• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The State Of Rock Music

NYR2711

I was just listening to The Jasta Show Podcast, I am a little behind, and he had Grant Random from Octane on SiriusXM on and they started talking about the state of rock, and how the word needs to be retired because there are so many genres in rock, and it got me thinking. I found it interesting what they said and realized that they are 100% correct. Grant was saying how whats on so called rock stations really isn't what rock is, its more pop than anything, which is fine. Everyone should be able to make whatever music they want, but they should change the name. To have 21 Pilots, Imagine Dragons, Korn, Slipknot, Gojira and Ghost all considered the same genre just shouldn't be. They are all different sounds. I totally agree with them. We see what the Grammys are like, and what who win best rock, and it makes true rock fans mad because it sounds nothing like what we are used to being called rock. They also were talking about how fans get mad when a band sounds different on different albums, and how fans need to allow these bands to evolve with the times so its not the same thing over and over again. Grant was saying that the way they come up with the top rock songs is bad as well because its based off of what is played on local rock stations, and how a lot of bands don't get played because of this, and how there is still secretly payola still around. I just find this an interesting concept and totally agree in killing the name rock and coming up with these subgenres instead.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say dead, but it certainly isn't growing. Music evolves and changes over time. We are in a time of transition I think. The demographics for traditional rock is aging and the newer generations have moved on to the new sound, the new groove, the new beat...whatever you want to call it. Their funny-bone is being tickled by the new thing.

PS - My son's girlfriend is only going to be 21 and she has a fantastic appreciation of rock. Why? That's what her mom listened to in the house and in the car. Music was always on and that's what she heard. Still, she appreciates the new sound and the new artists too. I like her for her open mind on sound. (She's a kick-ass typography/graphics artist plus ink, pen and charcoal too. Art is in her blood.)

Yeah, I?ve listened to ?heavy? music since the early 90s. Never really put it in the rock category. Perhaps ?hard rock? would be the way I described it to someone. Meanwhile it was more hardcore, nu-metal, heavy metal. I feel like we had a discussion on genres and subgenres before. These days, when someone asks me my music preference my answer is: ?hardcore?. Then I name off a few bands and people basically have no clue. Lol. I like it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yeah, I’ve listened to “heavy” music since the early 90s. Never really put it in the rock category. Perhaps “hard rock” would be the way I described it to someone. Meanwhile it was more hardcore, nu-metal, heavy metal. I feel like we had a discussion in genres and subgenres before. These days, when someone asks me my music preference my answer is: “hardcore”. Then I name off a few bands and people basically have no clue. Lol. I like it that way.

I just say "Devil shit."

It's accurate, and spares me from being dragged into awkward attempts to find common ground.

If I said "I like heavy metal," or "I like hard rock," it just invites them to say silly shit like "oh, like Imagine Dragons?" which forces me to explain the differences bween metal genres. Hard pass.

"Evil, Devil music."

They go "Oh, uh, that's too much for me."

I also like it that way.

• Like 1

I just say "Devil shit."

It's accurate, and spares me from being dragged into awkward attempts to find common ground.

If I said "I like heavy metal," or "I like hard rock," it just invites them to say silly shit like "oh, like Imagine Dragons?" which forces me to explain the differences bween metal genres. Hard pass.

"Evil, Devil music."

They go "Oh, uh, that's too much for me."

I also like it that way.

Nice! The look of confusion or disengagement when discussing music is always good for a laugh. The older I get the more I see it too. Even with adults similar in age. I?m thinking to myself what kind of shit are they listening to if they don?t know about ?my? bands.

My new neighbor across the street must of heard me blasting music (Scars on Broadway I believe) in the garage one day and a few days later he was like ?Wow, that?s some interesting music you enjoy?. Again, no clue what he pictured me liking....Nickleback perhaps? Lol.

Lithium is awesome. On my 10-12 hour car rides around the state, there are days when I just push the 'next' button on my Sirius radio and listen to every music channel for 1 minute. Sometimes, the tune makes me stay longer, but I try to sample everything our there. I find the angry metal groan just as interesting as some of the downstream rap lyrics. "I ain't been shit, never had shit, never been nuttin'..." I find it interesting what bands sing about. I do miss the protest music and politically charged lyrics of songs like "Ohio" since they brought about awareness and educated young ears. I'm not sure what today's message is but it seems like there is a lot of pent up anger about.

I think this is pretty much the case in all genres. I'm a country guy primarily, and there's really nothing in the mainstream in that genre worth listening to since mid 90's Alan Jackson and King George.

My youngest and I drive around in my pickup and listen to mostly Marty Robbins.

I think this is pretty much the case in all genres. I'm a country guy primarily, and there's really nothing in the mainstream in that genre worth listening to since mid 90's Alan Jackson and King George.

My youngest and I drive around in my pickup and listen to mostly Marty Robbins.

