• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Chris Kreider to 7-Year/$45.5 M Extension; $6.5M AAV

Phil

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I don't have much problem with this contract. 6.5M is a great AAV. That's absolutely nothing when the cap is probably up close to 100 million in another 5 years.

Preferably, I would have traded him and signed him in the summer for the same thing. Especially with Shesterkin now out. But that must not have been an option, or the Rangers didn't want to take the risk of losing him on this deal. They were also probably getting pretty shitty offers. A 1st and a C prospect isn't enough.

This is obviously the ideal scenario of having your cake and eating it too. But, in practice, this rarely happens, no matter how much the player loves the team that trades them. When was the last time that happened?

All I can say is they better have a plan to rid themselves of Smith, Staal and/or Hank that doesn't include a buyout.

If Deangelo is the casualty here I don't see how you're ahead.

I don't think there's any way DeAngelo is the guy they lose. He's too important now that the Rangers have clearly established that the time is really now. They may fall short this year given the ground they have yet to make up, but expectations will be very high next year. If they don't meet them, Quinn is probably the first guy to go.

I can't help it;

They have the single HOTTEST rental player in the league....

Could acquire some really nice pieces to add to a very exciting team that's REBUILDING...

..and they go and fuck the duck!!!

The hottest rental player, sure, but all of the names and rumored offers being thrown around weren't good enough.

The only good one was via TheAthletic when, I think it was Dreger, mused about Kyrou and a 1st from STL. That was never happening.

The hottest rental player, sure, but all of the names and rumored offers being thrown around weren't good enough.

The only good one was via TheAthletic when, I think it was Dreger, mused about Kyrou and a 1st from STL. That was never happening.

I agree. You know what you have in Kreider. He’s playing well. Why trade him for picks that can become nothing when you know you’re getting atleast 20 goals a year from him for the foreseeable future.

Maybe not this season, but the next 4 or 5. Then you do sign this deal

I actually agree that not only do they think they’re closer to competitive than they appear, but hey actually are closer.

I think that when Kakko figures it out, it comes quickly, and he’s dominant. I’m very encouraged by Chytil, Fox, ADA.

Long story short, I think there’s big steps coming next year.

But there’s big implications long-term on paying Kreider for 7 years.

I’m fine with him being here

I think the money is fair.

But it’s 2 years too many.

Even at 5 years I felt they’d be paying for a year of non-production.

At 7 years they’re staring down the barrel of 3 years of that.

How’d that go with other guys they did this for?

I think if the Rangers don't win by the 7th year of his contract, they're fucked anyway and might be starting another rebuild. This run that they've been on possibly opened the window a little this year. It should remain open for the next 5-6 years I'd imagine. I never liked the possible returns being talked about for Kreider so I'm much happier with him coming back. Didn't love the 7th year but it's not really all that important right at this moment.