• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Chris Kreider to 7-Year/$45.5 M Extension; $6.5M AAV

Phil

I don't mind this deal at all. I mean it would be nice if it was 1 year less but the money is right and makes the 7 years feel better. The biggest thing for me is not breaking up the chemistry this team has by getting rid of one of their biggest leaders in Kreider. This team has a very good chance of being good/great for a long time and trading Kreider could of hurt that.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind this deal at all. I mean it would be nice if it was 1 year less but the money is right and makes the 7 years feel better. The biggest thing for me is not breaking up the chemistry this team has by getting rid of one of their biggest leaders in Kreider. This team has a very good chance of being good/great for a long time and trading Kreider could of hurt that.

Paying Kreider till he’s 36 could hurt that too.

Know how I know?

Cause when they’ve done it before it’s hurt every time

All the data: Pro NHL forwards generally peak at 27/28 and then decline.

BSBH: I don't buy it, the college whippersnappers home on break take it easy on me during pickup.

Sounds legit.

Sign everyone you like til they're 42.

Been a rough day for you Petey. Your least favorite player is staying out lol. Hey look at the bright side with the Skjei trade Strome probably isn’t going anywhere yet

They can give Strome a Pageau contract now so he can play on the 4th line with Kreider in 4 years. Or something like th

oh no that can’t be. Only Kreider is gonna be on the 4th line being “lazy” while Strome lights it up haha. In all seriousness I like that we have two lines that have great chemistry. I love getting the extra first too

'Brander's team also found that forwards:

Improve more quickly than they decline and typically begin "a significant decline in their early 30s."

Perform within 90 per cent of their peak from 24 to 32 years old.'

https://www.cbc.ca/news/when-nhl-players-peak-hockey-metrics-1.2646054

So for a power forward, I'd expect 4 solid years from Kreider. With the modified no-trade list, there is some flexibility when the Rangers get to year 4, 5, 6. With Ryan Callahan, he got moved to a contender that was looking to add one more piece.

I don't love the length of the deal, but at least there isn't a no move clause. You've got a forward core to build around Panarin, Zib, and Kreider. Still a lot of contracts expiring in the next year or two, and decisions to be made.

love how no one talks about what JD, Gort, and Quinn know best, that CK is about more than just a return on his recent numbers. he?s the locker room, the alpha to the kids, and blue blood leadership through the rebuild. everyone is fine with the AAV but hates the last 2 years. fuck that, the cap goes up every year & we?re trying to win while Mika and Panarin are in their prime. CK is a central piece in that equation, especially with Mika. put a C on him already and let?s get it done.

love how no one talks about what JD, Gort, and Quinn know best, that CK is about more than just a return on his recent numbers. he’s the locker room, the alpha to the kids, and blue blood leadership through the rebuild. everyone is fine with the AAV but hates the last 2 years. fuck that, the cap goes up every year & we’re trying to win while Mika and Panarin are in their prime. CK is a central piece in that equation, especially with Mika. put a C on him already and let’s get it done.

That’s all fair

But you can’t ignore the history of deals like this and how they’ve been burned on them every single time in the past and how they’ve paid a price on them every single time.

That?s all fair

But you can?t ignore the history of deals like this and how they?ve been burned on them every single time in the past and how they?ve paid a price on them every single time.

So the Panarin deal is equally if not worse based on the term and at 11.6M?

So the Panarin deal is equally if not worse based on the term and at 11.6M?

No

Panarin is one of the leagues best players. You can pay an elite guy for 7 years.

Kreider is not

Just look at the deals they’ve given out to guys in that tier below elite. The good to very good player on long-term UFA deals or extensions has always hurt them.

Just a fact

Same here.

I'll worry about it down the road. I don't share the same fear that Kreider or Panarin for thst matter are going to magically become liabilities when they hit a certain age. They both clearly make the team better for the foreseeable future.

It's not always about age. Shattenkirk sucked balls prior to even getting older.

IF they went out and paid the same term for the best available forward who was the same age but not named Kreider I think the concern wouldn't be as significant.

Regardless of all that he's here, the deal is done do hopefully it pays off. I'm guessing that's something we can all agree on [emoji106]

Same here.

I'll worry about it down the road. I don't share the same fear that Kreider or Panarin for thst matter are going to magically become liabilities when they hit a certain age. They both clearly make the team better for the foreseeable future.

It's not always about age. Shattenkirk sucked balls prior to even getting older.

IF they went out and paid the same term for the best available forward who was the same age but not named Kreider I think the concern wouldn't be as significant.

Regardless of all that he's here, the deal is done do hopefully it pays off. I'm guessing that's something we can all agree on [emoji106]

Right. 1.8 million more next year than this year. I don't see the problem.

Rangers have a shit load of young, talented players. Not sure what else you could want. Now they're set up to take a run at the playoffs AND pick twice in the 1st round. Really remarkable when you think about it.

I'll worry about 2027 when we get there.

6.5 will be pennies two years from now. I'm glad he's back. At some point you have to dig in and move forward instead of continually tearing down.

By 2025 if we haven’t gotten to a cup final or won a cup, we have bigger problems than Kreiders 1.8m extra cap space. Wtf are we playing for if not a cup with Ziby, Kreider, Bread, et al ?

• Like 1

Get rid of everybody at 28. That'll work.
Name one player that got moved at 29 or we let walk as a UFA and we sat there 4 years later and said "Wish we still had him"

Now name the guys we signed at 29 or 30 and let me know how those deals turned out.