• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jacob Trouba Hit on Michael Dal Colle

Phil

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely illegal by NHL headshot rules, so makes sense that there's no supplemental discipline.

Wow! We agree twice in the same month. Dal Colle should not have been skating with his head down like that, but I don't know how any hit where you lead with your shoulder like that is considered a "clean" hit. I watched the video several times and tried to slow it down; it even looks like Trouba left his feet which is definitely against the rules.

I love a good open ice hit as much as everyone else, but hits like that cause concussions which is not good for the game.

Wow! We agree twice in the same month. Dal Colle should not have been skating with his head down like that, but I don't know how any hit where you lead with your shoulder like that is considered a "clean" hit. I watched the video several times and tried to slow it down; it even looks like Trouba left his feet which is definitely against the rules.

I love a good open ice hit as much as everyone else, but hits like that cause concussions which is not good for the game.

Not sure what you're talking about here. Almost all hits are with a leading shoulder. Also, his feet left the ice after impact, not launching himself into the other player.

Trouba has let up on half a dozen of those this year where he could have murdered somebody, seems like his emotions took over here.

The hit was as clean as an open ice hit can possibly be. It was quite violent, and it seems like you could make a case that he wasn't simply "seperating his man from the puck" he was trying to destroy him.

I don't shed a lot of tears for hockey players that get paid millions to perform. I view them as performing circus monkeys, they're here on their own accord and aren't subject to any labour laws or OHS laws that I am, so I dont understand why people get upset about hits and fighting.

However, if you're going to try to seriously protect players, this type of hit has to be illegal. It's predatory and dangerous.

That said, please give me some more.

• Like 1

Color me surprised the league isn't going to take a look based on the end result if nothing else. Some days it matters if the guy is skating with his head down and some days it doesn't. Certainly glad it was ruled clean on the ice with no further review. Hopefully a reminder to our own guys to keep your head up!

As someone that lives with a head injury I do have a little more sympathy for the guy that gets concussed (if he did). Now if he separates a shoulder or whatever that's way different to me.

Trouba has let up on half a dozen of those this year where he could have murdered somebody, seems like his emotions took over here.

The hit was as clean as an open ice hit can possibly be. It was quite violent, and it seems like you could make a case that he wasn't simply "seperating his man from the puck" he was trying to destroy him.

I don't shed a lot of tears for hockey players that get paid millions to perform. I view them as performing circus monkeys, they're here on their own accord and aren't subject to any labour laws or OHS laws that I am, so I dont understand why people get upset about hits and fighting.

However, if you're going to try to seriously protect players, this type of hit has to be illegal. It's predatory and dangerous.

That said, please give me some more.

By the NHL rulebook, that hit is illegal.

That's the only point I'm trying to make. Call it clean, call it dirty, say that he had no other choice other than to make the hit, that hit breaks the NHL rulebook I don't even see how that could be argued.

It was legal, and I'm tired of the way every big legal hit is met by jumping the guy for a fight these days. Need more than instigator penalties to stop it.

I get that in theory to what seems like almost every hard hit being challenged. But that had to look dirty as hell on the ice based on the result so I would expect someone on our team to respond if one of our guys we actually cared about ended up destroyed on the ice.

Watch it again. He doesn’t leave his feet until AFTER the impact.

I'm still waiting for the people who are arguing that the hit is legal to tell me how a shoulder to the head (principally) became legal...when did that happen?

Only argument that could be made is that the hit to the head wasn?t intentional, solely because of the 4 inch height difference.

I'm still waiting for the people who are arguing that the hit is legal to tell me how a shoulder to the head (principally) became legal...when did that happen?

to me, its the equivalent of a guy turning right before he gets hit. Did he get hit in the back? Sure. Is that technically illegal? Yes. If you look at the primary picture when the video isnt playing, he's lined up to hit him in the chest. The fact that Dal Colle squirms and gets his head in the way is not on Trouba.

Upon further review I agree he absolutely nails the guy right in the noggin.

I'm reduced to arguing I don't believe that should be illegal, consider Dal Colle is skating with his head down.

But point definitely taken.