Agree. Same with hip hop. Maybe 4-5 guys worth listening through an album.

But, I grew up with Biggie, Jay Z, Tupac, Nas, Wu... Nothing with even measure up.

House music seems to be getting better, tho.

Agree. Same with hip hop. Maybe 4-5 guys worth listening through an album.

But, I grew up with Biggie, Jay Z, Tupac, Nas, Wu... Nothing with even measure up.

House music seems to be getting better, tho.

Nope. Even I used to like the rappers you named. They told stories, now it's 99% about what things they have/will buy.

I do get some house influence through my oldest son, I don't hate some of it, but it's usually real esoteric shit from some DJ in Oslo.

Man, I really want to actually take part in this convo since I love music, but I lose interest as soon as I get lost in the minutiae of subgenres. And there are so many bands that blur genres these days.

I have made the mistake of telling people I listen to "metal" when in actuality I fucking hate metal (I have soft spots for christian metalcore, obviously) and guitar solos and two guitar bands and absurd pinch harmonics and downtuning to A and 7 strings and 8 strings and abusing the low strings.

So I stopped telling people I like metal, but I like very aggressive loud music with awesome guitar licks and pounding drums. And I like RodyGab and Poppy and Camille Saint-Saens and Vivaldi and The Bad Plus and Sofi Tukker and idk, the list goes on.

Man, I really want to actually take part in this convo since I love music, but I lose interest as soon as I get lost in the minutiae of subgenres. And there are so many bands that blur genres these days.

I have made the mistake of telling people I listen to "metal" when in actuality I fucking hate metal (I have soft spots for christian metalcore, obviously) and guitar solos and two guitar bands and absurd pinch harmonics and downtuning to A and 7 strings and 8 strings and abusing the low strings.

So I stopped telling people I like metal, but I like very aggressive loud music with awesome guitar licks and pounding drums. And I like RodyGab and Poppy and Camille Saint-Saens and Vivaldi and The Bad Plus and Sofi Tukker and idk, the list goes on.

First time i've ever seen someone mention The Bad Plus. They're dope.

Just like everything else, rock evolved. I'm a big alternative/grunge fan and in terms of bearing the torch of rock, bands in that genre fit the mold of what a rock musician is, more than what billboard calls rock music. Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Muse(early), that's all rock to me. Imagine Dragons and 21 Pilots, not so much.

There are sub-genres under the "rock" umbrella. This isn't a new "issue." Yes and The Rolling Stones are both rock bands - Yes is progressive rock and The Rolling Stones are rock and roll, blues rock, etc.. Will you hear Yes on a classic rock (another subgenre) radio station? Maybe a couple of times per week. Will you hear The Rolling Stones? Yes, everyday - if not multiple times per day.

So that's the same as 21 Pilots, Imagine Dragons, Korn, Slipknot, Gojira and Ghost being all rock - whereas 21 Pilots and Imagine Dragons is pop rock/electronic rock and Ghost and Slipknot is heavy metal. Even Ghost and Slipknot aren't the same.

It's all just parsing words. But the point is all of these bands are rock bands.

As for the radio, they're just going to play what's popular. You seem to listen to Sirius, so there are plenty of channels on that platform for lesser played music under the rock umbrella.

There are sub-genres under the "rock" umbrella. This isn't a new "issue." Yes and The Rolling Stones are both rock bands - Yes is progressive rock and The Rolling Stones are rock and roll, blues rock, etc.. Will you hear Yes on a classic rock (another subgenre) radio station? Maybe a couple of times per week. Will you hear The Rolling Stones? Yes, everyday - if not multiple times per day.

So that's the same as 21 Pilots, Imagine Dragons, Korn, Slipknot, Gojira and Ghost being all rock - whereas 21 Pilots and Imagine Dragons is pop rock/electronic rock and Ghost and Slipknot is heavy metal. Even Ghost and Slipknot aren't the same.

It's all just parsing words. But the point is all of these bands are rock bands.

As for the radio, they're just going to play what's popular. You seem to listen to Sirius, so there are plenty of channels on that platform for lesser played music under the rock umbrella.

Right. This feels more like more general complaint that there is no "good" rock on the radio anymore, which is true (in New York).

I consider myself an alternate music fan and grew up on Led Zepplin and as I've gotten older have taken to some ambient/classical stuff like Nihls Framm, Olufur Arnolds and Winged Victory for the Sullen.

Tempting to see Body Count with ICE-T at Webster Hall and I bought his CD Body Count ASAP as it was being banned due the song "Cop Killer"

Right. This feels more like more general complaint that there is no "good" rock on the radio anymore, which is true (in New York).

Seriously. Thank fucking goodness for Sirius because the only remotely decent rock station near me is 94.3 Shark...and it is not that good. The music isn't bad but they play the same 35-40 songs over and over and over and over.