• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trade Brady Skjei to Carolina for 2020 1st Rd Pick

Phil

I'm calling bullshit on that one. Fox has been better than ADA and I don't think its debatable.

Don't get me wrong, Fox has made some mistakes, but Tony is still a defensive liability. Love the guy, but his value lies solely in his offensive puck moving ability.

Better how? Not on the whole. Maybe defensively, certainly not on Deangelo's level offensively, never will be, either.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe defensively? Yes, definitely...by a good margin.

I can easily see Fox getting more points than Tony going forward. The guy has elite vision and passing skill. Tony has really good offensive instinct as well, but I'm not seeing it being much, or any, greater than Fox's.

Time will tell.

Good news is now Gorton can sign ADA and we will have two really good young D to argue over who is better.

Oh, obviously, once CBJ and FLA take CAR and TOR's playoff spots, respectively, we're rooting for the hilariously unlikely lottery scenario in which we win, CAR gets 2, and TOR gets 3.

Sort of best case scenario. We would get Toronto's 2021 1st instead. The conditional on the Toronto pick when Carolina received it was it becomes a 2021 first if the 2020 1st is top 10.

So then if Toronto misses in 2021 and gets 1st overall it would be ours. That would be pretty sweet.

I'm calling bullshit on that one. Fox has been better than ADA and I don't think its debatable.

Don't get me wrong, Fox has made some mistakes, but Tony is still a defensive liability. Love the guy, but his value lies solely in his offensive puck moving ability.

Agree to disagree here I guess. DeAngelo has improved from bad to decent defensively. Certainly not a liability like he was. I think it's an outdated view to say he is a defensive liability. Offensively DeAngelo has been clearly more productive.

Future wise, I would be surprised if Fox doesn't eventually pass him up. But it's not now.

Sort of best case scenario. We would get Toronto's 2021 1st instead. The conditional on the Toronto pick when Carolina received it was it becomes a 2021 first if the 2020 1st is top 10.

So then if Toronto misses in 2021 and gets 1st overall it would be ours. That would be pretty sweet.

Yeah, I think a lot of the reason why this isn't a finalized trade yet is figuring out that sort of thing.

I'd not bank on Toronto being this messy next year though.

What if they were discussing a Lundqvist trade and then got news Igor was hurt. Who knows how long he will really be out for. Reassessed in a couple weeks is very loose. Might need both Georgiev and Lundqvist the rest of the season now.

They could have easily gotten a back up type on the cheap. I love Lundqvist, but if they had any chance to deal him, I'd assume they would have done so.

Agree to disagree here I guess. DeAngelo has improved from bad to decent defensively. Certainly not a liability like he was. I think it's an outdated view to say he is a defensive liability. Offensively DeAngelo has been clearly more productive.

Future wise, I would be surprised if Fox doesn't eventually pass him up. But it's not now.

DeAngelo is Tyson Barrie-esque. Fox is on the path to being a much more complete player.

Deangelo's issues were mental. Maybe still are mental, but he's harnassed that this season.

Fox may have a better career, may be more consistent when all is said and done, but go look at their bodies of work. Nobody, not a single NA D man currently active has a resume that even comes close to Deangelo offensively. He was a .5 ppg Dman in the USHL when he went to camp at FOURTEEN.

He could go completely off the rails tomorrow for all I know, but right now he's indispensable.

Tony's point production has slowed.

He is getting an additional minute of PP time/game and his shooting % is twice that of Fox. That % will eventually even out. I think its splitting hairs as to who is better offensively, but its not really as close defensively. Fox is better and I don't see this kid reverting.

I've been on this kid since watching him at Canes rookie camp a few years ago. It was just obvious that he was the best player on the ice. If he didn't come in and play like he has, I would have been blown away.

Deangelo's issues were mental. Maybe still are mental, but he's harnassed that this season.

Fox may have a better career, may be more consistent when all is said and done, but go look at their bodies of work. Nobody, not a single NA D man currently active has a resume that even comes close to Deangelo offensively. He was a .5 ppg Dman in the USHL when he went to camp at FOURTEEN.

He could go completely off the rails tomorrow for all I know, but right now he's indispensable.

