• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jacob Trouba Hit on Michael Dal Colle

Phil

Upon further review I agree he absolutely nails the guy right in the noggin.

I'm reduced to arguing I don't believe that should be illegal, consider Dal Colle is skating with his head down.

But point definitely taken.

Bingo. My issue isn't with the hit, it's with the rules (and DoPS interpretation of them being so inconsistent).

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First point of contact ≠ principal point of contact.

I think the principal point of contact is Dal Colle's chest with the head being the first point of contact.

Yup. This. Additionally, they removed the "principal point of contact" wording from the rulebook for lack of clarity. It now reads, in it's entirety:

Rule 48 – Illegal Check to the Head

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an

opponent’s head where the head was the main point of contact and

such contact to the head was avoidable is not permitted.

In determining whether contact with an opponent's head was

avoidable, the circumstances of the hit including the following shall be

considered:

(i) Whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the

opponent’s body and the head was not "picked" as a result of poor

timing, poor angle of approach, or unnecessary extension of the

body upward or outward.

SECTION 6 – PHYSICAL FOULS

NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE OFFICIAL RULES 2018-2019

(ii) Whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by

assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full

body check unavoidable.

(iii) Whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body

or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way

that significantly contributed to the head contact.

The head was the first point of contact, but barely. The top of the shoulder did make some contact with the bottom of the chin. However, this in and of itself does not make it an illegal check. The head, in this case, was absolutely not the main point of contact. 98% of the check was shoulder to chest.

Section i: Trouba attempted to hit squarely through the body via shoulder to chest. At no point did he pick the head, nor was it a bad angle or approach.

Section ii: Del Calle put himself in a vulnerable position with his head down.

Section iii: Del Calle materially changed body position. He mishandled the puck off the pass, which forced him to put his head down and turn his entire body towards center ice instead of going his initial route which was up the wing.

By the rulebook, this was absolutely not an illegal check.

Bingo. My issue isn't with the hit, it's with the rules (and DoPS interpretation of them being so inconsistent).

You're right, man. The rule is the issue. When I watched the hit, I saw hands down, stick down, and shoulder to what I thought was the chest. Dal Colle had his head down, and when you skate with your head down, your chin drops into your chest. That's kinda why they always tell you, "don't skate with your head down" in the first place.

I thought the hit was a good hockey hit....and it was!

Like Pete said though, as far as the rules are stated, it was considered an "illegal hit", which should be addressed. Because a play like that, which happens in a blink of an eye, cannot be blamed on what's considered standard operating procedure for a physical defenseman. If an offensive player plays with his head down, more often than not, he's gonna take one to the chin/head. There's no place else to target them to lay a hit on them if they're skating in a straight line at you....other than maybe target the legs, which is even worse in my book.

Anyway, the rule needs to be looked at, because that was a good solid hockey hit and that shit should be part of the game in my book.

Yup. This. Additionally, they removed the "principal point of contact" wording from the rulebook for lack of clarity. It now reads, in it's entirety:

The head was the first point of contact, but barely. The top of the shoulder did make some contact with the bottom of the chin. However, this in and of itself does not make it an illegal check. The head, in this case, was absolutely not the main point of contact. 98% of the check was shoulder to chest.

Section i: Trouba attempted to hit squarely through the body via shoulder to chest. At no point did he pick the head, nor was it a bad angle or approach.

Section ii: Del Calle put himself in a vulnerable position with his head down.

Section iii: Del Calle materially changed body position. He mishandled the puck off the pass, which forced him to put his head down and turn his entire body towards center ice instead of going his initial route which was up the wing.

By the rulebook, this was absolutely not an illegal check.

Nice write up, however the hit was avoidable on Trouba end and it's been established that the onus is on the hitter there.

Also completely disagree that the head wasn't that main point of contact (whatever you want to call it... Principal or whatever else).

I mean there's a reason players are lashing out at DoPS. No one knows what gets supplemental discipline vs not.

