of these two players in hindsight. Nearly nine months later, I still think Hughes and Kakko were selected in the right spots. That’s unlikely to change too. I believe Hughes has point per game potential and the ability to be one of the NHL’s most dynamic playmaking threats on the power play. I believe Kakko has consistent 30-40 goal potential as a powerful, high-skill winger with size. In that way, my projection for the pair hasn’t changed in a drastic way just yet. But there’s no question I expected both would have a more pronounced immediate impact than they have. Given the seasons they had with the NTDP and TPS respectively, as well as their skill sets, most believed they were capable of challenging for 50-60 points. But as it stands today, they would each need to play at a point per game pace down the stretch just to challenge 40 points. When you look back at the rookie seasons of recent top two-picks, they’re closer to Nolan Patrick territory (30 points in 73 games) than they are to Andrei Svechnikov (37 points) or Nico Hischier (52 points). Both have struggled mightily in stretches. At this point in the season, I expected they’d both be, at least peripherally, in Calder Trophy conversation. They aren’t. Next year will be telling.

https://theathletic.com/1664788/2020/03/11/wheeler-risers-and-fallers-since-the-2019-nhl-draft/

Kind of sums up how I feel. Very disappointing season, some valid concerns, but I'm still not close to thinking drafting this kid at #2 was a mistake.

And just as a preemptive measure, I'm posting this because it came up on The Athletic today, not because he potted 2 last night.

Pfft. He's 19 now. He should be a seasoned pro. Send Krappo to Hartford!
I know this is semi-jest, but it also highlights an issue with some fans... Hartford isn't a demotion. It's a development team. The NHL isn't.

I know this is semi-jest, but it also highlights an issue with some fans... Hartford isn't a demotion. It's a development team. The NHL isn't.

You were right about this one my man! In retrospect, he should have played in Hartford this year. I don't know if you can measure everyone with the same stick, but you were dead on with this one, Pete!

You were right about this one my man! In retrospect, he should have played in Hartford this year. I don't know if you can measure everyone with the same stick, but you were dead on with this one, Pete!

Not really. Just because he’s not dominating in the NHL, doesnt mean he has to be sent to Hartford. I, for one, dont think AHL will benefit his as much as playing in the NHL against NHLers

Not really. Just because he’s not dominating in the NHL, doesnt mean he has to be sent to Hartford. I, for one, dont think AHL will benefit his as much as playing in the NHL against NHLers

I hear ya man, but Kaako struggled this season. As much as I wanted to see him and even though he's still "my boy", I think he would have benefited more from being in Hartford this year.

I mean....not that it can't be debated, but I've kinda changed my mind, now that I've seen him all season.

I hear ya man, but Kaako struggled this season. As much as I wanted to see him and even though he's still "my boy", I think he would have benefited more from being in Hartford this year.

I mean....not that it can't be debated, but I've kinda changed my mind, now that I've seen him all season.

Also to say that "just because he hasn't dominated" is a misnomer...He's barely been competitive and a total non-factor. If he wasn'ta #2 overall pick, he wouldn't have been here.

It’s eminently possible this year in the NHL is more valuable as a learning experience for him than spending the year in Hartford.

It’s also possible the opposite is true.

We’ll probably never know, so it’s a pretty pointless discussion.

It’s eminently possible this year in the NHL is more valuable as a learning experience for him than spending the year in Hartford.

It’s also possible the opposite is true.

We’ll probably never know, so it’s a pretty pointless discussion.

Truer words never before spoken.

But it's more possible the NHL was better for his development. Let's argue about that now!