• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Chris Kreider to 7-Year/$45.5 M Extension; $6.5M AAV

Phil

The hottest rental player, sure, but all of the names and rumored offers being thrown around weren't good enough..

This. They weren?t gong to trade him for peanuts. It looked to me like they just weren?t satisfied with any of the offers and thus they came up with a relative contract compromise. The Rangers gave him an extra year but the kept the AAV down.

Past the trade deadline, the longer the Rangers waited to resign Kreider, the higher the salary would have gone or risk getting ZERO come July 1st.

I?m not thrilled with the 7 years but the AAV makes it acceptable in today?s NHL.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clear heads in NYR management have prevailed. Probably be a multitude of moaners, groaners, carpers, pessimists, et al because the NYR signed#20 to a long term deal. Oh, poor babies. Take a deep breath & T.G. Just try sticking with the head of the YAYSAYERS OF AMERICA. We have mucho room for new recruits. A period of indoctrination is required in order to be a genuine, loyal Y*A*Y*S*A*Y*E*R. I'm as happy as a pig in S$&T over this extension. The head wizard is having a major melt down. Others are griping about age, term, physical condition going forward. Give it up, peeps. It's done and now it's time to focus on the possibility of a play-off position. H.F!

:cheers::happy::drool::pbjtime::clap:

If krieder gives you 5 or 6 years of 25ish goals, isn’t it worth it?

Yes.

It's hard to truly say that this is going to be a disaster contract, largely due to circumstances we just don't understand yet. We almost unanimously think he's going to be "worth it" for at least 2 more years - that's a big benchmark. 2 more years means both a new TV rights deal for the NHL AND in all likelihood, a new CBA with some new rules. Both of those could have significant impact on both the cap and the flexibility it affords us.

I'm good with the deal, another building block rather than a step backwards if he were to leave. Obviously would of preferred 6 year vs 7 year deal but the AAV is fair in my book. Certainly don't hate it. Do hope they make more moves today. Got a pit in my stomach hearing JD talk about the car accident.

Anything below what Hayes got has got to be considered a hometown discount. Six or seven years from now, 6.5 will be what 4.5 is today. Just can't tear up the team three years in a row, and that's what trading him would have been. This increases the chance of a Hank buyout in order to try to sign ADA. Strome is replaceable.

Definitely count me as a yes. The extra year is not that big of a deal in the bigger scheme of things.

It feels like this board is split almost 50/50 on this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Kreider and his 6-7 million isn?t the problem. It?s the other 10+ millions being pissed away on previous bad contracts and washed up stars.

It feels like this board is split almost 50/50 on this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Certainly like the player.

Salary is fair

Hate! Repeat, HATE! Paying him for 7 years.

We’ve been down this road with others, so many times. It’s never worked. In literally every case under comparable circumstances (around age 30 or over, too much in term) it’s always ended in that player being a significantly diminished player with several years remaining on his contract and the team needing to find a way out via a buyout or a burial or what have you.

I think his next few seasons will be very good.

But we’ve still never seen him put it together for a full season.

We’ve seen many power forwards erode around age 32ish.

What younger player(s) are sacrificed as a result of this?

Does this trigger another buyout, which they shouldn’t do?

And I also think another 1st round pick in this draft would have been really nice to have.

To me, the negative implications outweigh the positive ones.

• Like 1

Certainly like the player.

Salary is fair

Hate! Repeat, HATE! Paying him for 7 years.

We’ve been down this road with others, so many times. It’s never worked. In literally every case under comparable circumstances (around age 30 or over, too much in term) it’s always ended in that player being a significantly diminished player with several years remaining on his contract and the team needing to find a way out via a buyout or a burial or what have you.

I think his next few seasons will be very good.

But we’ve still never seen him put it together for a full season.

We’ve seen many power forwards erode around age 32ish.

What younger player(s) are sacrificed as a result of this?

Does this trigger another buyout, which they shouldn’t do?

And I also think another 1st round pick in this draft would have been really nice to have.

To me, the negative implications outweigh the positive ones.

:+1:

This team should contend for the Cup in 2-3 years. Kreider should (hopefully) be in fine shape.

Agree it?s a bit long but $6.5M is ok. The chemistry with ZIB is ideal. Leadership for up and coming corps. He?s here for the Panarin Era. I can swallow this today. Gonna? need Heimlich maneuver in year 7, maybe 6 too.

I can't help it;

They have the single HOTTEST rental player in the league....

Could acquire some really nice pieces to add to a very exciting team that's REBUILDING...

..and they go and fuck the duck!!!

Agree they could have gotten...and had to give up too. Come back off the ledge Oz. It?ll be ok for a few years. I hope. I pray.

Agree it’s a bit long but $6.5M is ok. The chemistry with ZIB is ideal. Leadership for up and coming corps. He’s here for the Panarin Era. I can swallow this today. Gonna’ need Heimlich maneuver in year 7, maybe 6 too.

Okay

But what if it’s year 5? Year 4?

Guess what?

That’s entirely possible and if you look, historically it’s probable.

Agree they could have gotten...and had to give up too. Come back off the ledge Oz. It’ll be ok for a few years. I hope. I pray.

Big guy, you know as well as anyone it's not the money. We can pick up his 1.875 million raise just on losing Haley and Namestnikov's remaining deal at the end of this season; Look, I've probably beat this to death today, but there's no use anymore.

I'm gonna look at the other side of the coin. This team has seemingly grown very close and that's great! I love watching them jump all over the place when they score or win a game. I gather this is the team they wanna go to battle with.

Yes, we're going to be losing a lot of high priced contracts next season with Staal, Hank, and Smith (if they don't extend them as well!!!) to the tune of about 20 million....but we had a chance to sell high on a guy that's historically been terribly inconsistent, and I've questioned his work ethic countless times.

I did say if they signed him, I'd root for him, and I will stand by my word.