The shitty thing is Trouba has 3 options. 1) Light him up and risk the ever evolving definition of a major penalty and/or suspension 1.a) Light him up and hope the geometry works out and you don't get called. 2) Avoid the hit peeling off, but risk a trip or knee on knee 3) make a hard right and let him blow right by

I hate the head shots, but the puck carrier has to have some responsibility for not having his head up. The defender is really in a tough spot in a play that is moving really freaking fast. All that being said and I'm being honest, if Dal Colle hit Fox in a carbon copy play, I'd be livid.

Nice write up, however the hit was avoidable on Trouba end and it's been established that the onus is on the hitter there.

Also completely disagree that the head wasn't that main point of contact (whatever you want to call it... Principal or whatever else).

I mean there's a reason players are lashing out at DoPS. No one knows what gets supplemental discipline vs not.

Your argument was that it was illegal per the rulebook, which is incorrect for the reasons I laid out. There's no confusion. Just incorrect knowledge of the rulebook. And terminology matters. Main point of contact != principal point of contact, so it's not whatever you want to call it. It matters.

• Like 1

Your argument was that it was illegal per the rulebook, which is incorrect for the reasons I laid out. There's no confusion. Just incorrect knowledge of the rulebook. And terminology matters. Main point of contact != principal point of contact, so it's not whatever you want to call it. It matters.
Agree to disagree just because I have no intention of wasting my morning when neither one of us is going to change their minds.

The shitty thing is Trouba has 3 options. 1) Light him up and risk the ever evolving definition of a major penalty and/or suspension 1.a) Light him up and hope the geometry works out and you don't get called. 2) Avoid the hit peeling off, but risk a trip or knee on knee 3) make a hard right and let him blow right by

I hate the head shots, but the puck carrier has to have some responsibility for not having his head up. The defender is really in a tough spot in a play that is moving really freaking fast. All that being said and I'm being honest, if Dal Colle hit Fox in a carbon copy play, I'd be livid.

I think we would all be livid, but not because it's dirty.

Maybe if we had more good, solid, open-ice checks delivered similar to this one we wouldn't be so focused on this one hit. The NHL has evolved into a skill game and less of a physical game - and for many good reasons - but taking hits out of the game would be a travesty IMO. Where has the good hip-check gone? You see one every once in a while.

If Dal Colle hit Fox in a carbon copy play, I'd also be livid. If no one responded by feeding him his teeth. I'm also honest — that I love old school, physical hockey.

I was actually impressed by Pageau, he stepped up as a welterweight fighting a light heavy weight. No better way to endear yourself to a new club, score a goal and fight in response to a hit. I'm actually surprised they call the instigator penalty on him ( I thought Lemieux was the only one who got that called)

If Dal Colle hit Fox in a carbon copy play, I'd also be livid. If no one responded by feeding him his teeth. I'm also honest — that I love old school, physical hockey.

Anisimov got drilled like this every game. He skated around with his head down, so I didnt have issue with the hits.

The whole "leaving the feet" thing is ridiculously hard to argue in either direction for most hits.. Sure you have some clear launching violations, but for the majority of these hits simple physics is going to result in both feet being off the ice for a time.

The whole "leaving the feet" thing is ridiculously hard to argue in either direction for most hits.. Sure you have some clear launching violations, but for the majority of these hits simple physics is going to result in both feet being off the ice for a time.

It also makes no sense. You can't leave your feet. Your skates leave the playing surface. You don't leave your feet.

In my experience, most people just don't understand physics. Watch any body check. Not just the devastating ones. Skates leave the playing surface all the time as a result of momentum. The key is whether or not you propel yourself upward through a hit before you make contact.

• Like 1

It also makes no sense. You can't leave your feet. Your skates leave the playing surface. You don't leave your feet.

In my experience, most people just don't understand physics. Watch any body check. Not just the devastating ones. Skates leave the playing surface all the time as a result of momentum. The key is whether or not you propel yourself upward through a hit before you make contact.

That’s fair.

And his feet don’t really come off the ice until the follow through.

But the league is so inconsistent I wonder how much of a distinction they make.