He may go on to be a top 5 point producer for D and that carries a ton of weight, but he isn't a good defender. Certainly not as good as Fox. Overall, Fox is and will be the more valuable player. I could be wrong, but I think the organization feels the same way.

Smith blows and he should never play another game for this organization. Skjei was a good kid. He always played hard. I thought his off-season conditioning was garbage. He always stunk the first 25 games to start the season. Better off giving the money to TDA who is elite on the PP. I'm surprised nobody took Staal. He's played well this year and he would have cost nothing. Basically a salary dump. Considering how teams were over paying for players. He would have been a good bargain. Once again Lou showed he's a senile buffoon and was washed up years ago as a GM.

This doesnt make sense.

If Carolina doesn't have a competent scouting department, perhaps it does. Getting a 1st for him looks like a total steal.

Skjei off a great rookie season got a ridiculous contract. His stats look fine, but his lack of aggression in front of his net the last couple of years is disgusting. Like some players here-DelZotto, Hayes, Vesey, Smith all come to mind-looks like he forgot the working hard doesn't stop when you make the big club.Which is one thing nobody will ever say about Kreider. Looked way to comfortable and often glided. May be off this he'll get his ass back in gear.

Smith blows and he should never play another game for this organization. Skjei was a good kid. He always played hard. I thought his off-season conditioning was garbage. He always stunk the first 25 games to start the season. Better off giving the money to TDA who is elite on the PP. I'm surprised nobody took Staal. He's played well this year and he would have cost nothing. Basically a salary dump. Considering how teams were over paying for players. He would have been a good bargain. Once again Lou showed he's a senile buffoon and was washed up years ago as a GM.

username checks out.

also, Lou?

If Carolina doesn't have a competent scouting department, perhaps it does. Getting a 1st for him looks like a total steal.

Skjei off a great rookie season got a ridiculous contract. His stats look fine, but his lack of aggression in front of his net the last couple of years is disgusting. Like some players here-DelZotto, Hayes, Vesey, Smith all come to mind-looks like he forgot the working hard doesn't stop when you make the big club.Which is one thing nobody will ever say about Kreider. Looked way to comfortable and often glided. May be off this he'll get his ass back in gear.

I think it also showed in the corners. Plus I don't think they loved his first pass. It was ineffective which is not a good thing in today's NHL. That 1st pass has to be really good.

I think it also showed in the corners. Plus I don't think they loved his first pass. It was ineffective which is not a good thing in today's NHL. That 1st pass has to be really good.

Real strength of his game is on the offensive side. And his skill set defensively would work better in another system. Plus I don’t think he’s necessarily been coached the best.

Kid has ability and no doubt belongs in NHL. Just needs a fresh start

I can't let this all pass without mentioning this wild story line. I'm surprised one of the writers hasn't picked it up.

Brady Skjei has dazzling rookie season in 2016-17. Ryan Lindgren, who idolized Skjei, one of his brother's best friends as a kid, follows him to the University of Minnesota, is drafted by the Bruins and then comes into Rangers org in the 2018 Rick Nash TDL deal with happy dreams of playing along side his family friend. Skjei falters in his 2nd year but gets a big contract on the assumption that he finds his footing, creating high expectations for his future. Lindgren is looked at as a modestly talented, stay at home workhorse defenseman, likely to have a long tenure in the AHL before graduating to the NHL - if he ever does. Skjei's best NHL buddy Jacob Trouba is acquired by the Rangers and becomes his pairing partner, laying the path for side by side careers for the good friends. Then, as Libor Hajek goes down in the early 2019-20 season, Lindgren is called up to temporarily fill his place on the left side. All is well in Bradyland. But Lindgren actually helps steady the team defense and quickly carves an unlikely spot for himself that prevents Hajek from returning to MSG even after getting over his injury. Meanwhile, Skjei's play goes up and down but he doesn't really right the ship and live up to the big contract as the Rangers face cap constraints caused by their decision to keep Kreider at the deadline. In the end, it is Lindgren's stellar play with Adam Fox that gives the Rangers the flexibility to dump his family friend to free cap space and obtain a second 1st round pick in 2020. It is that, and the fact the Rangers offered Skjei too generous a deal in 2018. If he had signed a more realistic $3.5 million/yr contract, he might still be playing for the Rangers tonight. What was he supposed to do, turn it down?

Wild.