• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Choo Choo — All Aboard the Playoffs Train!

Phil

They're going to make it, and get absolutely worked in the first round.

Fuck it, it's 4 extra games.

Probably. But looking at the flip side of it, there's a ton of experience to be had for this young squad, firstly from scrapping until the last game of the regular season to make the playoffs and then the experience of playoff games and the increased intensity. And maybe I'm being overly optimistic here, but even with our leaky defense, I'm of the opinion that Shesterkin is quite capable of stealing a playoff series. Anything after that is just gravy.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably. But looking at the flip side of it, there's a ton of experience to be had for this young squad, firstly from scrapping until the last game of the regular season to make the playoffs and then the experience of playoff games and the increased intensity. And maybe I'm being overly optimistic here, but even with our leaky defense, I'm of the opinion that Shesterkin is quite capable of stealing a playoff series. Anything after that is just gravy.
I hear you. I'm rooting for them to make it because at this point we're not getting a great pick and we can package one of ours to move up. So no sense tanking.

That said I don't have the faith some others do in Shesty's 10 games of NHL experience to steal anything vs the top teams in the east. Even with Panarin the god killer.

They're just too awful defensively and that's OK against bad teams but you can't give up 35 shots in the playoffs every night and win, IMO.

They wouldn't win any series. Might not even win a game. But that wouldn't really be the point.

To make the playoffs this year would be one of the most amazing stories and probably puts Panarin in the lead for MVP.

Agree. Making the playoffs is a concrete message to the youngest team in the league that they're way ahead of schedule and the sky is the limit in the years ahead.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

They wouldn't win any series. Might not even win a game. But that wouldn't really be the point.

To make the playoffs this year would be one of the most amazing stories and probably puts Panarin in the lead for MVP.

Don't disagree here.

The record through the first two thirds of the season is of little importance in evaluating how a team might do in the playoffs, and if the Rangers make it, they will have had one of the best records in the league through the last third. First seeds losing to eighth seeds has been quite common since that matchup was started in I think 1993. Last year, both No. 1 seeds lost to No. 8.

The Rangers went 1-6-0 against the Flyers in the 1985=86 regular season.

In the age of parity, the No.1 seeds are not the powerhouses that the No. 1 seeds were years ago. Tampa's "record setting" season last year was nothing in terms of regulation wins compared to top teams from the past. No. 1 seeds really are not scary monsters.

If shesty is healthy and back to normal, not only do we get out of round 1 (if we get there), we're a contender...u think 9-1 is an accident?

It takes a lot more than a hot goalie and two stars on offense to make a team a contender. While the team has been great of late, this coming month is the real test. The Rangers are 8-2 in their last 10 but only 4 of those games were against playoff teams which they went 2-2 against. Most of the remaining 20 games are against teams set to be in the playoffs. How they compete against them will be more telling of their likely playoff performance than beating on teams that weren't in any race.

Regular season is used to determine play-off seeding. Period. Probably has little to do with how a particular team competes in the play-offs. Every team starts off @ 0-0. Solid goaltending. Above average defense by every player usually determines the outcome, imho. It's funny how people all of a sudden, are jumping with joy about this team's surge.

I’ve officially converted from “play well but lose and lose often to ensure a high draft pick” to “LET’S FUCKING GOOOOO!!!”

This is where I'm at as well. Beginning of the season: Ehhh...sure you could make the playoffs but a high draft pick would be nice.

Now: CHOO CHOO MOTHER FUCKER

I don't buy into the tanking bullshit. I will never root for them to lose. The same goes for the players. Instilling a mindset to lose is not good, especially for a young team. Plus, if you're a professional athlete, it should be in your blood to go out onto the ice (or field) and win.

...Never rooted for them to lose, Sharpy. More like "If they win, great!! ...if they lose ...eh, no biggie, we get a better #1".

This is where I'm at as well. Beginning of the season: Ehhh...sure you could make the playoffs but a high draft pick would be nice.

Now: CHOO CHOO MOTHER FUCKER

Philly's got where I was at! This is pretty spot on. :thumbs:

Really? I didn't watch Brendan Smith and think "trainwreck" last night. I thought "serviceable".

I watched Staal and thought trainwreck though.

Hard to think how anyone could be worse than Staal. Not physical, treats the puck like a live grenade, cannot make a breakout pass to save his life. On the 2nd goal, Georgiev looked like he was cursing him out in an Eastern European language for what ever the fuck he was doing.

I remember a 1986 Rangers team that was also very young that knocked out the heavily favored Flyers and Washington Caps that year on the back of a hot goalie (VBK) and inspired play by some yutes (Ridley, Miller, Sandstrom, Brooke, Jeep, etc..). Rangers only had 78 points that year while the Caps & Flyers had 107 and 110 respectively. So the point is once you get to the dance anything can happen, especially a team that is playing their best hockey toward the end of the season.

Makes the point the intradivision playoff setup is pretty stupid.