• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Reality

Still have a ways to go, but the promise is definitely there, Vodka. I like what I'm seeing from a lot of the young guns. But there's plenty of work yet to do, and 3 contracts yet to expire after next season, as you are well aware of, sir. :thumbs:

The team deserves a ton of credit. Youngest team in the league just two years removed from the rebuild letter yet here we are in the hunt for the playoffs. Even if we do t end up getting this is a great thing for the kids to experience and makes the future look bright. Also we have only had Shesty for like 10 games. If we had him for a full season we are most likely already in a playoff spot. I give credit to Gorton and JD. The moves they made in the summer in particular Panarin and Fox were just franchise altering. I’m also glad they didn’t just give away Fast for a mid tier pick and obviously kept Kreider. Things are looking very good now and the future!!

If Columbus fades completely out of the playoffs, and the Rangers get in, Quinn should definitely get a ton of votes for Coach of the Year. Adding JD was one of the best things they could've done. He brings a ton of good vibes and hockey smarts to the organization. They already have an excellent farm system and with loads of picks the next couple of years, they have potential to stock it even more. Getting a first round pick for Skjei is pretty incredible too. Getting into the playoffs is a bonus, this season has been a huge step for this franchise. It really sucks about Shesterkin, but they Georgiev is playing great too.

They have all the intangibles necessary to contend, but the personnel is not quite there. They need a fourth line and they need to fix the smith/trouba slow as shit issue on defense. After that and you have a contender, and given the age and salary situation of these guys I think they're poised to contend for a long time if they can shore up those issues

They have all the intangibles necessary to contend, but the personnel is not quite there. They need a fourth line and they need to fix the smith/trouba slow as shit issue on defense. After that and you have a contender, and given the age and salary situation of these guys I think they're poised to contend for a long time if they can shore up those issues

I think this is the issue. Trouba was doing ok with Skjei. As much as I was fine with trading Skjei, Smith is still a downgrade at that position. Was kinda hoping we'd see Rykov or Hajek up instead of Smith.

Agreed. I think they have a fourth line, though, just not a third line. Lemieux-Howden-Gauthier is pretty effective as a young, heavy and fast line. They were good together. Howden getting bumped up displaces an already weak third line. PDG has brought stability to the third line, but Kakko and whatever combination of Chytil/Howden are a limited offensive threat. They looked better with Chytil there so maybe that line will normalize once Buch is back and Chytil drops back down.

I think this is the issue. Trouba was doing ok with Skjei. As much as I was fine with trading Skjei, Smith is still a downgrade at that position. Was kinda hoping we'd see Rykov or Hajek up instead of Smith.

I'm doubtful Rykov or Hajek are much of an upgrade on Smith. Hajek is faster but still makes questionable decisions with the puck. He's just a slower, more confused Brady Skjei. Rykov has been battling nagging injuries of late and is an incredibly slow straight-line skater. He's still working out the kinks of not getting burnt on any rush.

Keeping Kreider likely gave the mood in the locker room a bump. I also think it took guts to start playing the young goalies. I would think if the rebuild is going well, they should knock on the door of the playoffs like this.

I don't care how this season ends, I'm encouraged.

Columbus is VERY injured and Carolina doesn't have an NHL goalie. The stars are aligning for what could be an amazing finish.

Whether they make it or not, this has been an amazing season. Quinn deserves a ton of credit of pushing the right buttons, especially with the goalie situation, and the youngest team in the league.

The key is that they're having fun, it's a fresh start with majority of the new core players here now, minus Kravtsov and maybe Miller?

Maybe some additional adds.

Lundqvist has a pretty good shot at being part of the mix. And while Morgan Barron is no lock for a career NHLer, he's the captain and leading scorer of the 3rd ranked team (or 2nd depending on what week it is) in the NCAA with, by most accounts, a strong defensive game and net front presence. May get a good look at him in the Frozen Four in April. Upside of solid 3rd line wing? Lastly, I'm getting two distinct messages on Matthew Robertson: either, that he's having a meh season, not really going forward or back; or, that he's living up to the hype, playing a poised and effective pp and pk role on a team that could contend for the Memorial Cup, a la Kournianos this morning. https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/the-draft-analyst-matthew-robertson-living-up-to-last-years-draft-hype/. He was a steal at #46 and could have gone top 20. Perhaps even a dark horse to jump Hajek and Rykov on the left side at some point.

I'm pretty inspired by Ryan Lindgren, that a kid without a lot of flashy chrome can step up and seize the opportunity by pretty much force of will. So there may be some surprises yet.

Maybe some additional adds.

Lundqvist has a pretty good shot at being part of the mix. And while Morgan Barron is no lock for a career NHLer, he's the captain and leading scorer of the 3rd ranked team (or 2nd depending on what week it is) in the NCAA with, by most accounts, a strong defensive game and net front presence. May get a good look at him in the Frozen Four in April. Upside of solid 3rd line wing? Lastly, I'm getting two distinct messages on Matthew Robertson: either, that he's having a meh season, not really going forward or back; or, that he's living up to the hype, playing a poised and effective pp and pk role on a team that could contend for the Memorial Cup, a la Kournianos this morning. https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/the-draft-analyst-matthew-robertson-living-up-to-last-years-draft-hype/. He was a steal at #46 and could have gone top 20. Perhaps even a dark horse to jump Hajek and Rykov on the left side at some point.

I'm pretty inspired by Ryan Lindgren, that a kid without a lot of flashy chrome can step up and seize the opportunity by pretty much force of will. So there may be some surprises yet.

Forgot about Lundkvist

Reality is teams go on hot streaks... and cold streaks. We are blistering hot - scoring 4+ goals in 9 out of 14 games in February, and getting stellar goaltending. Yes, 4+ goals in 9 out of 14 games(!!!!), a couple games with 3 goals, and a 1-0 win over Detroit.

Is this scoring production sustainable, and will our goaltending continue to cover for giving up 40+ shots a game, given how tough our schedule is over the next 20 games? I wouldn't bet on it, but I hope we ride the run into the playoffs.