• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Would it Take to Get Jack Eichel?

Flynn

Zibanejad doesn't fit age wise for Byffalo. Nonstarter.

Fox forced his way here. He wouldn't commit long term to Buffalo. That's a headache Buffalo wouldn't be looking for.

DeAngelo, Chytil, Kravtsov, both 1sts this year is close. That's a hell of a way to reset the roster now and quick if you're Buffalo. If I were them I'd absolutely take it. From a Rangers side, I'm on the fence. Committing that kind of cap to Eichel might mean Zibanejad is out in 2 years.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any rumors saying that he wants out?

Can’t imagine they’d want to move him. And for what purpose? They’re still building and he’s surely young enough to be a part of that. With him and Dahlin they have the two biggest pieces needed, a franchise C and a franchise D.

Spitballing though, any deal has to include a top young roster player, a teams best prospect, plus 2 firsts.

So...

One of Kakko/Chytil/Fox/DeAngelo/Shesty

Kravtsov is their top prospect. Maybe you could sell them on Miller/Lundkvist instead

Plus this years 2 1sts

That’s probably where it starts

Are there any rumors saying that he wants out?

Can’t imagine they’d want to move him. And for what purpose? They’re still building and he’s surely young enough to be a part of that. With him and Dahlin they have the two biggest pieces needed, a franchise C and a franchise D.

Spitballing though, any deal has to include a top young roster player, a teams best prospect, plus 2 firsts.

So...

One of Kakko/Chytil/Fox/DeAngelo/Shesty

Kravtsov is their top prospect. Maybe you could sell them on Miller/Lundkvist instead

Plus this years 2 1sts

That’s probably where it starts

The best comparable we've had for a world where Eichel demands a trade over the past 10 years is either Karlsson or Nash.

Nash got:

Brandon Dubinsky (3y remaining at 4.2m, coming off a .44 point/game season, age 25)

Artem Anisimov (1y remaining at 1.875m, coming off a .44 point/game season, age 22)

Tim Erixon (21 y/o top prospect)

1st round pick

Karlsson got:

Dylan DeMelo (2y remaining at 900k, coming off a .33 p/g season, age 25)

Chris Tierney (2y remaining at 2.937k, coming off a ~.5 p/g season, age 23)

Josh Norris (19 y/o top prospect)

Rudolfs Balcers (20 y/o mid-level prospect)

1st round pick

2 2nds

(we'll ignore the "don't you dare flip Karlsson back east" pick)

I don't know if we're over-estimating what an Eichel return might look like in the world where he demands a trade. Wouldn't it look more like Buchnevich, Strome, Miller, some picks?

The best comparable we've had for a world where Eichel demands a trade over the past 10 years is either Karlsson or Nash.

Nash got:

Brandon Dubinsky (3y remaining at 4.2m, coming off a .44 point/game season, age 25)

Artem Anisimov (1y remaining at 1.875m, coming off a .44 point/game season, age 22)

1st round pick

Karlsson got:

1st round pick

2 2nds

I don't know if we're over-estimating what an Eichel return might look like in the world where he demands a trade. Wouldn't it look more like Buchnevich, Strome, Miller, some picks?

Honest question, but does Eichel being 5 years younger than both Nash and Karlsson were at the time of their respective trades change the cost for him?

I think it does.

If I’m the Sabres, I’ve got to get more than what Nash brought back. And Karlsson too. San Jose was only getting a year of Karlsson for certain when they dealt for him.

So, whoever takes over as GM for Buffalo this summer, has got to get a great package.

I need your top prospect.

I need a really nice roster player 25 or under. Preferably 2 guys like that.

I need 2 1sts

And I probably try to get more too. Buffalo should shoot for the moon.

I’m shooting for the following,

Kakko

Fox

Kravtsov

2 1sts in 2020

Georgiev

Rangers say no to that for obvious reasons.

If it gets to a point where Buffalo is seriously considering this, I have to think there’s a bunch of teams involved.

Decent likelihood there’s some pretty great offers out there for him.

Nash got:

1st round pick

Karlsson got:

1st round pick

2 2nds

Nash and Karlsson were both 28 I believe when traded.

Eichel is 23.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

What?s an actual deal any of you would be comfortable with and would have a good shot of getting it done?

Something like:

Chytil, Georgiev, Miller, two 1st, Staal (cap) + a later pick or a B prospect.

Buffalo probably wont do that tho, but I aint giving up more.

Nash got:

1st round pick

Karlsson got:

1st round pick

2 2nds

Eichel is different than both of those cases isn't he?

Nash and Karlsson were 28. Nash was a 30 goal guy but he was not a point per game player. Karlsson was coming off a fairly significant injury with questions about his health moving forward.

Eichel is 23, signed for another 6 years, plays center, and is already an established PPG+ player. Apples and oranges here in my opinion.

Names like Fox, Shesty, and Kakko are non-starters for me. Can’t move any of those guys

But that doesn’t make a premium return impossible for Buffalo

While I’m reluctant on moving Kravtsov, he certainly fits the bill of a top prospect. He’s got a top-10 to 20 rating by all accounts and they’d have to give to get. I feel similarly on ADA.

If Buffalo would do so, I’d do the following:

ADA

Georgiev

Kravtsov

2 1sts.

Not sure what they cap would look like or if Buffalo would have to take back salary for the Rangers to fit that in.

Eichel is different than both of those cases isn't he?

Nash and Karlsson were 28. Nash was a 30 goal guy but he was not a point per game player. Karlsson was coming off a fairly significant injury with questions about his health moving forward.

Eichel is 23, signed for another 6 years, plays center, and is already an established PPG+ player. Apples and oranges here in my opinion.

Nash and Karlsson were both 28 I believe when traded.

Eichel is 23.

Sure, but these are probably the two most comparable deals since the lockout.

23 year old PPG centers with term don't get traded unless they demand it. There's not really a comparable. That said, this is a good example for where most teams might draw the line on an Eichel deal.

Sure, but these are probably the two most comparable deals since the lockout.

23 year old PPG centers with term don't get traded unless they demand it. There's not really a comparable. That said, this is a good example for where most teams might draw the line on an Eichel deal.

Hard to think of a precedent for that.

Not a guy at 23 with 6 years remaining on his contract at a good number for what he produces.

Obviously overshadowed by McJesus. This kid is the balls in his own right. He’d have gone 1st in every other draft in his decade. Only Matthews and maybe Dahlin would’ve jumped in front of him

• 2 months later...
Eichel, who was forced to speak to reporters over the phone because of a technical issue with the video chat, didn't hesitate to express the emotions that have consumed him since he discovered the Sabres would not be part of the National Hockey League's 24-team return-to-play format.

"Listen, I'm fed up with the losing, and I'm fed up and I'm frustrated," Eichel said. "It's definitely not an easy pill to swallow right now. It's been a tough couple of months. It's been a tough five years with where things have went."

He wasn't done, either. Although Eichel noted there were tangible signs of progress with the young roster and lauded coach Ralph Krueger for empowering the Sabres, the franchise's cornerstone might again be forced to watch from home as his counterparts compete for the league's ultimate prize.

"I'm a competitor," he continued. "I want to win every time I'm on the ice. I want to win the Stanley Cup every time I start a season. I've already started preparing for next season now. I'm already back on the ice. I'm already training. I'm already doing things to try and better myself for the start of next season whenever that is. ... But yeah, I'm definitely not in the greatest place where the last little bit went. It's definitely worn on me."

https://buffalonews.com/2020/05/28/buffalo-sabres-jack-eichel-nhl-playoffs-losing-drought/