• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Chris Kreider to 7-Year/$45.5 M Extension; $6.5M AAV

Phil

The salary cap goes up pretty much every year. Not a huge amount but it does. Also, there should be a decent cap increase when the NHL signs it’s new tv deal. 6.5m in 4+ years won’t be too bad at all, even if he is more of a 20 goal scorer rather than pushing 30 goals.

Plus as I already said, 4 years or so from now we better be in the finals or have won regardless. This rebuild isnt forever and we have the pieces.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was a legit point per game player for 5 seasons on not great teams in the best defensive era in the sport’s history.

Big. Skilled. Fast

Really hard to play against. Got hacked, slashed, etc. all the time because of that

It’s different now for sure. But that shit still goes on, albeit to a lesser degree.

Even his last year being past his prime he was still almost a point per game player the year after the lockout. I know that year in general was pretty offense-heavy, but still.

Fortunately, CK is not carrying the puck up the middle with his head down, and Scott Stevens is not waiting for him.

exactly. Look I’m not saying I can tell you with absolute certainty that he will be physically great the whole contract but I believe he will be and so do the Rangers. I think JD said it best yesterday. His physical attributes aside he works hard to keep himself in tremendous shape and is smart about it

Paying Kreider till he?s 36 could hurt that too.

Know how I know?

Cause when they?ve done it before it?s hurt every time

But now we have so much young talent that i don't really see it hurting us as long as they keep putting the right pieces on this team. Just because it hurt us in a situation before doesn't mean it will this time. Seems like the Rangers really have this team moving in the right direction now.

No

Panarin is one of the leagues best players. You can pay an elite guy for 7 years.

Kreider is not

Just look at the deals they?ve given out to guys in that tier below elite. The good to very good player on long-term UFA deals or extensions has always hurt them.

Just a fact

Kreider isn't getting paid like an elite player though.

21. At all-star, one individual speculated that six years at $6.75-million AAV would keep Chris Kreider in Manhattan. He was almost bang-on, with seven years and $6.5 being the final numbers. A few potential pursuers indicated afterward they always believed that would be the eventual outcome, although it was in doubt as late as Sunday afternoon. I heard there was one particular team that engaged, but the two sides could not agree on parameters. Educated guess is Colorado, but they weren’t willing to go where the Rangers needed them to go.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-joe-thornton-toronto-maple-leafs-kyle-dubas/