• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trade Brady Skjei to Carolina for 2020 1st Rd Pick

Phil

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hurricanes weren’t alone bidding on Skjei. The Florida Panthers would have loved to get their hands on him. That was their focus the rest of the day after making their deal with Carolina. They were desperate to find a top-four, left-side D who was not a rental player.

The problem, according to two sources, was that Florida was trying to make a dollar-in, dollar-out trade (I think Mike Matheson was offered) in exchange for Skjei. That didn’t make much sense for a Rangers team that was only dealing Skjei away for salary cap reasons after signing Chris Kreider to an extension and looking ahead to offseason, cap-related decisions.

https://theathletic.com/1634385/2020/02/25/lebrun-notebook-wrapping-up-what-did-and-didnt-happen-on-deadline-day/?source=twittered&redirected=1

interesting back stories and more importantly hopeful lessons learned by gorton and company about managing money

What's the lesson? They took a chance on him, signing him to a long term deal off his ELC hoping he'd continue to progress and turn into a bargain. It didn't work out that way, but they we're able to trade him for a first round pick. If anything this trade will lead to more contracts like the one Skjei got.

What's the lesson? They took a chance on him, signing him to a long term deal off his ELC hoping he'd continue to progress and turn into a bargain. It didn't work out that way, but they we're able to trade him for a first round pick. If anything this trade will lead to more contracts like the one Skjei got.

Agreed; they gambled and won with Mika Zibenejad also.

Rangers should do the same with Buchnevich next Summer. Given that he is a pretty stead 40-50 point guy, locking him down for ~4.5 million for 4-5 years would be a no-brainer for me. If that is all he is, you are only paying him market value, and if he finally puts it together like Zibenejad did, you have a bargain superstar.

We see that Skjei?s contract was never a problem to trade. They took a chance, could have had a solid top 4D locked down at a solid contract. Unfortunately he didnt turn into what they hoped and the contract ended up being a ?problem?, but we still flipped it for a 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

We see that Skjei’s contract was never a problem to trade. They took a chance, could have had a solid top 4D locked down at a solid contract. Unfortunately he didnt turn into what they hoped and the contract ended up being a ?problem?, but we still flipped it for a 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yes, I was surprised they just took it. But it shows how much self-inflicted cap pressure we're under due to bad contracts and buy-outs.

Skjei wasn't a bad contract. He was being paid as a #2 pair and the roster construction forced him into a #1 pair role.

That's why the Canes took him. He's not a long term #1LD option for them. He's value at #2LD on a team with a good defensive scheme.

Skjei wasn't a bad contract. He was being paid as a #2 pair and the roster construction forced him into a #1 pair role.

That's why the Canes took him. He's not a long term #1LD option for them. He's value at #2LD on a team with a good defensive scheme.

Yup. And he does have some offensive talent which the Canes need from someone on their blueline with Hamilton out. I think it was a sensible deal for both teams.

Yup. And he does have some offensive talent which the Canes need from someone on their blueline with Hamilton out. I think it was a sensible deal for both teams.

He’s very valuable to any team that is going to deploy him appropriately. Don’t use him heavily in D zone. Don’t saddle him with the hardest defensive assignments on a regular basis. Let him do what he does best, and keep his minutes closer to 20 than 25.

I still think Skjei is going to be a good player. He just needs some better instruction, coaching and some more experience. I wish the guy well.

You can’t just blame coaches. Earlier in his tenure he was really good and trending upwards but has regressed. As much as I like him that falls at his feet

You can’t just blame coaches. Earlier in his tenure he was really good and trending upwards but has regressed. As much as I like him that falls at his feet

That's actually the main reason I do blame the coaching. How does a kid have such a good first year, and then all of a sudden is no longer as effective? Skjei, as much as I always stood behind him and kept saying he's gonna be alright, has had a rather sub par season, to say the least.

This one falls on lack of defensive mentoring/coaching.

The team is really shitty when it comes to shots/scoring opportunities allowed....they have to be one of the lowest rated...I haven't checked.

That's actually the main reason I do blame the coaching. How does a kid have such a good first year, and then all of a sudden is no longer as effective? Skjei, as much as I always stood behind him and kept saying he's gonna be alright, has had a rather sub par season, to say the least.

This one falls on lack of defensive mentoring/coaching.

The team is really shitty when it comes to shots/scoring opportunities allowed....they have to be one of the lowest rated...I haven't checked.

His utilization has been an issue.

He’s an offensive D. Last several years he’s been deployed heavily in the D zone.

Much of his success as a rookie was tied to him playing less than 18 minutes a night, getting lots of offensive zone starts, and playing behind guys who were good defensemen.

All of that has changed