• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

So, Who's the Captain?

Sod16

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have figured that if he signed, the C would accompany. While both are aces in the room, Kreider's willingness to step up and speak seems to cut a somewhat bigger swath. Being the pied piper in the gym and a role model for the kids - i.e. the way he swatted Buch in Russian the other day - has him as the favorite on my card. (Would have said Zib at the beginning of the season.) Either could do well.

Zib.

Kreider takes himself too seriously and I want no part of the disappearing act "under the weight of the C" that always seems to happen to these guys.

Zib seems way more even keeled and shows up every night, so you remove that variable from the equation.

Yeah Zib would be my first choice but contract status might mean it goes to Kreider instead. I'm fine with either but I think Zibanejad 's exemplary play tilts it in his favor.

His contract status 2 seasons from now should not have a bearing on the captaincy or not. Right now he is the 2nd best player on the team, and from what I can see part of the core leadership group. What I was saying was that in addition to all of the other factors(he is playing with his good friends, has already made a pile of money, etc....), the captaincy can be one more thing that keeps him grounded in NY while the Rangers are in the middle of their Cup run instead of just trying to get as much money as possible as a Free Agent.

Assuming that his production stays where it is for the next two seasons, I would think 8-9 million X 6-7 years would be a fair value contract.

Sometimes I think the whole naming a captain thing is a bit overrated. As long as you have good chemistry and leadership on the team, just leave it alone. Sometimes actually naming one, and putting that 'C" on that jersey can do more harm than good. I think McDonagh was very uncomfortable with it, even going back to naming Brian Leetch the captain, was also a mistake to me.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if they dangled the C in the contract negotiation with Kreider.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Now that you mention it, RG...it sounds logical. I just think guys like Kreider (like Pete mentioned above), have a tendency to get distracted with that kinda stuff. I just leave Kreider do his thing and let a guy like Zibby rule the roost. That's my opinion though.

I've liked the fact that Zib has voiced accountability on some of his pressers and he just keeps getting better. 1.25 p/pg is the same as Crosby! Zib would be my first choice and him having it would not effect his play in any way, IMO. That said, if it's given to Kreider I wouldn't be unhappy about it.

His contract status 2 seasons from now should not have a bearing on the captaincy or not. Right now he is the 2nd best player on the team, and from what I can see part of the core leadership group. What I was saying was that in addition to all of the other factors(he is playing with his good friends, has already made a pile of money, etc....), the captaincy can be one more thing that keeps him grounded in NY while the Rangers are in the middle of their Cup run instead of just trying to get as much money as possible as a Free Agent.

Assuming that his production stays where it is for the next two seasons, I would think 8-9 million X 6-7 years would be a fair value contract.

If he keeps playing like the last two seasons he deserves a lot more than 8 mill. Under 10m would be a discount for his next contract.

He's 11th in points for centers (and he missed 13 games with injury). 6th in P/PG only behind Draisatl, McDavid, Eichel, MacKinnon and Malkin. And he's a really good defensive players aswell. Very good on PP and PK. He's probably the league's most underrated(and underpaid) player. He's one of the best centers in the league.

If he keeps playing like the last two seasons he deserves a lot more than 8 mill. Under 10m would be a discount for his next contract.

He's 11th in points for centers (and he missed 13 games with injury). 6th in P/PG only behind Draisatl, McDavid, Eichel, MacKinnon and Malkin. And he's a really good defensive players aswell. Very good on PP and PK. He's probably the league's most underrated(and underpaid) player. He's one of the best centers in the league.

MacKinnon and Pastrnak would like a word...