• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Chris Kreider to 7-Year/$45.5 M Extension; $6.5M AAV

Phil

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebuild is officially over!!!

here's how I see it: by re-signing Kreider the rangers are going for a cup run in the next few years. With Panarin, Mika, Shesty, Fox, ADA its the logical thing to do. Panarin has a limited window, another 3-5 years of top notch production and then his numbers will dwindle. So there's that window and why break Zibby's line when its one of the best line in the league.

the rangers will go for it, which in itself is exciting. So expect the rangers to start adding instead of trading away, and that means possibly trading away picks and prospects for roster players.

Big guy, you know as well as anyone it's not the money. We can pick up his 1.875 million raise just on losing Haley and Namestnikov's remaining deal at the end of this season; Look, I've probably beat this to death today, but there's no use anymore.

I'm gonna look at the other side of the coin. This team has seemingly grown very close and that's great! I love watching them jump all over the place when they score or win a game. I gather this is the team they wanna go to battle with.

Yes, we're going to be losing a lot of high priced contracts next season with Staal, Hank, and Smith (if they don't extend them as well!!!) to the tune of about 20 million....but we had a chance to sell high on a guy that's historically been terribly inconsistent, and I've questioned his work ethic countless times.

I did say if they signed him, I'd root for him, and I will stand by my word.

OK. Let's play Devil's advocate. Assuming that you decide to trade instead of extend, which of the offers out there that you heard would you have pulled the trigger on?

When you look at an organization as deep as Colorado, and the proposed return was Martin Kaut, Shayne Bowers, and a late first rounder, I would have been seriously underwhelmed with that return. While not crazy about the 6th or 7th year, retaining Kreider at fair value is much better than two 3rd/4th line players and a scratch lottery ticket of a late round draft pick in my opinion.

Not seeing alot of big name prospects go as the names tick off the board, and that tells me that the market just wasn't there.

• Like 1

OK. Let's play Devil's advocate. Assuming that you decide to trade instead of extend, which of the offers out there that you heard would you have pulled the trigger on?

When you look at an organization as deep as Colorado, and the proposed return was Martin Kaut, Shayne Bowers, and a late first rounder, I would have been seriously underwhelmed with that return. While not crazy about the 6th or 7th year, retaining Kreider at fair value is much better than two 3rd/4th line players and a scratch lottery ticket of a late round draft pick in my opinion.

Not seeing alot of big name prospects go as the names tick off the board, and that tells me that the market just wasn't there.

No use doing it now Muddy...Deal's done, dude...I don't know all the offers that were out there, but apparently keeping him was the better option for Gorton. I can disagree all I want but it ain't doin' me any good, and all it's doing is raising my blood pressure, my man! ;)

I'm gonna ride with it....and hope I was wrong!

No use doing it now Muddy...Deal's done, dude...I don't know all the offers that were out there, but apparently keeping him was the better option for Gorton. I can disagree all I want but it ain't doin' me any good, and all it's doing is raising my blood pressure, my man! ;)

Don't worry about it; you are wrong.

:thumbs:

Don't worry about it; you are wrong.

:thumbs:

If it makes you feel any better, you were wrong about Panarin too! ;)

Don’t worry about if you don’t agree with the few who run this board because they think they are hockey gods then they will just insult you. I post here and there with no response but all well. These guys all believe they are GM’s vs someone’s opinion. Most of them all believe they are Legends in there own minds

opinions differ but I don't recall anyone calling you an idiot or not smart

I was looking for that too...Did I say the price was too high or something? I can't remember man! LOL

You were concerned about the timing of it based on the state of the Rangers rebuild if I remember correctly....and I'm too lazy to search all the Panarin threads lol!

You were concerned about the timing of it based on the state of the Rangers rebuild if I remember correctly....and I'm too lazy to search all the Panarin threads lol!

I think you're right....I do remember trying to figure out what they were doing signing a guy for $11+ million while they were "rebuilding"...so to speak. It just didn't make sense...but I had no problem with Panarin the player, from what I recall.

Ozzy is disgusted! He's turning in his Rangers fan card!!

Not yet Sharpy!!! ...I'm saving that for Hank's and Staal's new 7 year, $8.5 million deals this off season!!!! :rofl:

We have skill. By not resigning Kreider we would have had a beautiful wall with a hole in it. Hes a unique player. His role wouldnt have been easily plugged. We definitely got him on a nice discounted AAV. Let's take it. Better to go forward with this certainty than take a risk, prolong the process, and potentially take 2 steps backward. No complaints here.

Not too many smart posters here. This is a solid deal, maybe one year too many but solid. He?s found the right players around him therefore he?ll flourish

I love a power forward who?s not afraid to charge the net

That's a horrible trend. Look at the Rangers buyouts. Theyre strapped by the Lundqvist, Smith and Staal deals. 1 or 2 years too many is an issue.

But yes, it could have been worse.

go away, chump. 11 posts and nothing but insults

Now it matters how many posts one has? so you have over 6000. Big diddy. Some have 70-80 thousand and run the site. The poster is correct. Some people here seem to think that their all about everything and know all about everything. Most of them are negative B.S.'ers that love to hit on peeps that they don't like or agree with.

That's a horrible trend. Look at the Rangers buyouts. Theyre strapped by the Lundqvist, Smith and Staal deals. 1 or 2 years too many is an issue.

But yes, it could have been worse.

As long contracts go, Kreider at 7 years is moderately risky. It could obviously have been worse.

IMO, there are two flashpoints on this contract. The first is 2021-22, when I believe BOTH the CBA and the TV deal are up. That should introduce some big money and a nice cap increase, and I assume additional powers to mitigate cap hits, since the owners always get SOMETHING in the CBA negotiations.

The second is in 2023 or so, when Kreider's footspeed starts to go. He's smart enough that I believe he'll adapt his game to the next most logical thing - park your ass in front of the net and play the grind game.